Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Apache
bugsTHoR
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote

i have problems setting up

apache to run my forum on my own machine for local testing. i`ve tried using

xampp and put everything into the htdocs folder also creating the database but still the site will not show, i made the edits in sentinel .its not as easy as it looks.( as a side note i got the mysql book raven sudgested, well version 3 since that one has 80/90% of what i need).

any ideas guys

Clanthemes.com are great (free advertisements for now until i get to 20,000 posts LoL) 
montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote

Go with the standard XAMPP installation. What I have done to mimic my site as much as is possible (outside of running it on a Linux platform!), I did this:

=== CREATE ===

I created on my "E" drive a directory called "http". The directory name and placement really is only important for this example's purposes. Use whatever you like and adjust accordingly.

=== OPEN ===

xampp/apache/conf/httpd.conf

Since I don't know where you have installed XAMPP, you have to find this on your own. lol.

=== ADD ===

Down at the very bottom of the file, I have added these two (actually I have many sites defined like this) sections:

Code:

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
    DocumentRoot e:/http
    ServerName localhost
    ErrorLog e:/@logs/localhost/error.log
    CustomLog e:/@logs/localhost/access.log common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
    DocumentRoot e:/http/montegoscripts/html
    ServerName montegoscripts
    ErrorLog e:/@logs/montegoscripts/error.log
    CustomLog e:/@logs/montegoscripts/access.log common
</VirtualHost>

Yes, I have obscured my email address (its not important for this local install anyways) and you can place the log files anywhere with a valid path. I keep a separate log file for every local site to help me debug better.

Also, take special note of where I have placed the nuke installation. I have placed it under the html directory, this allows me to mimic the usual "public_html" type structure on many LAMP installations.

=== OPEN ===

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Depending on your windows installation, this could be slightly different, but will always be in this system32 directory I believe.

=== ADD ===

Take special note of the "ServerName" that I used above in httpd.conf, it was "montegoscripts" for this example. So, at the bottom of this hosts file, add this:

Code:

127.0.0.1       montegoscripts

=== RESTART APACHE ===

You should now be able to access the site locally with the following URL:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Yes, that is correct! "montegoscripts", via the hosts file, get "resolved" to your local PC IP address (really, the IP address for localhost). Next, Apache gets it and looks up its server requested for "montegoscripts" and routes the traffic accordingly.

What is nice about this is that I can clearly separate my sites AND I can access them at their own "root level" and with preferences I can use "http://montegoscripts" and in the forums configuration "montegoscripts" and the only difference between my local sites and production sites is the ".com" on the end!

Hope you find this useful, because using XAMPP to test your site changes is just a DREAM! Cuts out ALL production downtime issues related to our own dumb mistakes (lol). Believe me, I've made tons of them (see my signature line).

bugsTHoR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote

thx for that montego, ill let you know how it goes Wink

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote

What exactly is the problem you are having? I didn't do anything elaborate. I just installed XAMPP, copied the files to a sub-dir under htdocs, created the databases, imported the database data, edited the config.php, etc. files and it all worked.

bugsTHoR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote

i know gremmie me too , but for some strange reason it did`nt want to play ball with me,

then again my mind was kinda frazzled after doing it the long winded way with installing apache/mysql/perl/zend optimizer and all those edits. information is good but some days its just to much information for my brain to take. lol

bugsTHoR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote

oh i got it working thx montego,
now i can complete my mission of causing complete and utter CAOS on my system without worry or mercy lol

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote

Awesome....every admin should have XAMPP. It's a great tool.

bugsTHoR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote

bumped for me

montego

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:17 pm Reply with quote

bugsTHoR, I don't understand the bump. Your last post seemed to indicate all was well with your "world". Confused

bugsTHoR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote

i wrote =
Quote:
now i can complete my mission of causing complete and utter CAOS on my system without worry or mercy lol

well i completed my mission alright just a little too well ROTFL

montego

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:59 am Reply with quote

Laughing

fresh
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote

ok one more question about XAMPP. After i installed XAmpp i get a error when i try to go to mysql admin it says access violation at adress 10002593 in module libmysql.dll read of adress 00000000 n then mysql admin pannel get shut down. But ma localhost site work fine. I am not worried about much coz everything else workin fine.

Oh and also how do i log in to localhost via FTP? my filezila dont work either it says filezilla should run as a service but i have ws ftp so i am tryina log in with that but it ask me for a password i dont think i have a password for that i am tryina log in as anonymous.

fresh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote

ok i logged in to my local host:D

fresh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote

ok now im in localhost but can't see my RN site. Is it maybe coz i just copy and pasted it on htdocs without using a ftp client???
in localhost it only shows me incoming folder and onefile.html ?? i try to go to my xampp/htdocs via ftp but i cant.

any help please? don't tell me i have to reupload the site using ftp

Gremmie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote

Well, if the machine is local, you don't need to ftp anything. Just copy your files to XAMPP's htdocs directory (or a subfolder) using windows explorer.

fresh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote

thats what i did but when i use the ftp i can't go to that directory plus i am tryina test the gallery 2 so how do i upload those files with the structure?? without ftp?

fresh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote

ok never mind i am dumb sorry i thought when i copy and paste like that it will replace everythin with gallery 2 folders and delete the original rn folders

fresh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote

I quite installin gallery lol hell no it is a pain i thought it was like installin a shoutbox lol

bugsTHoR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote

put it in its own folder in the httddocs folder
name the folder gallery
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] or what ever the index is called.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Apache

View next topic
View previous topic