Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Themes
christianb
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there is a way to do a complete refresh of a theme every 3-5 minutes. I've got content on my site that refreshes at its location but is static on my website. I have tried editing meta.php and did the content and 60 seconds and 10 seconds, neither of which work.

Is there anythingt that might work?

If there isn't a cure for my ailment, is there code that I can put in a block that can refresh the block every so often?
Thanks!

64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote

I'm a little lost.

Content should update automatically whenever it is changed.

The only exception to this would be RSS feeds that are "fetching" data that may have time switches to refresh on a schedule.

christianb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote

The only time it changes is when the page gets manually reloaded. I want it to automatically reload the main page. I don't use RSS feeds - not that I don't want to - just never have.

64bitguy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote

When you say when a page gets manually reloaded, I'm assuming what you mean is if anyone on any given page either hits "Refresh" "Reload" or clicks on that link to force the page to be reloaded in the browser.

If so, this is the way Nuke works as most web software and is actually the best and really only way to handle data management. There are exceptions to what can be persistant (like a helpdesk screen once opened) but not general pages.

The reason being is that Nuke cannot support (nor would you want it to) "persisant connections" due to the fact that it establishes cookie based security, as well as because of a number of other reasons.

This is good for a number of reasons, but primarily that it is not needlessly wasting bandwidth by continuously sending data that may (or may not) have changed. The refresh is caused automatically on any page revisited.

If it did not work this way, what you would see are robots that would be sucking as much as 100GB of your allocated bandwidth each, just to scan your site. This would be problematic for a number of reasons, least of all being that host would probably ban you after a week. Furthermore, user bandwidth consumption would also skyrocket and slow down your domain because everyone's data would constantly be refreshing. Your database would also grind to a halt and Apache would probably crash every hour on the hour.

Hope that explains it.

christianb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:36 am Reply with quote

Manually reloading means hitting the refresh/reload button in the browser window or hitting F5 on a normal keyboard. I understand how this works now, but I guess that leads me to my second question in my first post.

"If there isn't a cure for my ailment, is there code that I can put in a block that can refresh the block every so often?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Themes

View next topic
View previous topic