Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's Collapsing Forums Block
Taz
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote

worship

Honestly guys - I don't understand the backend xml feeds at all. I read some of the posts but I just don't get what it is supposed to do. I kind of have an idea but there is something missing. I imagine that there is some kind of software, from what I am reading called and rss reader. I would have to put something into this reader and then when posts where made to my forums, this reader would get a headline like post of the message?

Is there a document or anything that would explain this feature of the collapsing forums module? If there is anything explaining anything about 'backend' xml feeds that would be appreciated.

By clicking on the XML link in a browser I see some html. It looks valid, and I see some forum posts in the html from my site. I used the script that Raven posted in another post for the backendforums.php file. I am totally ignorant about this subject and feel kinda stupid asking the question, but I really want to understand this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote

Because the backend.php in Nuke is still RSS 0.91 maybe read about the history of rss:

I used a long time RSS 2.0 for my forum and with this version you have some more options. If you are interested read about the different sizes and versions:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

My news reader is Sage for Firefox. It´s very simple to install and I´m able to read within a short time a lot of headlines. Really good for news junkies.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote

Susann's info is wonderful, of course, but to directly address your questions:
- backend.php allows you to syndicate your news through an RSS0.91 standard feed - other websites or RSS readers can process the file to display headlines with links (e.g. try setting up an RSS block with [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] as the content. It will display news headlines from this site in block on your site.
- the collapsing forums module supports an RSS0.91 feed of your forums posts. This works the same as backend.php, but uses (syndicates) forum posts instead of news stories.

Syndicating your content to other sites is a great way to increase your search engine rankings and pagerank (assuming you have content that others wish to syndicate!).

Taz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:43 am Reply with quote

Hey thanks for all the info, I'm going to read it shortly!

Taz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:11 am Reply with quote

btw - I installed the Sage, pretty neat. I also tried adding my forums backend, so I added an entry in Sage pointed to where I thought I should point [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] . . . I see topics in my forums but not much more. When I try to click on the links they are all invalid. I'm not sure weather there is something wrong in the backendforums.php file or where the problem may be. The links show up like [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] I'm not sure what they should say.

Susann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:29 am Reply with quote

When I click from sage on one of the 4 links to your forum they are all valid.

Taz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:42 am Reply with quote

hmm. . . When you hover over the link in Sage for any of the topics, what is the url that is shown in the bottom left hand corner for any of the listed topics? When I click any link in my sage view it says

Not Found
The requested URL /postp13 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.37 Server at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] Port 80

Susann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:54 am Reply with quote

1. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
2. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
3. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I can´t find an error. But you can try another RSS reader too.

Check another site an see if you get also errors in Sage.

Taz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote

Well I also added Raven's backend and it works fine, but it shows up a little differntly than the links you have posted. I can't understand why my links show up the way they do. If I use a web browser to just pull up the link, [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] even there I see links like the following

<link>http://www.techheadz.org/postp13#13</link>

Does anyone know why I see it this way?

Hey Susann, thank you so much for your help btw!

Susann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote

Taz

I have tried to use your backenforums.php in one of my Nuke testsites and there your account where you also can use different headlines but your backendforums links gave me indeed a 404 only in Sage it works well.
And with Ravens backendsforums.php I got "You are using an invalid IP also my RSS reader can´t find his backendforums.php.
Sometimes strange. Rolling Eyes
I don´t use this format for my forum anymore therefore I can´t help. But I´m sure you will find the answer somewhere here in the forum if you use the search function.

Taz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote

Wierd. When I used Raven's I just set the address to his backend.php file i.e. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] like you said I don't think he has a backendforums.php file. I just downloaded i.e. 7 and it is supposed to have an rss reader, I'll play with that.

I think I have caught some kind of virus or hack in my i.e. it's preventing me from loading a lot of the microsoft partner web sites. I'll get strange DNS errors, while I can run firefox side by side and access all the same sites. So I'm wondering if my laptop needs cleaning . . . Anyone else care to chime in? Thanks Susann

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's Collapsing Forums Block

View next topic
View previous topic