Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.10.01 - All Issues
safierdrgn
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote

This isn't dire but I'm curious as to why it happened.

I wanted to get rid of the modules that I don't use on my website so I started removing the folders from the Modules folder. I created backups as I did this.

Now on my Weblinks Admin area the words are in all caps like

_THEREARE 1250 Links in our Database
_ADDMAINCATEGORY
_ADDSUBCATEGORY
_MODCATEGORY

And under "Transfer all links from category" the button you click says "_EZTRANSFER"

Does Weblinks rely on any other module to function? I only see things appear this way under the Admin area which is why I'm not in too much of a rush to fix it.

Also when I try to add these modules back they don't appear in the Admin area but I can access them if I type out the address.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote

As to the first part, what you are seeing is missing defines that are usually in language files. The format would be:

Code:
define('_ADDMAINCATEGORY','Add a MAIN Category');

but this is in the downloads/admin/language files. I can see that the same line is commented out of the web_links/admin language files, probably because it resulted in an error message for a duplicate define. But obviously you've found a situation where one module kind of depends on another. You could add just the lines you need to the language files in web_links and that should make the errors go away.

As to adding the modules back, you actually need to go to the modules administration on the admin panel in order to have them recognized. In previous versions of Nuke it was looking for new modules every time ANY user ran anything. That seemed like a giant waste of time so we "fixed" it so you had to actually go into modules administration to have a new module "picked up".

safierdrgn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Welp..I checked the Modules/Web_Links/Admin/Language/lang-english.php file to see if it was missing anything. Everything is there..but it's still showing up as -

_THEREARE 1250 Links in our Database
_ADDMAINCATEGORY
_ADDSUBCATEGORY
_MODCATEGORY

I also added the Downloads module back to the website but I cannot get it to recognize that it's there. I had been going to the modules administration to try to get the website to pick up the new module. No luck!

fkelly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Are you sure those lines aren't commented out in the web_links language file ... with a // in front of them? I think we did that for RN 2.10. If so, you could probably just uncomment them (take the // out) and it should work. Sorry if you are an experienced programmer and have already checked that out, just can't take anything for granted.

You shouldn't need to re-add the downloads module just to make this work. If you do, you could look at the modules table in PHPmyadmin and see if it is there. I'm thinking that maybe you deleted the module from the file system but Nuke never picked up on that and deleted it from the corresponding Mysql table. But let's deal with the first issue first (the comments).

safierdrgn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

Are you sure those lines aren't commented out in the web_links language file ... with a // in front of them?

Why yes..yes they were! I got rid of the // and now everything is back to normal. Thank you very much! I'm not an experienced programmer at all..what I've learned has been from mistakes and taking things apart.

As far as the downloads module goes..I'm not really interested in adding it back. I was more doing that just in case the Weblinks module required it to function properly.

I will have to try adding an "addon" module to see if it'll pick up totally new modules. Might just be the fact that I had just deleted the folders from the Modules folder.

fkelly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote

You are welcome. Dependencies between modules is a pretty big issue as we think about the future of Ravennuke. You just pointed out one subtle complication to removing modules, thanks.

It will pick up totally new modules but there are rules that have to be followed. I wouldn't mess with it just out of curiousity unless you have a nice little test system you can use. If so, go for it. You can look at modules.php to see what it does in terms of reading the directories to see if there are new modules (or to see if there are any that need to be deleted). It does get a little "thick" though.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.10.01 - All Issues

View next topic
View previous topic