Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN Conversion Issues From v2.02
jimmo
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote

Hi All!

Since I upgraded to RN 2.10 a number of people have had trouble registering. They say that they input the correct code, but the system says it is incorrect. Obviously I cannot tell if they input it correctly, but it rarely happened before and all it took was to simply try again. In this case, the users try repeatedly and still they are told the code is incorrect.

I was wondering if someone else has had a similar a problem and, if so, what they have done to correct it. I was thinking about a link allowing the user to choose the old style CAPTCHA, audio, etc, but I would appreciate any feedback from others before I take the plunge.

Best regards,

jimmo

technocrat
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote

This has been discussed a lot.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] his first post tells you pretty much what to do

jimmo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote

The only thing that concerns me is that I can log in as an admin and some users can register without a problem. Why would adding that code effect some users and not others?

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:02 am Reply with quote

Sorry to jump in here (and kick me out technocrat if I take this in the wrong direction).

The usual "suspects" when it is user specific is browser or PC firewall settings. For example, if they have cookies disabled within their browser AND depending upon how the server is set up to handle sessions when cookies are not enabled, this could happen. I have also seen some firewall or "anonymizer" type programs block the cookies from being transferred.

jimmo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote

montego, you're always welcome to jump in!

The other post says to add "session_save_path(dirname(__FILE__));" at the top of mainfile.php, so I was curious as to how this would correct a user specific problem. So what is this actually doing. I read the doc for this function, as well as "Session Handling Functions" on php.net, but I didn't quite get what this is really doing other than it is where the session information is stored. If this is in mainfile.php, then wouldn't that be in the root directory of the RN installation? Does that mean there will be one file for each session/user?

technocrat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote

Have you added the line yet?

This points the session files to be made on the root of the site. What this shows is the host has the session folder, generally /tmp/, permissions incorrectly setup. Thus the files cannot be made and the sessions fail.

Since you seem to state that others are fine then it could be as Montego suggests or it could be that maybe your sessions are restricted in some way.

jimmo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:30 am Reply with quote

Thanks. So far, so good with the sessions. I added the line and see that the sess_ files are being written to my DocumentRoot (i.e the same directory as mainfile.php). I would prefer not to fill that directory up with files. Is there a problem with same the sessions files somewhere else with something like this "session_save_path(dirname(__FILE__)."/tmp");" ?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN Conversion Issues From v2.02

View next topic
View previous topic