Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:05 am Reply with quote

What is your 'dream' application, whether nuke related or not? Please be as specific as possible. Please restrict it to PHP and MySQL.

Rage
Insane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote

A CMS that is blazingly fast and uses next to no SQL queries. Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:11 pm Reply with quote

ROTFL

Rage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
ROTFL

One day Raven, one day... Twisted Evil

Tao_Man
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote

A news clipping service, not just go out and get backend.php from some nuke sites. With some fuzzy logic/AI that I can train to get the stories I want and not those I don't.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:34 pm Reply with quote

A CMS tool that actually is designed with also the Site Admin in mind in terms of user / account / group / permission management in mind. I am trying to wade through the various "hacks" out there for giving the Admin control over who gets access to what and nothing I find is truelly geared for true management of these things.

I would think that a well-designed cms/portal system would have these administrative functions around permission management:

- Management of User Groups (new, change, delete)
- Management of User activation (either manual or automatic)
- Management of Users to User Groups (should be allowed to have multiple groups assigned to a user, should be admin assigned unless automatic activation is desired). *** This is the piece that I cannot find anywhere along with multiple user group permissions on modules / blocks / etc. (I think only Forums has it somewhat).
- Management of User Groups to Permissions for ALL modules and blocks, including Forums (i.e, basically every function and feature should be User Group aware.
- The Union of a user's User Groups determines permissions on each of these (i.e., a user could be a member of multiple groups and the show/hide of modules/blocks and other functions should look at the entire union of groups to determine function.
- User login and new user creation should be SSL enabled (preferences switch would be nice). The login block should also have a "security policy" and/or "privacy policy" links/text.

I am sure that I can come up with more details behind every one of these. I am so frustrated in my search of phpNuke "hacks" to do these things and am coming up way short. I am not looking to have a self-running, somewhat anarchist type web site: I want a nice family / friend Portal that will allow users to participate in the site's content and fun, but not have the site run "amuck" with unwanted visitors. I was hoping that phpNuke would be able to serve that "bill". I guess if I had only ONE type of user, I could probably make due with just the Account Activation hack, but was hoping to do more with the site.

I may have to learn PHP, mySQL and more about phpNuke and re-write it myself... Is there something out there that would fit this "bill"?

montego

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Tao_Man wrote:
A news clipping service, not just go out and get backend.php from some nuke sites. With some fuzzy logic/AI that I can train to get the stories I want and not those I don't.
If you study the screen scraping technique I use in my Stock Quote module, you should be able to design what you want.

TheosEleos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:03 pm Reply with quote

The download and web links admin areas stink. Can you do something with that?

Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:41 pm Reply with quote

My Dream App is a phpnuke that is more like what my PCBoard was in terms of adding modules through some kind of 'door' ... easy plug and play for modules.

My Dream App is a phpnuke that would have groups... members could belong to more than one group and blocks and modules would have permissions for more than one group.

My Dream Module would be a combination of Personal Calendar, FriendFinder, and NukeBlog.

Carry on dreaming... it's always fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:18 am Reply with quote

Dreaming is a great passtime. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic