Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.6 Bugs/Fixes
64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:20 am Reply with quote

In this thread, I'm going to be listing the individual bugs I have found in 7.6 relating to HTML 4.01 Transitional Compliance.

I have finally managed to get a site going with a 100% compliance homepage! WOO HOO!

I'm now starting on the modules.

Module 1: Feedback
in the index.php file of this module, go to line 63:
OLD 7.6 CODE:
Code:
    <TEXTAREA NAME=\"message\" COLS=30 ROWS=5 WRAP=virtual>$message</TEXTAREA></p>

NEW 7.6 CODE:
Code:
    <textarea name=\"message\" cols=\"30\" rows=\"5\">$message</textarea></p>

This change makes this module 100% HTML 4.01 Transitional Compliant.

Bugs in Submit News Module:
in the index.php file of this module, go to line 93:
OLD 7.6 CODE:
Code:
   ."("._AREYOUSURE.")</font><br><br>"

NEW 7.6 CODE:
Code:
   ."("._AREYOUSURE.")<br><br>"

go to line 102:
OLD 7.6 CODE:
Code:
   ."<br>("._SUBPREVIEW.")</form>";

NEW 7.6 CODE:
Code:
   ."<br>("._SUBPREVIEW.")</font></form>";

These changes make this module 100% HTML 4.01 Transitional Compliant.

Bugs in Topics Module:
Go to lines 42 and 43:
OLD 7.6 CODE:
Code:
   ."<form action=\"search.html\" method=\"post\">"

."<input type=\"name\" name=\"query\" size=\"30\">&nbsp;&nbsp;"

NEW 7.6 CODE:
Code:
."<form action=\"search.html\" method=\"post\">"

."<input size=\"30\" type=\"text\" name=\"query\" value=\"$query\">&nbsp;&nbsp;"

These changes make this module 100% HTML 4.01 Transitional Compliant. I also think this makes the search feature actually work.

More tomorrow. Smile

Last edited by 64bitguy on Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total 
Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:25 am Reply with quote

If I were you I would also be making it xhtml. In any event, no tags should be capitalized and all attributes should be enclosed in quotes, as in

<textarea name=\"message\" cols=\"30\" rows=\"5\">$message</textarea></p>

64bitguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Hi Raven...

I haven't been bothering with the caps as there are about a million instances of them (I mean they are EVERYWHERE). I know they will be a serious problem in XHTML, but I think there are a lot of other XHTML problems in there too. I guess I'll start fixing those too as I come across them, but what this will mean is that I won't be able to post those compliance issues as there are simply too many of them. It would mean that every file will be changed, easier to simply report a new build. I'll probably end up doing that though since I've made so many changes to 7.6.

The quotes I should have known better about quotes too, since I've been fixing those things in about 500 other places...

On that note, I spent two days on my Mtechnik theme and ended up fixing 500+ instantances of both of these types of things, but finally gave up on it when I found 3 different "colspan" situations using "background" that I just can't do anything about, nevermind a few other problems like non-compliant scrolling header text, and a pixelation problem in the theme that I can't fix without the .psd which would never be release by Mtechnik (or at least that's my understanding anyway). I begged for help over there for months, but nobody would reply. Given the announcement on your homepage, I guess my goose is cooked and all the time I spent on the theme (way too much time) is a write off.

I'm moving on in that regard by starting with a new CSS theme and modding the heck out of it. It'll probably end up costing me money too since it uses autothemes, but alas, I can find no other solution that is compliant as a baseline. (Well, it wasn't either, even though it was supposed to be, but I fixed it.) Smile

Both of your comments are excellent points, I was simply concentrating on stuff that made it break, but I'll go back and edit my post to reflect this information properly.. no sense in being messy.... FB does enough of that for all of us.

But for goodness sake.. let me get to html 4.01 transitional compliance before even thinking about XHTML... lol.. I'll try to address those where I can though.

I'm really worried about the forums port. I've found some huge issues in there including the fact that it even tries to pass additional <HEAD> tags and properties in a variety of places that are, well after these functions have closed as part of Nuke.

I'm going to be working on that today. Hopefully I can fix some of these things without breaking forums completely. I'm having a heck of a time finding where the link properties are, as they are all missing &amp; functions, etc... and those alone are causing at least 85 errors. (Ideas on where to look?)

Thanks for the heads up.. I'll try to be less sloppy. I went back and adjustment my original post to fix those.

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote

I think most of those head and body tag issues can easily be fixed. Most themes these days (mine included) use background images in a ton of places where it isn't compliant.

64bitguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:20 pm Reply with quote

sixonetonoffun wrote:
Most themes these days (mine included) use background images in a ton of places where it isn't compliant.

Yeah, and that's just not right.

Why produce non-compliant themes? I just don't get it.

If I wanted sloppy junk, I'd use FB's default solutions.

"Pretty", is not the same as "Pretty and well written".

Oh well....

SuperCat
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:56 pm Reply with quote

I've been able to make about 80% of nuke XHTML transitional. Two areas i had to give up on is the Your Account module and the forum.

The your account module is a disaster and needs a complete rewrite.

The forum spits out a new <head> section when you view it. A head inside a body will never be complaint in any form.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.6 Bugs/Fixes

View next topic
View previous topic