Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Themes
Poll
Add right side blocks to forum view?
Yes.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No.
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
The whole collapsing blocks idea is a waste of time.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

fade2gray
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote

I've been hacking the fisubice theme (rnv2.10.01 default) to incorporate collapsing blocks which is demonstrated here.

I'm thinking of getting right side blocks to show in forums view but would like opinion first.

Thanks.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:38 am Reply with quote

I voted "No" because usually people are asking how to get more space in the forums rather than the reduce the size, so adding right-blocks would go counter to that. So often, at least in technical forums, links or graphics are posted for which wrapping does not occur and so things get pushed out to the right. This is just one example of why folks have asked to have the capability to remove the left blocks within the forums even.

BTW, great job on the theme! It is looking and working great. Maybe we could include it in a future RN release if you would like to share it.

However, you need to move your top most SCRIPT tag into between your HEAD tags. I would actually place it right after your last META tag. You have broken compliance this way. It should still work within its proper placement.

montego

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote

BTW, just notice too that the expand all / collapse all blocks feature does not appear to be working properly. I seem to have to click the icon twice to get it to work.

fade2gray

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote

montego wrote:
I voted "No" because usually people are asking how to get more space in the forums rather than the reduce the size, so adding right-blocks would go counter to that. So often, at least in technical forums, links or graphics are posted for which wrapping does not occur and so things get pushed out to the right. This is just one example of why folks have asked to have the capability to remove the left blocks within the forums even.
My reasoning was to give users the choice to have left and right blocks showing or not in any page view - i.e. personally, when replying to a forum post, I do a lot of cutting and pasting and would find it convenient to have a blank side block for use as kind of clipboard, and I'd prefer it to be on the right (a psychological thing I suppose - being right handed), but it would involve a lot more than I have managed to achieve at this point.

montego wrote:
BTW, great job on the theme! It is looking and working great. Maybe we could include it in a future RN release if you would like to share it.

However, you need to move your top most SCRIPT tag into between your HEAD tags. I would actually place it right after your last META tag. You have broken compliance this way. It should still work within its proper placement.
Thanks for the ego boost - I needed it. Very Happy Thing is - I'm not a coder and this old dog can't learn new tricks (short term memory getting worse blah-de-blah), but have the ability to follow logic and hack'n'slash from examples - I'll try and figure out how to comply with your last statement - I will now go and RTFM

Idea If there is a theme developer in the rn crew who'd would like to pick this up - just pm me (probably get things done a lot faster than I could).

Last edited by fade2gray on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:16 am; edited 3 times in total 
fade2gray

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:11 am Reply with quote

montego wrote:
BTW, just notice too that the expand all / collapse all blocks feature does not appear to be working properly. I seem to have to click the icon twice to get it to work.
Hmm.. did you read the article on the site entitled "FISUBICE - Incorporating Collapsing Blocks" and click on the 'read more'?

I have just noticed that the article options right side block is not reacting to collapse/expand all - perhaps I missed uploading an edit.

montego

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

If there is a theme developer in the rn crew who'd would like to pick this up - just pm me (probably get things done a lot faster than I could).

That most certainly would not be me. I have avoided maintaining them like the plague. ROTFL

Quote:

Hmm.. did you read the article on the site entitled "FISUBICE - Incorporating Collapsing Blocks" and click on the 'read more'?

Nope. Wink I was only looking at block behavior and not reading the content (sorry, just a very focused individual - sometimes TOO focused...lol).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Themes

View next topic
View previous topic