Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)
dcasmr
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:21 pm Reply with quote

I have installed Sentinel RC4 (about to upgrade to RC5) on my site. For most functions I enabled "Block and e-mail" (Harvesters, Unions, etc...). Well, few people from my job got the Sentinel Block display (permanent Block cause: Harvester) by trying to access my site. Is there an optimal setup that will reduce false-positives? I want the security features, yet I want all genuines users to access my site. Also, where does Sentinel reads the date from ? (My displayed date is incorrect).

Thanks for such a great product !
dcasmr

sharlein
Member Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:42 pm Reply with quote

One way you can do it is just select "email" for Harvester, and then you can decide if they are malicious or not. I think that the availability of all the different choices allows you to soften the blow, or put the hammer down. A very nice option, indeed. After you have installed RC5, there is even more choices available to you.

Former Admin in Good Standing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:26 am Reply with quote

dcasmr, Sentinel pulls the date using the time() php command. This will be the server time so it may appear different to your local time.

On my site I have the Harvest Blocker set to block an ip for 3 days. That way someone using a harvester gets a second chance after that 3 day block out period. On the Union, Clike, Filter, Author, and Script blockers I have it set to permentant. And on the Referer blocker I just have it forward to a not so nice site Smile

Sharlein is correct, each blocker can be set to any one of 7 responses so you can tailor it to your site's needs and your comfort level.

dcasmr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Bob and Sharlene: Thanks for the great feedback ! Sentinel had already saved me from hackers. I am seeing some blocked IPs already for "Union". This product is highly effective.

dcasmr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)

View next topic
View previous topic