Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...
SPJeff69
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote

I know of SPChat...any other good ones?

CurtisH
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote

FlashChat is pretty awesome and can be integrated within nuke to use the nuke_users table plus there are a few blocks available to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote

Where do I get FlashChat?

CurtisH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote

Sorry...my bad. *LOL*
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

buildingmaster01
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote

Any free ones? I am thing about getting Flash Chat, but I can't get 7.0 to upgrade without it getting rid of my admin menu.

California
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote

I run flash chat with 7.0 no problem. There are a few minor bugs but nothing to keep you from using it. My members love it and I could not get them to use SP Chat when we tried that one. Definately worth the $5 for Flash Chat.

Flash Chat bugs: When people login through the flash chat login screen a cookie is set in the main site directory instead of the directory you have it in. This can cause people to not be able to log out. It won't be a problem if you run flash chat and php nuke in your root like [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] instead of [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] It does not happen when logging in through the phpnuke interface, only when someones time expires and they get the flashchat login interface during a session and have to relogin.

Also moderators who login through the flash chat interface get an admin cookie set so they can access some admin areas that are not protected properly (somaire can be accessed without admin access when the link shows up with moderator status) so you will have to do some testing and fix some security issues if you use moderators that are not admins.

SP Chat had too many bugs and did not work with a lot of browsers. Constant complaints about that program from my users. Mac users can also not use this program and there are no plans to fix according to SP Chat.

Just thught this information might helo but Flash Chat is an awesome program and well worth a few minor bugs!

larryinslidell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quote

I have been trying to get flashchat installed with nuke 7.8 for a few days now. I seem to be having problems getting it to connect to my database on performancehosting.net. Anyone wanna take a stab at helping me

California

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote

There is a problem with the FlashChat connection in the default install of the last few versions. You can either wait for a fix to be posted, try to fix it yourself if you know php coding or install it as a stand alone that will access your existing member database. You also have the option of using it as a stateless CMS with a smart link to make a simple automatic login when someone clicks the chat link that does not require integration with your database. Send a PM if you want to see how I did it on one of my sites or would like me to help further. I do not know the php coding well enough to fix the bug but have been able to work with the other install options to make it work with the database just like it was integrated with phpnuke.

VinDSL
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

Location: Arizona (USA) Admin: NukeCops.com Admin: Disipal Designs Admin: Lenon.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote

SPJeff69 wrote:
I know of SPChat...any other good ones?

buildingmaster01 wrote:
Any free ones?

I've been playing around with a Chat Room module for a month or two. If you're interested in this kinda thing, you might wanna take a peek...

To tell you the truth, I've never found a (Nuke) Chat Room module I like, including the one I'm working on, but what the heck? Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

My (otherwise liberal) web host doesn't allow Chat servers on shared machines because it drags down performance. I don't blame them. I've verified the performance hit that the machine takes by experimenting in the wee hours of the night, when nobody is watching. So, conventional Chat Room modules are out, at least at my ASP! And, I'm sure I'm not alone in this. That's what started all this...

What I decided to do is use a free, Java-based, IRC-style Chat Room service that takes ALL the load of your web site and passes it to the client's machine and the Chat Room provider. The PHP-Nuke module is merely acting as a mirror, so to speak.

The Chat Room service I'm using allows a lot of customization. I won't go into all the possibilities. Basically, it provides most of the settings you get in IRC. The reason I mention this is because of comments I've received by ppl checking out this module...

!!!WARNING!!! LoL! Chat Rooms can be kinda raunchy, and I have it set so you can access the rest of the Chat community at the service provider, and vice-versa. You will NOT be alone if you check out this module, so be forewarned!
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Anyway, see what you think. It's a little slow to load, depending on how fast your connection is, and how many ppl are on the chat server, but once the room is created, and so forth, it works as good as any of 'em, IMHO. If it looks like something that ppl might be interested in, let me know and I'll continue working on it... Wink

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote

One of my friends would like to initiate an IM or chat session with other visitors to a website (assuming the other visitor would allow that). IM would probably work, except that others might wish to identify and join the chat, too.

VinDSL, which Nuke chat room modules have you seen?

CurtisH, have you looked at any of the phpBB chat hacks? What functions do the FlashChat blocks you mentioned perform, or is there a place where these can be viewed / demo'd?

Has anyone done or seen any discussions / comparisons of chatrooms and / or server load impact caused by chatrooms / IRC?

Thanks!

CurtisH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote

kguske wrote:

CurtisH, have you looked at any of the phpBB chat hacks?

Yes, I ported this one at the request of a friend. It is pretty basic but seems to work really well.

BBtoNuke Chatbox Mod

You have to register to actually demo it on my site. Visit the Forum and click the chat link in the header.

kguske wrote:
What functions do the FlashChat blocks you mentioned perform, or is there a place where these can be viewed / demo'd?

In regards to the FlashChat block, the only one I have seen displays the chat rooms you have created and how many users are actually in the chat rooms.

Hope this is helpful. Smile

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, Curtis! Have you determined the impact of the chatbox mod on site load / performance?

CurtisH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Unfortunately, no. It rarely gets any real use on my site, at least not enough to notice any performance degradation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...

View next topic
View previous topic