Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Issues
azism
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote

I am using RavenNuke 2.2 (I think Rolling Eyes ) and plan on upgrading in a few months. Why a few months? I have some special stuff going on right now that needs to run until May 1st (long story). I figure I will need to do a complete install to get up-to-date. In doing so, what do I need to be aware of?

FireATST
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote

In the latest version there is a pretty good how to install/update section that should answer a lot of your questions and give you good points to look at before updating. Another good way is to install something like xampp on your local system and make a setup as close to your main site on the xampp setup. Then go through and upgrade to the latest in the correct order to see any problems you may encounter that might not be in the howto doc...... Smile

BTW....I keep forgetting..... Embarassed .....there is also a wiki setup for Raven that may help out considerably.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
azism

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW....I keep forgetting..... Embarassed .....there is also a wiki setup for Raven that may help out considerably.

I found it. Thanks for pointing me to it. Wow, there is a lot of information there to digest. I know I will be asking additional questions down the road.

One might be is it possible to just do a major upgrade from 2.2 to 2.4? Shocked

BTW, I love your avatar! Very Happy

Palbin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote

You should be able to update from 2.2 to 2.4 fine. If you do not have many customization the best thing to do is delete all the files and start with a just the new ones. The db should be fine during the update process.

Remember to always have a backup of the old files and db encase a problem comes up.

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan. 
sockettf
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote

Im planing to upgrade from 2.3.2 to 2.4 but I've heavy modded the forums. Can I do the update skiping the Forums stuff?. I will try this in a local upgrade test also...

Palbin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote

You should be fine skipping the forum stuff if you are already running 2.3x. I think the database upgrade should go fine (I think). It just a question of getting the new files. The only way I can recommend doing that is replacing everything other than maybe the forum module folder.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote

Palbin wrote:
You should be fine skipping the forum stuff if you are already running 2.3x. I think the database upgrade should go fine (I think). It just a question of getting the new files. The only way I can recommend doing that is replacing everything other than maybe the forum module folder.

The very reason we decided to break out the phpbb2 forums Wink ! I love it when a plan comes together Wave

azism

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote

I'm a tad confused over your statement of "The very reason we decided to break out the phpbb2 forums...". What exactly are you saying here> YOu are still using forums, right? phpbb2 or something else?

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote

Yes, we still only include the phpbb2 forums as a module. However, we have made the Forums an autonomous/separate module that is no longer intermixed in RN. It's just like any other module that you can add and/or remove in its entirety. This will allow us/you to add the forum of your choice, eventually. We still need to write the "forum abstraction" layer which will allow the user to add (plug-in) other forums.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Issues

View next topic
View previous topic