Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.3 RN Issues
CodyG
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote

I've been trying to track this down this first issue for days and can't figure it out.

I think it might be something to do with with the RavenIce css 'option' ?

This problem appears only in RavenIce *and* only as a user. The block seems to be sucking up the block beneath it. Or, if at the bottom of the left column it's sucking up the right blocks and not showing the footer.

This is what it does and should look like as admin. It behaves correctly.

This is what it looks like as a user. It's all messed up. It doesn't matter what block is beneath it, it's just sucking it up into the menu block.

Any ideas?

Last edited by CodyG on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:05 am; edited 3 times in total 
jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote

The image doesn't appear to be showing.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote

CodyG, once you have the images straightened out so we can see them, please also post which browsers you are having the issues in. If its the newer browsers, then its probably just one bad behaving block?

CodyG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote

The images are on my new picasweb and are showing just fine on this side in IE... but not FireFox! Odd.
I'll transfer them to another place ... wonder why they aren't showing up in FF?

CodyG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Is that better? The images are showing up for me in FF now.

Do you think this is a block problem or a theme problem? If it was a block problem one would think it would be a problem in all themes, and it isn't.

Susann

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote

Had a very similar issue with this theme it was easy to solve through the language file.
I quees you only need to change your Chat blog because something is there too width.
Try change "Enter Live Chat" to "Enter" and see if this helps.

CodyG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote

Thanks Susann ... but it doesn't matter what block is below my menu. I've tried several and none, the menu sucks up whatever is below it. Here is a snip of the menu as bottom left block... it's sucking up the top right block survey!! Some image smudging to protect the innocent, but you can get the idea what my menu is doing in ravenice. If I'm admin, no problem, only users. If another theme no problem at all.

Susann

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote

If you are interested id=1095 in Mantis is about a visual anomaly in this theme I had before with a block and I quess your problem is more or less similar. Something ist too width in your menu block.

gotcha
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote

My guess would be some fouled up html in the menu block. These css themes are quite sensitive to little html errors at times. Can you post(or PM) a link to this site so I can check it out?

CodyG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Unfortunately, we don't have guest accounts and it's a private site, but I'll get it replicated on another test site and send you the link tomorrow.

In the meantime ... see the script here: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Again, when I am logged in as admin, everything works. Only when logged in as a user does it screw up. And, only in ravenice.

gotcha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote

Hi, I installed that block on a test site and it caused all sorts of html errors and swallowed up my right blocks too. Anyhow, I took a few minutes to clean up the html and it works great now. You may have to tweak it a bit to get what you want but its now compliant.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote

Wow, now that is service for you Smile

CodyG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote

Works for me! You all rock. Call me ancient, but on this site with over 50 modules, I really like the simple nav of an A-Z block that does not take up too much real estate.

However, (it's always something) some users with IE 6 are still having menu problems, only in RavenIce theme. They say it now overwrites the center blocks. ???

I'm trying to understand how the blocks work in styles.css but it's still a tad confuddling. Should css be different for IE6?

Last edited by CodyG on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total 
montego

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote

CodyG,

I would be interested to hear if they have the same issues with my site. If not, it might point to another block HTML issue. I am running the stock RavenIce theme there.

When I started to modify the theme into a different one, I started having issues on IE 6 with the floats not showing correctly. I just haven't had time to go back and see if I could fix it.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote

Ah, the infamous Internet Exploder 6 Sad

jakec

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote

M, I use IE6 at work and everything looks OK apart from the sommaire menu. There appears to be an extra line to right of the block.

Also there are two corner images displaying right at the bottom.

I'll email you a screenshot so you can see what I am talking about.

CodyG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote

After a little more exploration and discovery ... it seems more of my old mods are not playing nice with RavenIce, even in IE7. For the simple mods I'm able to fix some of it, by updating old code to new code. (Don't forget, the old code continues to work with old themes.)

For example: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Then there is pnFlashGames module, after fixing the first lines all but one page works ok. But, one script function/page, and or it's included functions, and RavenIce are not playing nice. This is the output... the left-side blocks have moved to the center and the module (no right blocks on) has become a 100% table. hmmmm.

Like so much more of my old mods, pnFlashGames uses $ThemeSel all over the place. Is that variable still supported?
And what about all the html tables in the old mod code? Shouldn't table 100% be 100% of what's between the left and right blocks? Is there something in the .css that's throwing <table> to the left and right of the entire screen?

I love this .css theme, and would like to use it as a site default. So, I'm willing to walk on glass to get my old mods fixed.

gotcha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Basically, the css themes are more prone to get screwed up by sloppy html. It could be one of many things. I've seen people use OpenTable followed by tr/td tags. With normal themes this may work fine because the table is already open. In ravenIce there are no tables so you could see how that could cause problems. Another common problem is unclosed div tags or extra closing div tags.

$ThemeSel should still be available. Also, in your snippet, I don't see the footer.php being included, which would certainly cause display problems.

If you are willing to clean up your old modules I would suggest downloading the "HTML Validator" plugin for firefox. It will list all the html errors/warnings that are screwing up the site. From there it is just making sure the tags are nested correctly in the module's code. Good luck!

CodyG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote

Thanks gotcha ... I'll have a a look at the firefox plugin, although the pnFlashGames issue is only an issue in IE.

Montego... here is the reply from my IE6 user about her visit to your site.

Quote:
Hi Cody, Hey COOL! That link shows up exactly the same way as my problem.

I will try to "show" you in words;
the boxes on the left side (Supported Project, Please Link To Me, Site Menu, Site Info, RSS/XML Feed Previews, etc.) overlap the center/main boxes (...lcome to Montego Scripts, ...ost Recent Forum Posts, ...(tm) V2.3.0 Released, etc.)

All is well as long as I don't choose the RavenIce theme.

j4rdin
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote

CodyG wrote:
Thanks gotcha ... I'll have a a look at the firefox plugin, although the pnFlashGames issue is only an issue in IE.

Montego... here is the reply from my IE6 user about her visit to your site.

Quote:
Hi Cody, Hey COOL! That link shows up exactly the same way as my problem.

I will try to "show" you in words;
the boxes on the left side (Supported Project, Please Link To Me, Site Menu, Site Info, RSS/XML Feed Previews, etc.) overlap the center/main boxes (...lcome to Montego Scripts, ...ost Recent Forum Posts, ...(tm) V2.3.0 Released, etc.)

All is well as long as I don't choose the RavenIce theme.

Hi CodyG did you ever get this sorted out, as I have a similar problem with RavenIce in IE6 (its ok in IE7 / 8 and Firefox 3) after updating from RN2.20.01 to RN2.30.01.

website is [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I have been using netrenderer website to try and find the problem as only have use of IE6 at work, not home.

John

CodyG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote

Well... I fixed the block issue by adding </div> tags where they were missing in the block script. I haven't been able to fix my flash games module, yet.

Doulos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote

gotcha, Man, where were you when I was pulling my hair out over the same issue with block-site_navigation? Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.3 RN Issues

View next topic
View previous topic