Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> KISGB General Support
RadDVDMaker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:28 am Reply with quote

OK I already feel very stupid even posting this after reading other problems in the forms but, not ventured nothing gained ( or learned )

First off I’ve got kisgb up and running
OK, my problems center around not being able to change settings. I always just edit the user.prefs file and not the config file. Sometimes the settings take affect other times not.
I can replace the header.
I cannot change the admin/password – remove the languages and themes boxes – delete any entries ( there’s just the one – Gaylen’s – but it’s gotta go  Basically I’m trying to streamline it a bit for novice users

In the user.prefs file all this information is what It needs to be – with my settings – but it must get over ride by the config file if I understand how things work.

My next set of questions regards admin privileges. I really thought this was a free program but, when I go and say try to delete the user entry it goes to a page that says demo successful! – so, it is really free?

All right this enough to start with –
Thanks for any help

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:49 am Reply with quote

It would appear that you have not changed the permissions on the user.prefs.php file as instructed in the installation docs. Have you changed the permissions to 664 or 666?

RadDVDMaker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:41 am Reply with quote

Yes, actually I did read the inst. And do understand permissions or at least how to change them. In my WSFTP there aren’t numbers that I can see just, read, write and execute. I have set appropreit folders and files to several combinations all the while assuming each needs to be at least read and write but have also tried execute on all/none to see what changes.
Logically though, why would it accept the “false” I use for header and it disappear and then completely ignore my new UN and Password – it still responds to the one that is in config file.
How about the “demo successful” page? Where is that coming from or is that not the way to delete an entry.

Here’s the link – [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Thanks –
Shawn

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:51 am Reply with quote

You have to initially set up some settings in user.prefs.php directly. Have you done that?

RadDVDMaker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:28 am Reply with quote

You’ll have to be more specific.
These are just some of the parameters that I’ve tried to change within the user.prefs.php file ( by "directly" do you mean on the server? I do all my editing in dreamweaver on my local computer )
These actually work:
$use_header_view = false;
$use_header_sign = false;

These don’t:
$admin_id = "RadDVDMaker";
$admin_pw = "raddy";
$allow_msg_lvl_edit_by_admin = true;
$allow_msg_lvl_edit_by_user = false;
$allow_msg_lvl_delete_by_user = false;
$admin_email_advice_on_gb_edit = true;
$admin_email_address = "shawn.lance@mindspring.com";

Just using this UN and PW until I figure out why it's not taking - feel free to try it yourself.

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:42 am Reply with quote

First of all, DW is notorious for messing up files and most programmers shy away from it. It has a tendancy to add characters to files, mainly because of editing in Windows and saving on *nix. Please do not start a debate; it's not personal. It is well documented concerning this. Notepad and Wordpad are in the same category. Please zip your user.prefs.php file and email it to me (see email button)

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:14 am Reply with quote

Got your files and I think I see the problem. FTP user.prefs.php as binary to your server. The file is all messed up on your server, due to the fact that Dreamweaver isn't adding the proper line feed character.

RadDVDMaker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:51 am Reply with quote

You're right! Question: Always edit with what if not notepad then? - might want to put that is the doc's some where Rolling Eyes
I've got it being more consistant know - Thanks - will tweak from here.
Shawn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> KISGB General Support

View next topic
View previous topic