Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Issues
jestrella

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote

This post is not to get huge list of desired features, there's the lust factors post for that, what we want emphasize here is:

What would you definitely remove from RN core?
What functionality would you change/update?

We want to hear (read Razz) thoughts from the whole community, you can be part helping create a compact. flexible and lightweight content management system please don't be shy and share all your ideas here.

Best Regards
Jonathan Estrella [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] 
jestrella

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote

And...

There are some discussions over the forums praying to remove Journal and Avant-Go modules as their functionality is kind of deprecated and not widely used anymore. So what's the final user really using? We need your input to answer that question...

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote

Maybe its time to move the focus to the "core" and put the modules into a repository?

jestrella

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote

first than that, we need to define "core" itself. Is RN supposed to be a news oriented portal?, a blogging system? fixed content site?

¿...?

blith
Client

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote

Hello all, Since starting my many websites and having been a member here for many years, I have never used any other CMS but Nuke, then when I found RN I switched and have never looked back. It is the most wonderfully put together product with an incredible ease of use that has gotten even easier on every iteration. That being said, I don't use the Advertising, AvantGo, Encyclopedia, Feeds, Project_Trackiing, Search, Statistics, Surveys, Top modules hardly at all if ever. I would love to see a stripped down version.
My .02
I will watch this thread and if I have any constructive input I will surely add it.

kd8hho
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote

well i think Journal and Avant-Go could go.

but yes I think "core" would have to be defined 1st.

what is the core we have to ask ourselfs

Linux Register User #481509 | Ubuntu Register User #25492 
NeapolitanWorld
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:31 am Reply with quote

I never use:
AvantGo
Encyclopedia
Journal

Backup DB should go. Other cms don't offer this, and should be done @ host control panel login to mysql anyways.

jc

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote

Assuming we had a cafeteria approach to installation/upgrade process, I would be inclined to drop every module that does not have database inter-dependencies with other modules or at least have some inter-dependancy like "this module requires you to also instal XXX" much like my operating system when it tells me if I want to instal XX or remove XX that it will also install/remove YY and ZZ

AndyB
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:10 am Reply with quote

I don't use encyclopaedia, journal (may use avant-go- but if it's an "add on", it doesn't matter), project tracking (in a CMS?)

just my 2 pennies worth Wink

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote

I, too, have a list of modules that I have never used and would love to see made as optional 'add-ons' given that we can come up with a really nice download/installation approach:

AdvantGo
Encyclopedia
ErrorDocuments (the last thing I want to have happen is a bunch of DB/PHP activity occurring when a hacker/spammer is attempting a ton of automated exploits!)
Journal
Project Tracking
Reviews
rwsMetAuthors

This is just my "never found a need for" list, but AdvantGo and Journal definitely are a consistent message...

Susann

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote

I used Journal and AdvantGo but it´s really time to remove both in my opinion.
Project Tracking could be optional.Don´t know how many per cent need such a module.

Csekk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote

Smaller but safer, brighter cms. Smaller but safer core:
News,
forums,
NukeBlog-blogsystem,
journal,
downloads.
Links,
Statistics

But let this be cleverer!
All user names to show the avatar, all modules, and the all comments. Bigger interactivity.
The Your account inside a module to create a friendly system, that regulates the sharing of the farther informations. (See it NukeBlog)
Comments email notification, e-mail notice potential, as the forums. (Portal marketing) (Every module would be is needed )

(Excuse me the bad English) Embarassed

jestrella

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote

Csekk, at least we get the idea... Dance-Y thanks for your input!!!
Wave

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote

Csekk, the modules you listed above are ones you would like to see kept?

Not many people use journal so it would be good to know how many people do.

Csekk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:24 am Reply with quote

The journal is used for very few, because of low-cost. A very missing a friend system.
Should you send an email to the comment by the author.
Avatars are displayed in the Similarly: http://www.vadalma.hu/modules.php?name=Journal&file=display&jid=235
Display the number of times read.
You need to centerblock.
Download: http://www.fullextra.com/download/block-Journal_Comments-CENTER.zip
or to commentsblock.
Download: http://www.fullextra.com/download/block-Journals_comments.zip
If you are an attractive, many people will be used. see fullextra.huIt has already been I sold Wink

Now a new project I'm working on. A community media the Rawen cms following basic modules.
News, (tricked out news)
Journal, (+NukeBlog,)
Forums.
If you need and then something later find, or like this.
Wink

jakec

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:55 am Reply with quote

Sorry I am having a little bit of trouble understanding what you are saying, I think we have a language barrier.

Csekk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote

But maybe better, as if I would have written it in Hungarian. Wink
My English it google English Embarassed

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote

After reading of phpbb moving to Symfony2 in the next generation I have to wonder if a simular path wouldn't be wise?
Lock 2.4 and provide maintenance/security releases.
Begin the next version based on php>=php5.3
Building from Symfony2 libraries makes a lot of sense and brings back memories of Ravens nirvana !
Side issues would be losing phpnuke compatabilities. Is this a bad place to go?

I might be way out there bringing this up... My plan to play with Symfony2 as much as possible and use it as a learning opportunity in this teachable moment in time.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote

I had a client ask me to install a commercial script that used the Symphony framework and the darn thing was massive. The 'symphony' directory alone was 8.9mb and I had seen similar scripts with more base functionality weighing in at under 4mb total.

I have nothing against Symphony or the use of a similar framework but 'ease of use/ eas of modifying' for your average user has to be the key unless your going for a full commercial product IMHO.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote

That of course is the beauty of the original nuke base simple to use modify ect... I hear that loud and clear. I'm mostly fishing for inspiration. It just doesn't inspire much but work lately. Rewriting the base seems like an un avoidable eventuality. Other then here it seems to be suffering a certain amount of abandonment.

I just feel like a rewrite of the source would allow for some changes like a less restrictive license perhaps generating more interest from commercial sites. Its sort unattractive to many users with the current restriction of running a footer for phpnuke. Like I said just fishing.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote

I agree with you totally on the license Smile

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote

While on the topic of removing things, do we really need the overhead of IP2country on every RN installation? Could we make it an optional component of NS? Or ditch it entirely? It can be really handy to have, but on the other hand we all know that hackers can fake their IP address anyway so the notion that you are effectively banning whole countries is kind of naive.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote

Banning whole countries was never the intended purpose for IP2C. IP2C is used for mapping the country for IP Tracking. And you are not required to install it, but I would not be without it.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote

And I have already promised that the cafeteria style setup/installer is coming. RN v2.40.01 will [hopefully] be released by tomorrow (Monday). Then, after some rest, I will begin working on RN v2.41.00. Palbin will be leading the development of RN v3.0. As to phpnuke, well, compatibility may have to go the way of IE 6.

Last edited by Raven on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total 
nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:24 am Reply with quote

:clap:

The whole idea of phpBB taking a 180 concerns me. I wish they released a timetable for phpBB 4. If it will be released within a year, integrating phpBB 3 would seem to be a waste of time. If it is going to be a couple of years away, that would change a lot.

Last edited by nuken on Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Issues

View next topic
View previous topic