Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Apache
kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote

I've seen htpasswd / staccess files that use MD5 passwords, using "AuthType Digest" instead of "AuthType Basic" in htaccess.

Couple of questions:
- Has anyone used this? Issues?
- Could a script be specified as the htpasswd / staccess file to retrieve user and password from the a database? (of course, this script would be deny from all in htaccess!)

I think this is possible - if not, have a cron job that generates the htpasswd / staccess file periodically.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote

Seems to me that Digest should work in the same way as Basic except that it's 'Private' and the files data is sent MD5 encoded across/through the network i.e. when the file is 'read' the data is not human readable.

I'm not clear on your intent but it is possible to use 'prepend' as an htaccess directive i.e. regardless of which file is used by whatever script, xxx.php must be processed/used first.
Code:

# set .secret extension to be PHP
AddType application/x-httpd-php .secret

# match the .secret extension
<FilesMatch "\.secret$">
# set the prepend file setting
php_value auto_prepend_file "secret.php"
</FilesMatch>

Edited to correct typo

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote

I wonder how many hosts have that installed. I'm trying to password protect a podcast, but most readers seem to have problems with passwords.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Hmm yes, I can see how that could be tricky. I'm assuming the need is to pass protect the stream itself and not access to the link from where the stream is downloaded (as the link is in an RSS/MXL dataset?).
Interesting but I'll have to ponder this one though something is rattling away in the back of my head. I'm sure I have read something like this.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote

OK, yes I see the problem. If you pass protect a directory in which the source is located, it pops up the auth box and no problem if you are using a browser.
But if you are accessing the link through a feed reader it falls over - interesting!

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote

Looks like a key parameter is the only option. I wouldn't want someone to have to put their user and pw in a URL...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Apache

View next topic
View previous topic