Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Other - Discussion
PHrEEkie
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote

I am back using FF again, and it is exhibiting a weird behavior that might just be a setting. I switched from IE8 because, even though my IE8 was behaving extremely well (under a fresh XP 64bit), it was consuming massive amounts of memory, especially if I leave a browser open several days (just using tabs). The switch to FF was an amazing reduction of memory usage - absurd really, even using the exact same browsing habits. IE8 would get into the 3.5-3.8gb range (for just a browser with about 8 tabs open?!), and FF rarely goes over 1.5gb. All good there.. now onto the issue.

In IE8, I use the 'View posts since last visit' link on all phpBB 2.x boards I frequent. If I post, or view a post, and come back out, click it again, I'm refreshed (read posts are marked, etc). This is IE8, and this is the behavior I would expect - never thought twice about it.

In FF, if I do the same thing, when I click the 'View since' link again, I get a cached page. I have to click twice, once on the 'View since' link, and then on the actual Refresh button up near the address bar. Every time I click that link, I get old content, no matter how many minutes or even hours later.

So, if anyone is expert with FF settings, is there a cache setting that I need to tweak? I would certainly hate to just shut caching off completely.

Thanks,
- Keith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote

by the way.. to clarify something..

In IE8, if I read a post and click the BACK button, going backwards to the 'View since' search page, I -will- get a cached page, and I would expect that when using back. But if I come out via the main forum link, and re-click the 'View since' link, I should get a refrshed page, and I do.

In FF, the back button will also show a cached page, but clicking a fresh link from the main Forums will produce a cached page too...

In between posts, I went through all the FF settings again, and cannot see anyway to control this behavior, other than shutting off cache completely.

- Keith

Palbin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan. 
PHrEEkie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote

Next time, tell a noob like meh to use the SEARCH function! heh

Set the config value, on first run, appears to be doing the job!

I tip my hat your general direction, good sir! tyvm = )

- Keith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Other - Discussion

View next topic
View previous topic