Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> CNB Your Account
Nomad
Client

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote

If you need someone to try and break it, I'll volunteer to test!

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:27 am Reply with quote

Thanks - but that isn't the issue. There are already many things that people found broken...we need to fix them... Still, if we are able to do that, it would be good to have more testing before releasing it.

mtwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote

Latest News?

CNBYA 5.0.0 alpha 1 released to our testteam! 2005-06-05

It has been over a year since the alpha release....

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote

Right...hence the frustration.

mtwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote

So what do we have to do to get a new version of the Your Account module? I am sure people would pay a subscription fee to access the download of this module. Can we start a new version and/or do something to make it worth time spent?

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote

I thought it was available from their sourceforge page (theres a link in this thread somewhere).

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote

I think he means the 5.0 beta version. That's only available to beta testers.

But if we "finish" it, it would be open source and available to all.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote

Ah, ok.
Guess I better bump this up my 'to do' list.

mtwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote

So where should I post to help move things along?
---
An idea for the your account module.....

For administrators, when logged in, they can set an auto login to a regular account.

This would allow an administrator one login location for both sides of nuke. It would be nice if there was the option to set or change the auto login information, so if you wanted to use a user name other than the one that is the same as admin name, you could.

kenwood
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote

I think that menelaos61 dit not survive his marriage night . ROTFL

crazzyt9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote

kenwood wrote:
I think that menelaos61 dit not survive his marriage night . ROTFL

lol that is a possibility! ROTFL Razz

Crazzyt9 Twisted Evil

Captain_Computer
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote

Vaporware
Quote:
There is a similarity between vaporware and a species of hoax: both involve promoting a product or event which cannot later be produced. There have been a number of hoaxes in technological fields, wherein the hoaxer promises that proof of his offering will be forthcoming -- eventually.

Vaporware

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote

mtwo I hear you but I think the beta release needs fixing up before any further features are considered. There is an absolute ton of stuff to go through already.

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote

Vaporware? I hardly think so as I've seen the beta version. It takes a lot of effort to release quality software - everyone who benefits from it should appreciate that.

Nomad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote

Just a thought......

So many people want this mod, just release the Beta public, as is no warantee (like a used car). Start a forum for it, and let the bugs work themselves out. Watch it jell for a few months, collect the data and then issue a new release with all the fixes. Call it "pimp my cnbya ROTFL "

If a baby stays in the womb too long, sometimes the doctor has to cut it out or it will die and kill the mother too. Let it live!

Too much hard work have been put in by people to make cnbya a house hold word for people to call it "vaporware"

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:11 am Reply with quote

The problem with releaseing a Beta like this to the public is that if there is a bug that causes a complete failure (a critical error), it is not a single job to remove and re-install the 'old' Your Account module unless you have renamed the old files on the server so you can rename them back again.

kenwood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote

Like always if you put a new module or new script on your site ALWAYS backup your database and file's Wink

Nomad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote

I see your point.........

Dont put a knife in the hands of a child, he might cut himself.

But some people are asking for it....let em have it. Hard head makes soft behind.

Me personally, I would wait for the fix...Save me a lot of time searching the forums, and getting help from people like you.

Being the guru/elders of the community, you have a sense of higher responsibility or maturity towards the others.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Just to add to what Guardian said. I don't know if CNBYA requires table changes but if it does and you install it, then if you decide that you want to revert you are probably going to have to undo the table changes in conjunction with undoing the code changes. Or if, say a new version of Ravennuke comes out and has a different table structure than CNBYA you are going to have choices to make. I don't know if this is an issue or not, but I had similar issues with the Approve Membership module and it can be very time consuming.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Nomad wrote:
Being the guru/elders of the community, you have a sense of higher responsibility or maturity towards the others.

Nomad, I am not sure why you are making this statement or what you are trying to imply.

Regardless, maybe you are under the misconception that anyone here at RavenPHPScripts is in anyway responsible for the development of the 5.0.0 release. I believe a few are on the beta test team, but they have no responsibility for development.

Many of us here are just as anxious for 5.0.0 to come out and only wish there was something we personally could do to move it along. <sigh>

gregexp
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote

Not to undermine montegos post at all, I was just curious who is developing it?

As for nomads statement,

If this is what you meant:

The people who develope modules and addons/fixes for nuke and other cms have a responsibilty to scrutenize their own work.

I agree, to a point, The developers provide something tangable for others. Now, if they make you pay for it, I completely agree. But if not, then what they give you is COMPLETELY upto you to scrutenize.

Its kinda like if I give you a free hamburger at Mcdonalds- you might want to ask yourself why its free and then check yourself to make sure someone didnt drop it on the floor.

So to sum it up, TEST/RETEST and test again.

Many coders/developers DO infact scrutenize their own work for the interest of a reputation and frankly I do it myself for my codes based on the fact that I want as little support as necessary. Not that I mind giving support but I prefer to not feel the weight of my own mistakes but I also REFUSE to put that on others shoulders.

Thats why I like this forum. The coders/developers here hold a higher moral standard on themselves. This is not to say that others dont, just that here I KNOW Ill see those standards at good use.

Like montego guardian kguske hitwalker and raven all have excellent scripts that they put out there for your use and are the first to tell me to secure my scripts when they are not so They show me that they ALL have that moral standard for this community, but remember this is a personal choice and noone has the RESPONSIBILITY to live upto those standards unless they put it on themselves.

DONT expect everyone to put those standards on themselves.
:coughs: coppermine :coughs: Laughing j/k

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote

Darklord summed it up:

darklord wrote:

Thats why I like this forum. The coders/developers here hold a higher moral standard on themselves. This is not to say that others dont, just that here I KNOW Ill see those standards at good use.

That is what I ment by that statement. I absolutly know that the people at Raven PHP scripts isnt responsible for CNBYA.

I was looking at it from the viewpoint of a wise man talking to a man that is not as wise. Sometimes we like to rush into things and put our foot into our mouths. It appears to me that Guardian was looking out for those that are not as wise as him. So I gave him that respect, to quote:
guardian2003 wrote:

The problem with releaseing a Beta like this to the public....

I know, that If many people got their hands on the beta (including myself), and it crashed their system, they would come here looking for help. So I just agreed with Guardian, and said I'll wait it out (but thats me not being risky).

But I know many people are willing to take that risk, and as long as you implicitly state that risk, then go ahead and let them. When I was a Electronic Tech, It was called the smoke test. If you cant spot the defective component, then let it run until it smokes. Then you will definitly know where the problem lies.

A good programmer has a reputation he needs to keep, but if he waits too long, people will loose faith. They will move on to something else. I say let the risk takers have a shot at it, call it a field test. Collect data, then put out the final version. Reputation is then kept safe, the momentum is not lost, and they will only remember the quality final product.

Look at what we have now, I know I had to search high, low, and in-between to find a version that worked half decently. Its not perfect, yet everybody is happy with it. So happy in fact, that we are sitting having many discussion about the future release of a product that was promissed many many months ago. If people could stand in line for this, I believe it would be an overnight camp out at the ticket booth.

Last edited by Nomad on Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total 
montego

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote

Nomad, Ok, thanks! For a minute there I thought I was going to have to Smack But, I misread your intent. Groovy

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Nomad I agree with you to a point.
If the Beta version WAS released and even if a caveat was made regarding potentially site stopping bugs or other issues, from a developers point of view that would be fantastic because it would mean the majority of bugs could be identified in a matter of days, instead of weeks as you would have multiple individuals testing it in different environments with different configuration options.

BUT the main problem with this at the moment is there simply is no one to actually fix any bugs or issues found and to that extent, its a bit like giving someone a saddle then shooting his horse.

Even some of the hard core coders here would need several weeks just to get their head around the code, the 'flow' of what it does etc and I do not mean that in a disrespectful way.

I posted a bug and potential fix for one bug at sourceforge and never even got a reply or response which is one reason I'm trying to stir up enough renewed interest that hopefully it might get the attention it deserves.
Sadly most of us are involved quite heavily with our own modules, Raven Nuke and 'other' ideas/projects.

I will be re-installing CNBYA once the next version of Raven Nuke is released and going over it. I may not be able to fix anything with my very limited knowledge but I'm certainly going to give it a go.

crazzyt9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote

personally i have two sites, i have my main site (which is being worked on right now and not open to the public) and i have my crash test site (or test site) which i install mods on before installing them on my main site, I would love to be apart of this "Smoke" test you talk about if it was a reality. Personally I agree, and thing that they should do this for two reasons.
1. It would make the ppl who have been waiting for ever happy they get to try a new version.
2. It would bring the unknown bugs to hand quicker.

Just my thoughts tho.

Crazzt9 Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> CNB Your Account

View next topic
View previous topic