Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RWH Other
spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote

In laying out our site I tried to be kind to RWH resources, and of course our bandwidth limit. Had a couple questions..

A media player embeded via IFRAME, with the IFRAME source page hosted on another host, does this count against my RWH bandwidth?

Images drawn from other sites, such as a member with an image forum sig hosted somewhere else... does this count against my RWH bandwidth?

Thanks Smile

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote

no , the address where whatever is stored pays for the bandwidth.
so using media or images that are stored on another address will not be counted via your raven hosting account.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote

cool thats what i thought it would do, but had to make sure Smile

hitwalker

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote

but with the usage of spanel you can keep an eye on things very easy,especially the bandwith..
even upto directories and pages.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote

Just for clarification, bandwidth usage is calculated on all data transfered from and to your site. In other words anything your account has to do to handle traffic/requests is counted as your bandwidth.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote

huh...
thats confusing raven... Wink
the sample spasticdonkey gave is like.....if he publishes a page with an iframe that shows whatever....

it can be done the same with the current youtube blocks or whatever...
we play them but we dont host the movie...
thats why youtube costs 1.000.000 a month... Laughing

Raven

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote

Sorry if it's confusing but it's true. Any traffic between your site and anyone else's site is accountable bandwidth. In the case of an IFRAME you are just linking to some else's site for the content so that is not accountable to you.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote

Good to hear about Iframe....

I have a header that is heavily diced and contains 30+ images.. I draw these from another host, am I achieving anything by doing this? At least reducing server load and requests (and improving performance) to my RWH account?

hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a header that is heavily diced and contains 30+ images.. I draw these from another host, am I achieving anything by doing this? At least reducing server load and requests (and improving performance) to my RWH account?

no....

Raven

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:21 am Reply with quote

Hitwalker is correct. In all probability you actually are slowing down your site. If you had the images stored locally, that is [almost always] faster. By pulling the images from another site/host you do not incur the bandwidth hit. Obviously if you store the images on your host you will take the bandwidth hit.

Raven note: I modified my previous reply because I did not state it clearly. It was early and I was still typing with my eyes closed Wink

Last edited by Raven on Tue May 15, 2007 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total 
montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:40 am Reply with quote

I guess I am not understanding this then. The browser is pulling the images from two separate sites, the HTML source from RWH and the images from some other host. So, from a bandwidth perspective, wouldn't they be coming from two different hosts?

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:48 am Reply with quote

It would be two different hosts. The HTML file would count from the bandwidth on RWH, the images on the external host would not. It would save your RWH bandwidth, but it could make loading slower because the browser has to initiate a seperate file request for those images.

Some sites do use dedicated image servers, just because of the bandwidth issues.

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:10 am Reply with quote

but were talking about a few images of a few hundred bytes.
pulling that from another address to "save" something is useless..
when the storage address isnt available,to busy,times out or whatever reason why it cant serv the images it slows your site performance..

evaders99

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote

I personally agree, the scale of the images is too small to really consider such bandwidth issues (unless you're hosting high quality photo images). I would say its something else takes your bandwidth.. media files, downloads, etc.

jlajax
Ardent RavenCMS Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote

The question reading this forum brings to mind is on RSS News feeds. My sites are interlinked heavily via RSS news feeds. I am using bandwisth in doing this?

Each time the index.php loads in any site all the news feeds displayed on that page are pulled as well. So if I understand what I have read here I am creating bandwith usage by swapping one client news feeds to another clients homepages and visa versa?

RavensScripts

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote

If you use local paths then no bandwidth is charged. If you use fully qualified paths then bandwidth is charged.

jlajax

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote

Hmm I will have to play with this one as I have an idea of what you mean. Let me put it to the test tomorrow. I am brain dead right now been reading the forums for several hours now.

RavensScripts

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote

you could also try feedburner
their bandwidth is free and the service has been pretty reliable.
some cool additional features like headline animators, widgets, etc... [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

montego

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote

... and RN 2.3+ nukeFEED integrates right into it...

jlajax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Greetings everyone.

I got the downloads and other internal linkns to function using short links with no problems. I am trying to get the news feeds to pull from one ravenwebhosting hosted website to another one using short links as well. Been playing with it a few minues and thought I would ask to make sure that it can be done. I can pull the news feeds from one site hosted at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] to another site on the same server?
Quote:

../../../~userid/html/feeds-1-rss20.xml doesn't work
../../public_html/~userid/html/feeds-1-rss20.xml doesn't work
../../www/~userid/html/feeds-1-rss20.xml doesn't work

nor has any of the variations I have thought to try. Suggestions?

RavensScripts

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote

You would have to use a fully qualified url for that, even though it's on the same server.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RWH Other

View next topic
View previous topic