Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x
horror-code

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote

Sorry I couldn't come up with the best title but if a mod sees a more fitting one, please edit.

The question is this, I run gedit normally and for some reason I keep getting unrecognized characters warnings when opening php files such as rnconfig. By default it detects and tries to display the content as UTF-8.

Is that wrong?

What could be causing these warnings/errors, and could I possibly risk corruption?

So far I have been saving regardless of them and just making sure my backups are valid first, and I don't see any problems, even though I get another warning when saving. After I save I don't get the notices anymore, but I'd like to stop them in the first place.

neralex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote

UTF-8 is not supported in the current version. I have it in use on my own pages but it was a massive work over weeks. Alone the Forums module was hard. I have it changed for some needed modules but not for all. For that you must change many many core-files of RN. You must also make sure to have the page and the dabase on the same encoding. A mix of both will not work.

RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:51 am Reply with quote

RN 2.51 is using ISO-8859-1. RN 3 will be UTF-8.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote

This is strange. I expected that they are not utf-8, but now I suspect I was getting false readings. The notices aren't appearing anymore, and I did not hide them.

I also saved several files using utf-8, or so I am lead to believe, and they all seem to work fine without causing any problems with the site.

I will have to find something to better determine what the actual encoding of the files are, while I believe they are of the iso format, for some reason they don't all give the same notice with a pretty common app.

After adding the ISO-8859-1 encoding option to gedit and then re-opening something that was detected and then saved as UTF-8, I did not get the usual notice.

At this point I would have expected it to tell me it isn't ISO, but instead UTF-8. Perhaps I need to try a couple different ides, but why do these changes not seem to have any effect on nuke?

neralex

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote

The php-files can or should have utf-8 but the charset of the page should use ISO-8859-1. The database collation could use latin.

horror-code

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote

Thanks all.

If I open specifically rnconfig using UTF-8 I get the notice, but if I select ISO-8859-1 and re-load the file, I do not.

So it seems perhaps either some kind of encoding mismatch, or possibly certain files were saved with the iso encoding? Could this be a bug with rn?

neralex

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure if we are meaning the same but one question: How or better with what you are loading this file - with gedit as editor? Dreamweaver and Notpad++ says DOS\Windows or Westeuropean, that could create the notice in getid because Linux use uft-8 as default charset! The file was created on a windows machine.

horror-code

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote

While it does use default charset of UTF-8, gedit allows you to select the encoding when opening a file from the File>Open menu.

It could be gedit related, but it does not seem to be. It "seems" that some of the files are being saved differently, but it is ok. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't harm anything by saving as a different encoding, and you said the files "can" be saved as UTF-8 so I assume that means it's OK if they are ISO instead.

I have seen no problems as of yet, but I have set the default encoding to ISO-8859-1 now, and nothing I open gives a notice, so either linux is confused and thinks they are actually ISO and NOT UTF-8, or theres a problem elsewhere.

I will do some testing with leafpad since it is a more common ide for devs, and I will also mention this in the #gnome as there are some folks there with a lot more knowledge on gedit than I do. If it does turn out to be a gedit bug I'll open a bug accordingly.

neralex

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote

There several people working on the files. Possibly one of these files created with a Windows setting. Wit 'can' i want say that is possible to use both.

The new editors are using all utf-8. Notpadd++ or Dreamweaver basically create all new files with UTF-8 in order to avoid such errors. I have exactly this problem when I create a txt-file using Windows and want to use it on Linux or mac os.

Create a new empty php file with your editor and copy the content of the affected file to the new. Save it under the same name and the error should disappear.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote

I don't believe switching back and forth between the two at the lower end. From Wikipedia:

Quote:

The first 128 characters of Unicode, which correspond one-to-one with ASCII, are encoded using a single octet with the same binary value as ASCII, making valid ASCII text valid UTF-8-encoded Unicode as well.

Which may be why you have not yet experienced any presentation issues. It would be a different story if you were to accidentally save the file with the BOM.

horror-code

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote

montego wrote:
I don't believe switching back and forth between the two at the lower end. From Wikipedia:

Quote:

The first 128 characters of Unicode, which correspond one-to-one with ASCII, are encoded using a single octet with the same binary value as ASCII, making valid ASCII text valid UTF-8-encoded Unicode as well.

Which may be why you have not yet experienced any presentation issues. It would be a different story if you were to accidentally save the file with the BOM.

Does that mean I can make the assumption that this would work:

neralex wrote:
Create a new empty php file with your editor and copy the content of the affected file to the new. Save it under the same name and the error should disappear.

So I can:

1) open the file.php with either utf-8/iso according to what i guess it is
2) select all and copy everything into an editor using utf-8 as default?
3) save the new file.php as utf-8 and start editing?

spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote

I believe the root of the issue may be certain characters in the file may trigger the editor to detect the file as UTF-8, even if it's not. There is one in rnconfig.php that probably shouldn't be there, even though it is in a comment. The copyright symbol for nukePIE.... © if you can somehow remove that and save properly, it should open in the correct encoding. There are likely other occurrences like this elsewhere, the ™ symbol (and other) would likely have the same effect in your editor; if save in an ansi file.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x

View next topic
View previous topic