Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Other - Discussion
Lateron
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:09 pm Reply with quote

Every time I try to access NukeCops I get this:

Quote:
Our server is getting extreme amounts of user traffic at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] Once a certain serverload is reached, NukeCops.com is temporarily disabled so Computer Cops may continue operating (it is getting over 270,000 page hits daily and was recently on TechTV). If NukeCops were to remain running, the server would shut down completely. I'm working on getting a second server so this won't be an issue. The current server sees 900kb/s outbound and 3600kb/s inbound.

Sometimes it happens in the middle of posting.

I am sick to death of hearing about the increase in membership, the number of hits etc that ComputerCops and NukeCops are getting. What is the point of all that rubbish if they can't service their existing membership?

They were on TechTV? Gee, I am wetting my pants with excitement. They are not victims of their 'success' but of their vanity!

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quote

I'm sure you aren't the only one turned off by the poor treatment of members at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Too much ego and not enough community for me. Beyond that PostNuke is just a superior product but even that has some rediculous base code. But it is moving forward towards OOPs and now with pnRender speed has improved greatly. Can't wait for .08 to be released. Hopefully the third party modules catch up to PHPNuke osc2nuke has really put a dent in the which should I use question for a lot of folks.

But there is hope for PNukers in [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] which promises to be an excellent cart and is being plugged as better then oscommerce (Believe it when I see it). I just did a site with pncommerce and its ok but its young and lacks features that I and many others really need.

But PostNuke is still the only CMS I know of that can make a module disappear because you accidently upload another directory under modules by the same name. Because its reading the directory into the database so even if you delete the directory the db entry still exists. LOL

Or lock out all the new users because a "New User" module changed "status" without showing a warning to the admin this is a bit much too. But small enough bugs I can live with.

PHPNuke can keep its software and its Hero's as far as I am concerned.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:24 pm Reply with quote

OMFG!
After all the chatter about phpnuke today I went there just now and saw ZX's reply to you Lateron! He totally missed the point. NukeCops may not have shown a profit from day one but you can bet from the number of hits vs ads he's running now that it does pull its own weight to some extent.

This guy so wants to be a big fish its just amazing. I did run ad there a couple times as a way of gaining some exposure and supporting the site when it wasn't pulling its own way at all.

He could just as well said tp you, "Don't come back. I don't need you because you won't run your nose up my _____."

Man this guy has gone from Nuke Guru to Nuke Puke in just about a years time. There was a time when I actually thought he was a half decent fella but I can see I was wrong about that. Not that I doubt his frustrations but thats still no reason to treat people like they owe him something because they don't! If anything he owes his members because without them neither of his community based sites would amount to a popcorn fluff.

He has even threatened members with legalease like liable and slander. Well Paul it ain't slander if its true buckwheat.

Lateron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:54 pm Reply with quote

Great! I go to phpnuke.org to reply and I have just spent a minute or two closing browser windows (those type that everytime you close one they multiply and open others) and stopping a Gator-type program from installing.

Well, I got my reply in and I guess I will be added to the IP ban list now.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:48 pm Reply with quote

Oh the true and documented stories I could tell ......

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:59 am Reply with quote

I've another take on this in my latest commentary:

PHPNuke Security Concern
Posted by: Peter on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 12:50 PM
phpnuke
Visitors of NukeCops have been seeing a lot of this lately.

Quote:

Our server is getting extreme amounts of user traffic at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] Once a certain serverload is reached, NukeCops.com is temporarily disabled so Computer Cops may continue operating (it is getting over 270,000 page hits daily and was recently on TechTV). If NukeCops were to remain running, the server would shut down completely. I'm working on getting a second server so this won't be an issue. The current server sees 900kb/s outbound and 3600kb/s inbound. Want to help us thru this and get a second dedicated mysql server? Send a PayPal donation to [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ].

Sounds to me like PHPNuke users will have to seek help and patches elsewhere. Of all the files hosted for PHPNuke the most important security patches are now as hard to access as the site itself. Making this situation a security risk in its own right!

Note: Commentary: PHPNuke Security Concern

Lateron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:10 pm Reply with quote

My impression is that big support sites don't seem to realise that THEY don't provide the support in 99% of the cases, the ordinary members do.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Thats right of course. Its the folks who are there to learn and share who make a large support site a success.

I've been on other forums where its just as bad. If you aren't looking through the same window as the dev team then your view is just plain wrong.

Like PostNuke they are working towards a better system all the time but... if you don't like a commited feature or suggest a change that goes away from the commited version... you'd best just go shopping someplace else. Meanwhile version after version comes out with the same resource eating monster bugs as the next but dang it we put more features in it!

Of course these folks put so much of themselves and their time into these projects its bound to get personal even if its not meant that way. Wish I had time to learn Typo3 right now its looking awesome. But its a horse of a different color completely. But I think the results people are getting who have learned to use it are fantastic.

But there is no excuse for a site like nukecops to be holding out the "Donation Can" when there are better methods to generate income. It was suggested by several people to develope in house modules and services for subscribed members. All that ever came of the discussion was a premium membership that gave the "Sucker" er I mean "Supporter" a badge in the forums and what access to a chat maybe?

Clearly that path was doomed from the start. Even Fb provides more then that via the "Club". What I'm waiting for next is for them to announce they're cutting services because not enough folks responded to the call for help. Its like watching a kid playing with a gun and your to far away to stop them from shooting themselves.

afc
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:46 pm Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
Oh the true and documented stories I could tell ......

How true iv had 2 deleted from [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

one was when he got new site up and running with new theme;

I said people should stop kissing FB ass and asked why he did not apply chatserv patches to release

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:11 pm Reply with quote

Well cussing at em isn't gonna get ya much more but behind all that there was and is valid concerns out there. I guess I've said plenty on the topic and am just going to leave it rest. But its at the point where one has to not only consider alternatives but push others to consider them as well.

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:56 am Reply with quote

Paul has alienated (and continues to do so) some very good and experienced people due to his 'style'. While he can be very helpful, he has an ego the size of Manhattan that must be fed. Unless you agree with him he sees that as betrayal. He is paranoid about losing users which is so ludicrous it doesn't even bear discussion. Disagree with him in public and you will see comments like 'What have you done lately for the community' rather than address the real issues. Disagree with him in private and you get accused of all manner of ludicrous things. Back him up to the wall with facts and you end up with "I don't have time for this". He is a control freak. Refuse to back down and the thread will be locked and/or 'moved'. He manipulates, or tries to, his staff and anyone who tries to help. Most of the original core team wouldn't tolerate that and we left. To each his own.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Other - Discussion

View next topic
View previous topic