Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.3
damainman
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:18 pm Reply with quote

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't sure exactly where to post this.

I'm going to create a nuke site which i'm planning to heavily modify, and someone recently told me about Sentinal and this site to make the phpnuke site more secure.

I'm looking for advice on what route to take for the phpnuke installation. Would it be better to install phpnuke from the main phpnuke site, and then install sentinal, or should i go ahead and use the modified phpnuke download located on this site.

Any advice, replies, or comments are appreciated.

Thank you.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:53 am Reply with quote

7.3 from the phpnuke.org site will cost you. It's free here. The version here already has the 2.5 security patches applied from Chatserv. All that would be left it to install Sentinel, also available on this site Wink

damainman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:59 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the info,

So basically install the there version form here, and also install sentinel?

One more question i have is, if i heavily modify the phpnuke site, will it be some-what easy upgrading to the newer versions of sentinel, etc?

Thank you in advance for your replies. I'll be installing phpnuke tommarow mourning. You should considering offering your downloads on the fantastico autoinstaller Wink

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:02 am Reply with quote

I will on the Fantastico, although I wasn't aware that you could do that!

Sentinel upgrading facility is one of the best out there and that's no brag, just fact, as Walter Brennan used to say on "The Gun's of Will Sonnett"! No problem at all because we don't touch any core files Wink

damainman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:06 am Reply with quote

Well i'm sure if you contact fantastico, they will replace their original phpnuke download with your modified version. I'm sure people will be glad about the higher secruity. Thank you for your advice Smile

Heres the request link if you need it: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

damainman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote

One last question before i get started. Does sentinel modify files, or just the database? Just asking because i'm planning to heavily modify my nuke site.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Sentinel does not modify any nuke files. It adds modules/blocks to the ftp site and adds2 tables, but it is self-contained.

damainman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:50 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for your patience and support, but i just have one last question.

I wasn't sure which package to download, I downloaded the patched 7.3 from chatserv. Is this a full phpnuke install package, or do i need to install phpnuke first then upload these files, I was alittle confused because i couldn't find a install script or sql file. I also looked at the readme and basics files, are those changes i need to make or changes that were made to secure phpnuke?

Do i download this:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Or just download this:

Thank you in advance for your reply

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quote

The first one. That is the nuke system without Chat's patches applied. Chat's patches are just that - patches. After you download the first one, download the second one and just overlay the files in the first one.

damainman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote

thank you, that clears things up for me. Now time to get to work Smile

Also, do i need to worry about the readme, and basics file? Do i need to make those changes, or is that a listing of changes that were made through the patches?

Also on your download page, you said 7.3 is not worth it, to download 7.2. Would it be a bad idea to use 7.3?

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote

Use 7.3 for new installs. My point was that 7.2 with Chat's patches (at that time) was the same as 7.3. So, if you had 7.2 and applied his patches, you had, in essence, 7.3. It never hurts to read the accompanying documentation, but you don't need to to apply/overlay the changes.

damainman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:09 pm Reply with quote

okay thank you. Smile i appreciate you taking your time to reply to my questions.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:18 pm Reply with quote

NP at all!

chatserv
Member Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:02 pm Reply with quote

To confirm what Raven said the html files included with the patches only give a general idea of what steps were taken to patch Nuke, since the time they were written much has changed but like i have said when asked making a step by step guide to modifying the files manually would require too much time and work and even then not everyone would be able to make the changes without running into problems or making errors but applying the patch is a one time task for those that have modified sites, those starting a new site will have no problem at all, after it has been applied keeping up on changes and updates is as simple as keeping an eye on the changelog forum at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] all changes are detailed there, with these you can make sure you are as secure as humanly possible without having to replace the files ever again.

damainman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:08 am Reply with quote

Thank you, i installed both the phpnuke and the patches, and everything seems to be working perfectly Smile

damainman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote

Okay just curious,

I installed the phpnuke 7.3 from here, and installed chatservs patches. Tonight i will install sentinel, is there anything else you suggest i install? Also is there any updates to anything that you may know about that wasn't included within the download packages?

Thank you.

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote

damainman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.3

View next topic
View previous topic