Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> CSS
Susann

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote

I never used such tools before for nuke sites but since I´m working more with CSS I thought I could try to optimize my fisubice style.css file. Smile
Result I reduced around 10 % of my current file.
But is it really worth ? Don´t know exactly. Are there issues known in Nuke with:
font-weight:700; or 400 and colors like:color:#000;

gregexp
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote

I would personally say that I cant think of one issue where those would cause a problem.

I believe the whole idea to validate css and other things is simply to stop errors that are reported from a site, It makes the site look far more professional and certain errors can stop people from viewing a site. One example would be people at workplaces whos firewall is so tight, that a simple Javascript misplacement of the ; can cause the site to not load.

As for functionality, I dont feel you lose any at all.

Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote

I think that there will be a number of things we can do to optimize the styles and the way they load for the next release, assuming that is one of the things we prioritize. 64bit and Gremmie had a very enlightening discussion in a lengthy thread a little while back. We could make some short term incremental improvements, squeezing spaces out and the like but you would be talking nanoseconds. The real gain will be in rationalizing the whole style loading process and that's going to take some careful thought and a lot of experimenting and testing.

Susann

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Fkelly I know what you mean but thats an other think. Fact is the style.css in nuke was always the same. In my 6.5 I have the same like in higher nuke versions.
To use an optimizer for this file can help and make it clearly arranged particularly with regard to your own added stuff but because there are different tools available you can get really bad result if you use the wrong otimizer.
However, my style.css is W3C valid like my complete RavenNuke site. Before and after I use an optimizer I always validate my files. I´ve lost a function: myown.hoover using Firefox but I think I can fix that because its still working using IE.

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote

What does an optimizer do? I can't imagine shrinking the file by 10% is going to help in the presence of caching by the browser.

Susann

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote

I´m sure you know the messages from the speed test:

Quote:
Caution. The total size of your external CSS is 4122 bytes, which is above 4080 bytes and less than 8K. For external files, try to keep them less than 1160 bytes to fit within one higher-speed TCP-IP packet (or an approximate multiple thereof). Consider optimizing your CSS and eliminating features to reduce this to a more reasonable size.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote

Susann, very interesting. I learn something new every day. :clap:

Susann

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote

Montego this link is only for you:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] Wink

montego

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:34 am Reply with quote

Quote:

this link is only for you

yeah, right... Laughing Now everyone knows.

Very nice indeed. I have definitely bookmarked this one...

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote

You can't control how big the TCP/IP packets are going to be from server to client as your packets go from hop to hop...and if you factor in retransmissions, packet loss, duplicate packets, and all the usual trouble that goes on then this is just silly, IMHO. The bigger thing to worry about is HTML pages as they are often larger than CSS files. No one seriously tries to size their pages (to fit into a certain sized packet). And again, external CSS files are often cached by the browser so they aren't asked for on every page load.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> CSS

View next topic
View previous topic