Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN Bug Reports - Other Issues
emmaphp
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quote

Im using Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro.

I know for a fact that when this was first installed some months ago, the 'User Info Block' worked perfectly.

However I have just noticed that it now permanently displayes as Zero ('0'), the number of visitors and members online, even when there are users browsing my site.

I have not (knowingly) made any changes to anything that would affect this.

Can anyone help with this please?

Susann

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote

Run optimize and repair in your database maybe that helps.
Also 2.02.02 isn´t the newest version I would upgrade.

emmaphp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote

Thanks Susan, but I am not sure how to 'Run optimize and repair' in my database.

I am also interested to know why this function would have stopped working if I have made no changes to my database?

Susann

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote

For example using phpMyAdmin:Check all tables of your database use the drop down box at the bottom and choose repair there is also the function optimize and some others too. You can optimize it from your administration too.

If that doesn´t help set in your config.php display_errors = TRUE;
and check for errors.

Well, sometimes it happens without any changes. My nuke_sessions table got suddenly corrupt in version 6.5 with the result that nobody could log in anymore.
Btw:I often optimize my db tables.

emmaphp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote

Susan, when you advise to Optimize tables, are you refering to the Optimize facility on PHP-Nuke, (which is accessible from the Admin section), or is this something different and on the PHPMyAdmin control panel?

Last edited by emmaphp on Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total 
Susann

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote

The optimize function is in your nuke administration.
But for other functions you need to use PHPMyAdmin.
NukeSentinel has also such a feature but only for NS tables.

Last edited by Susann on Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total 
emmaphp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote

I did just try setting my website config.php file to 'display_errors = TRUE', however nothing was displayed at the top of my website home page (and that is usually where such errors are displayed). Was I looking in the right place?

Susann

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote

Are you logged in as admin ? However, would there be a real blocks problem you would also get such a message:There is a problem right now with this block.
Did you already run optimize and repaire the table ?
I would also clear cookie, cache and upload the same block again of course I would also check an other User Info block if there is exactly the same issue.

emmaphp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Hi Susan...I am logged in as admin.

The code in the block has never been changed since it was working an there is no errors showing that there is a problem with the block or something like that.

I also notice that the standard 'Who is Online' block is also not showing when anyone is on the website, so this suggests to me that there must be an error somewhere other than in any blocks.

I do not understand why this would just stop working wen I have not made any changes to my database.

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote

Things can change behind your back....files can get corrupt, etc.

Use phpMyAdmin to check and possibly repair your tables. Check the sessions table for sure.

I would also check your error logs. Ask your host where they are if you don't know what I am talking about.

emmaphp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote

Gremmie wrote:
Use phpMyAdmin to check and possibly repair your tables. Check the sessions table for sure.

Gremmie thanks for your input here, but how do i do what you are suggesting. I mean where should I look and begin in MyPHPAdmin and what do I do to check things and the session tables. I dont even know what I am looking for and what it should be like, if indeed something has been changed etc.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Well that kind of thing varies on what tools your host has given you (it is very host dependent). You can ask your host if you have access to phpMyAdmin, and ask how to get at your error logs too.

If you can get into phpMyAdmin you will typically navigate to your Nuke database, then find your *_sessions table. You can then run a repair or optimize.

If you are totally lost you may want to post in the for hire forum and maybe someone can assist.

Good luck!!!

emmaphp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote

Gremmie, see all I ever need is a little guidance and as an intuitive person i usually am able to deal with matters such as this.

Thank you so much for your advise. Small though it may seem to you, I think it has helped me tremendously.

I have indeed navigated to the sessions table in MyPHPAdmin and sure enough it reads the following:

Error
SQL query:

SHOW KEYS FROM `nuke_session` ;

MySQL said:

#1016 - Can't open file: 'nuke_session.MYI' (errno: 145)

So moving on, because I have saved all the back up copeis of my database that I have ever made, (going back 12 months, since this website was originally installed), I decided to do the following:

1. I backup up todays database, (the faulty one).

2. I then updated the website with the 1st ever back up I had made and then checked the functionality of the 'User Info Block' I am having problems with and it began to work again, (with there no longer being any error message displayed in PHPMyAdmin).

3. I restored the database with the back up version I had made today and the error returned, along with the 'User Info Block' giving problems again.

4. So what I then did, was to reload the back up copy of my database, (which eliminated the error when I used it previously)

5. I copied the SQL code from the 'Sessions Table' in the 'old backup' of the database.

6. I then subsequently reinstalled the back up copy of the database from today, (with the fault).

7. Next I 'Dropped' the 'Sessions Table' in the database I was now currently running, (i.e. from the backup I had made earlier today, (with the fault).

8. Then I took the 'Session Table' code that I had copied from the version of the 'old database' that worked and I ran the SQL code and this all solved my problem!

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote

Congratulation !
Don´t forget to optimize your database tables from time to time. Smile

emmaphp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Sussan, from where and how do I optimise the tables?

The only 'Optimize' function I am aware of is the one in the Nuke Admin section and I already click this from time to time.

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote

emmaphp I m sure I have already talked about how to do this with phpMyAdmin (see above). You can choose this for all tables or each of them. However, from the administration its the same. I just prefer to go directly to the database because its like my second home. Smile
And you can find some tutorials like Nuke HowTo here on Ravens site where some of this is also explained I believe. Just search for this.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Actually I believe the MySQL engine will automatically run the optimize function on tables from time to time behind your back when it thinks it needs it. You would only run it if you manually deleted a bunch of rows in a table that isn't inserted into often.

From the manual:
Quote:

OPTIMIZE TABLE should be used if you have deleted a large part of a table or if you have made many changes to a table with variable-length rows (tables that have VARCHAR, VARBINARY, BLOB, or TEXT columns). Deleted rows are maintained in a linked list and subsequent INSERT operations reuse old row positions. You can use OPTIMIZE TABLE to reclaim the unused space and to defragment the data file.

In most setups, you need not run OPTIMIZE TABLE at all. Even if you do a lot of updates to variable-length rows, it is not likely that you need to do this more than once a week or month and only on certain tables.

The sessions table is a table that gets inserted to a lot, so it will have no problem reclaiming space quickly. At least that is my take on it...

Great job emmaphp!

warren-the-ape
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Little kick of this topic.

After I discovered this forum (and the one from Montego) im trying to fix things like a mad man Cool

I had this problem for 2-3 weeks now. It happened after the server suddenly went down for a couple of minutes and wasnt able to fix it ever since Crying or Very sad

I now finally discoverd how to use phpmyadmin, and repaired the Nuke_session table, it works again like a charm Very Happy

Soo... thnx Susann for pointing out that table :clap:

Susann

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote

You're welcome!

express
Client

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote

I'm absorbing all of this info thru osmosis. Good stuff...thanks. worship

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote

emmaphp wrote:

Error
SQL query:

MySQL said:

Whenever you see this error, the first thing you need to try is to do a Repair Table. Log into phpMyAdmin and select your Database. Then put a check mark beside the nuke_session table (in this case). Then select Repair Table from the selection box at the bottom or the icon at the right. That usually fixes it.

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote

When knowing when to optimize or not, use the option in phpMyAdmin to Check Tables Having Overhead. Those are the tables that need optimizing. Then do a Select All and run Analyze Table on all tables to make MySQL "smarter".

warren-the-ape

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:22 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:

Whenever you see this error, the first thing you need to try is to do a Repair Table.

Yep exactly what I did Very Happy
Dont really understand why emmaphp went to all that trouble, copying and replacing db's.

About optimizing, Susann already mentioned that there is no difference between phpmyadmin and the optimize function in phpnuke, so it wouldnt make a difference right?

I think i run the optimize function, every month or every 2 weeks, it feels a bit like defragmentating Wink

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote

Optimize in both cases is calling the same MySQL function so it makes no difference. It actually is defragmentation Smile. This is right from the Manual.
==============================================
12.5.2.5. OPTIMIZE TABLE Syntax
OPTIMIZE TABLE should be used if you have deleted a large part of a table or if you have made many changes to a table with variable-length rows (tables that have VARCHAR, VARBINARY, BLOB, or TEXT columns).

Deleted rows are maintained in a linked list and subsequent INSERT operations reuse old row positions.

You can use OPTIMIZE TABLE to reclaim the unused space and to defragment the data file.

In most setups, you need not run OPTIMIZE TABLE at all. Even if you do a lot of updates to variable-length rows, it is not likely that you need to do this more than once a week or month and only on certain tables.
==============================================

zbv2net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote

emmaphp wrote:
Gremmie, see all I ever need is a little guidance and as an intuitive person i usually am able to deal with matters such as this.

Thank you so much for your advise. Small though it may seem to you, I think it has helped me tremendously.

I have indeed navigated to the sessions table in MyPHPAdmin and sure enough it reads the following:

Error
SQL query:

MySQL said:

So moving on, because I have saved all the back up copeis of my database that I have ever made, (going back 12 months, since this website was originally installed), I decided to do the following:

1. I backup up todays database, (the faulty one).

2. I then updated the website with the 1st ever back up I had made and then checked the functionality of the 'User Info Block' I am having problems with and it began to work again, (with there no longer being any error message displayed in PHPMyAdmin).

3. I restored the database with the back up version I had made today and the error returned, along with the 'User Info Block' giving problems again.

4. So what I then did, was to reload the back up copy of my database, (which eliminated the error when I used it previously)

5. I copied the SQL code from the 'Sessions Table' in the 'old backup' of the database.

6. I then subsequently reinstalled the back up copy of the database from today, (with the fault).

7. Next I 'Dropped' the 'Sessions Table' in the database I was now currently running, (i.e. from the backup I had made earlier today, (with the fault).

8. Then I took the 'Session Table' code that I had copied from the version of the 'old database' that worked and I ran the SQL code and this all solved my problem!

I have the same problem on my site but i dont see no error in my phpmyadmin

Code:
Table    Op    Msg_type    Msg_text

zbavitu_rvn18september.nuke_session    check    status    OK

Can you asist me how to fix this because i dont have a backup

and it have stoped working as u said after some time after no modification is made

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN Bug Reports - Other Issues

View next topic
View previous topic