Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Issues/Problems With This Site
kingjames
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote

I have been trying for quite some time to register here and was not able, each time I got to the finish part I was redirected to the site below, finally in frustration I tried registering in IE which I haven't used in years instead of Firefox, this time I got no redirect and things went fine. I thought I should probably mention this to someone here and since I had no idea where to put it I chose here. Feel free to move it if it belongs somewhere else.

chicksgalore.ravenphpscripts.com/

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote

Thanks ! Moved the post and edited the link.

jdvanpelt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote

I experienced exactly the same problem all evening here, started in Chrome, tried IE and then FF, all of them at the point where you make the final Register click to receive the new user confirmation email, redirects to:

chicksgalore.ravenphpscripts.com/

...with a non-working link to a cgi.bin dir.

It was quite frustrating because of course I couldn't request help here without registering Wink

I finally was able to complete the registration using the Amazon Silk browser on my Kindle Fire.

I am on Win7 Home Premium SP1 64bit.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote

I just registered a test username using Firefox. Went fine. I would suggest that you run one or more virus tests on your computer.

@SITEADMINS ... YOU can delete the username fkellytesting.

jdvanpelt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote

I will run the tests, although
(a) I recently did (in the past week) without any problems
(b) it would seem slightly odd that a random virus on my machine would exhibit exactly the same behavior (the chicksgalore glitch) that another user experienced 4 months ago. But I guess it's possible.

Thanks for checking into it.

Doulos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote

If it was something to do with this site, wouldn't you think it odd that it didn't occur when you used a different browser? More likely it is something do do with your machine, but as I always say "what do I know?".

jdvanpelt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote

Doulos wrote:
If it was something to do with this site, wouldn't you think it odd that it didn't occur when you used a different browser? More likely it is something do do with your machine, but as I always say "what do I know?".

I guarantee practically anyone knows better than me. Your reasoning seems sound. I have a full MWB scan running in safe mode, and I'll follow that with a full CCCLean and full Trendmicro scan. I do not expect to find anything, but I will report back. I might feel differently if I were experiencing any analogous problems or anything unexplained, particularly with form submissions. I haven't been.

Here on a completely separate computer, a laptop I only use for work and which is heavily shielded from malware, I was also unable to register via Firefox (same error as above) but successfully registered using IE.

This is a weird virus.

(Also googled "chicksgalore virus" and got nothing really relevant. It does not seem to be a recognized pattern.)

jdvanpelt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote

Update: MalwareBytes Full scan came up completely clean. Trend Micro running now.

Two further comments:

- It appears that chicksgalore.ravenphpscripts.com is actually a valid subdomain of this site. So I'm not sure how that fits the theory of a virus on my machine.

- If any non-negligible number of users encountered an experience like mine -- unable to register for download, and equally unable to register in forums in order to get help -- a lot of them might have given up. This would be reflected (maybe) in a falloff of new registrations and new downloads over some period of time. That could be checked.

But as Doulos so eloquently put it: What do I know? Very Happy

EDIT Feb 27: To complete my report above, Trend Micro came up clean as well.

Last edited by jdvanpelt on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total 
duck
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote

I believe there is issues with this site and it is not either of the users who posted. I have been having strange behaviour here for a while and have noticed others posting comments of the same types of errors I have had like the downloads issue and refreshing etc.

duck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote

@Doulos Sorry but that is illogical logic. One browser working while another doesn't does not preclude the site from being culprit.

Doulos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote

Didn't say it did preclude it. Only thought it would be odd. Especially since it was IE that worked, don't ya know. And, besides, I qualified it with, "what do I know", so I am covered. Smile

jdvanpelt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote

Doulos wrote:
Didn't say it did preclude it. Only thought it would be odd. Especially since it was IE that worked, don't ya know. And, besides, I qualified it with, "what do I know", so I am covered. Smile

To be clear, that was a prior user. In my case, nothing on Windows worked, including IE. I couldn't register until I got on the Droid (Kindle Fire).

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Everyone, please relax. That is a legitimate subdomain and has been since April/2011. It is a redirect to/for a Honeypot. I will have to investigate as to why a few legitimate users have been redirected there.

@Duck: Please send to me a list of your issues and strange behaviors. I discount that the refresh issues are mine to control. Those are browser issues imo. And i don't know what download issues there are but I'm sure you'll tell me Smile.

Raven

duck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote

I strongly disagree that it is not your issue Raven sorry. I have none of these issues on other sites and I have seen some of them from Different Browser and even Different Operating Systems on Different Computers from completely Different IP's! To me that points strongly to the fact there is an issue with your site and I would believe most of it is probably related to some caching system on the site. For example just to reply to this thread I am on a friends computer 100 miles from my house using Linux with a completely Different version of Firefox than what I use at home on my Win 7 machine. I logged in and tried to follow the llink after login from my email to this page. I hit the reply button and I am redirected to your account already logged in? I have yet to test some of the other bugs that have happened to me at home while I am here but I am confident some of them will creep up. But here is a list of what happens at home and most of it doesn't matter which browser I am using.

For downloads I kept logging in and then would try to download something (well RN2.5) it would tell me I am not logged in and redirect me and keep doing this on a loop. Actually I think it went like this I log in hit the download page. I am still logged in and then when it asks me for the GFX check code after I fill that in and submit I would get redirected and told I am not logged in. I solved it by after logging in and visiting the first page of download I would relogin again I think or something to that affect before I was finally successful.

While posting in forums I will often add a post and sometimes after page refresh it is not there and I have to do it 2 or 3 times before successfully. Then I might even see 3 or 4 replies up to some point and come back a few days later and when I look at the forum it is back to showing 3 or 4 replies back as the last post in that forum. The other posts which I have already ready (in some occasions more than once) have disappeared. Lots of other little weird stuff like that constantly. I Swear to you I 100% believe most (if not all) the cause lies within an issue with your site I have not had any problems like this anywhere else that I can recall but I have issues nearly every time I visit here regardless of Browser, OS, or physical machine for that matter.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote

Duck,
I have also seen the caching type issues you've described.

Raven,
I wonder if it might be related to redirects from ravenphpscripts.com to [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] I've noticed similar strange issues on ravennuke.com, and I believe it might be related to redirection there.

spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote

I think it may be related to some of the old code we have hanging around in mimetype.php... at least regarding firefox woes which happens regardless of OS. Firefox claims it is not a browser bug but only occurs when there is a server misconfiguration that sends duplicate or invalid header data. This issue affects many sites, not just this one.

Just fyi, I'm not using mimetype.php in my mobile theme, and the FF cache issue magically disappeared. FF has also been known for being overly aggressive with it's cache, so the most effective method I have found is not allowing php and html files to cache at all. There has been evidence in the past that FF does not properly fire 304 requests for cached files, although that may be related to their server misconfiguration claim.

duck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote

@spastic It is possible that a small amount of blame lies with the browsers but for the record I have had the issues on Chrome as well as Firefox. So a bigger portion must lie within something configured on this site I believe. Although I have probably seen the occaisional cache or redirect issue other places I recall none as consistently erroneous as I find here. I am not pointing this out to ridicule this site or anything I am just trying to let Raven know so he can look into it because if no one lets him know he'll never be aware there is an issue. (I am surprised he hasn't had it happen to himself though)

eldorado
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote

duck ,i also refresh my page several times... but this is a normal behavior for cache...

And your GFX loop weird thing...first time i hear this , i think you have problems with cookies..

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote

duck wrote:
..... a small amount of blame lies with the browsers but for the record I have had the issues on Chrome as well as Firefox.

You're not alone so don't worry. I've had these issues, especially with forum posts, PM notifications keep getting fired etc for around 2 years, using several browsers. Susann and others have also reported the problem.

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote

As I said "imo". You all know that's it's next to impossible to debug an issue when you can't replicate in your own environment, and I can't. I have tested Chrome, IE, FF, and Opera. I have absolutely zero problems concerning caching and downloads. I am running windows7. So, how to figure this one out (rhetorical question) ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Issues/Problems With This Site

View next topic
View previous topic