Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
janeuk
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote

Hi,
I used webdings font to have arrows on my header links , they are fine on every page until I go into the Forums, all of the arrow on every link then display as the number 4 which it is on the keyboard. I don't have a clue where to look to sort this problem, so please does anyone know how I can make the webding display correctly in the Forums?

Thanks for any help Smile
Jane

Susann

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:15 am Reply with quote

You really should not use webdings you ´ll get a validation problem beneed this not every browser display such exotic fonts and signs correctly. What signs later are displayed in search engines is an other thing.
Better use named enities somethin like » . Just search for entities ISO 8859-1 you ´ll find a lot of example sites.

janeuk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I'll look at that, I did read somewhere a couple of days ago that webdings shouldnt be used in website design but I didn't really see a problem until I tried the forums on my site because I have been checking my site for compliancy often whilst modifying it and strangely the w3c validator does actually pass the pages with the webdings as being compliant.

Susann

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:48 am Reply with quote

Try [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] also. That won't hurt.

warren-the-ape
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote

I strongly agree with Susann.

Also be aware that every computer is different, uses different browsers, different settings, has different fonts installed and reacts different in certain situations. On your computer it may look allright but on others it might look like 1 giant mess (Mac f.e.), and I guess you want to make your site accessible for as much people as possible? Wink

janeuk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! And yes, I want to make it as accessible as it can be Smile

janeuk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote

Just thought I'd mention, there seems to be a conflict in validators! I just used the validator at validome and it picked up 6 errors, yet the W3C validator, validates my site ok.

Please could anyone tell me what exactly I am meant to do about this response I had (shown below) about adding a declaration at beginning of the document, where exactly would I put this declaration and is this the actual line I need to add. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

The errors I might be able to work through, but I don't know about this at all.

Thanks

RESPONSE
No encoding declaration found within this XHTML document.
However the validator found a Meta element containing some information concerning encoding (iso-8859-1).
This kind of encoding declaration will be not processed within XHTML documents, it is useful for downward compatibility to HTML.
Please add either a XML declaration containing a encoding information at the very beginning of your document (z. B. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>, or prompt your server to send an appropriate HTTP-Header (example for PHP users: header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1').
As no valid encoding declaration found, your document was processed via fallback to UTF-8.

warren-the-ape

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote

When you use the XHTML transitional dtd, notice the <html> start tag;
And you could leave out the xml:lang="en" lang="en" if you want

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">

As for the charset, you can just include that within a Meta-tag, like;

Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

janeuk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for your help here, but I am still a bit confused, the technology is beyond my experience Smile What file(s) would I include the Meta-tag and the !DocType HTML Public code in exactly?

warren-the-ape

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote

Well if you use *Nuke it should already be there, at least in other variants.

The Meta information (including charset) should be located in includes/meta.php
and the doctype and html opening tag in /header.php (if my memory is not failing me Razz )

Edit: I re-read your OP and you probably need to check your forum theme file. Most (php-nuke) themes include a new <head> section for the forum (phpbb/bbnuke) pages. What you then get is double titles and possibly other charsets and doctypes as well, which probably causes your characters to change.

Those things are probably located in your themes/themename/forums/overall_header.tpl (correct me if im wrong)

I removed that entire forum head section as it is already located in the *Nuke header for the theme i use.

janeuk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote

Yes, I noticed yesterday that the forum doubles everything, but that was after I put the forum css into the anagram theme css, and removed the css from the overall header though, but I just deleted some of the doubled css and my display is ok now.....but not sure about the webdings, because I decided to change them to bullets instead prior to that amazing discovery Smile Thanks for your help!

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote

Just a quick "plug" that the upcoming release of RavenNuke's BBtoNuke and the fisubice theme was made, by Gremmie, to be 100% XHTML 1.0 Transitional compliant (i.e., no double headers and many other "tweaks"). It should serve as a good example for others to tweak their themes by.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic