Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN Not Bugs
Misha
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Finally we got 2.10 Very Happy I've been eagerly waiting for the release for quite some time, and I believe a lot of folks around were like that Wink Thanks a lot to everybody involved for this great product!

I installed latest XAMPP and tried to emulate my server upgrade on it. I backed up my site database using nuke database backup, and imported it to XAMPP using phpmyadmin. As soon as I was able to figure out what exactly files to run to perform an upgrade, everything went pretty smooth.

I got a few problems after starting the site, however, and one of them is "?" in my texts all over the site instead of some punctuation characters like "-", "'", &nbpsp;... I used latin1_swedish_ci collation to create the new database. Not sure if this is conversion problem, or MySQL backward compatibility problem, or my plain stupidity. Even not sure I will have this problem on the live server - but I want to make sure I don't, before I proceed with real upgrade.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks, Misha.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote

It might be safer to test a backup copy on the live server if you have the ability to have multiple databases.

Misha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, Kevin, I'll think about this option. Smile

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote

It definitely sounds like a UTF-8 issue. Let us know if you still experience it on your server.

Misha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote

Looks like it was my mistake - as usual Smile It was utf8 chosen at the time of importing instead of latin1, I was able to recreate the problem and to get rid of it both on XAMPP and on my host, so I'm sure this is solved. Move this to "stupid questions" forum LOL.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote

Misha, definitely will not move. I cannot tell you how many times that I have fought even differences in how phpMyAdmin makes a dump vs. what I end up importing locally. Many times I find myself removing from the phpMyAdmin dump all the "collate" statements and then I can tell phpMyAdmin what collation to use on the import and it won't be overriden.

godfather

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote

When doing a mysql dump, export etc its always best to set it to ignore foreign keys..

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN Not Bugs

View next topic
View previous topic