Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
ohiodarter
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote

Curious as to how one would go about adding Comments to the Content section of a site. I am currently setting up categories and adding stories using Content. Much cleaner and looks a lot better than news items. (Client doesn't like the additional data that "News" items have or the borders around them) Also, when you display the list of Content within a certain category, it shows them in the order they were posted, NOT alphabetical. This is ideal for posting of stories on this site. His newest ones are at the top and that's what he wants.. He also wants people to be able to comment in his stories though. I downloaded something called Content Plus and it doesn't fit the bill. First off, the site I got it from claims that you can add comments, but that is not true. Secondly, the blue style that is has is gawdy, third, it alphabtizes the list, and lastly, it wasn't from here. Really not too trustworthy of third-party addons. I'd love to find a solution here, as I am uninstalling this addon as we speak. Each time I come here with a question, I get the most thorough and accurate answer available. Hope the same is true this time, as this will crush me if I can't do this. I just copy/pasted almost 600 stories from his old site. Thanks in advance!!!
Mike

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:45 am Reply with quote

I think it would be easier to clean up the news section... Just some changes to the theme files.

ohiodarter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote

That would not be a problem if "news" fit the bill for the stories this guy publishes. For one thing, I like being able to list the Categories as it does. Also, I like being able to insert HTML into content and not have my theme override it. Lastly, have the wider cells and no right blocks is a must. I would think it would be easier just just add the tables to the sql and get the code inserted into the Content Module, than to try to adapt the News Module to look and act exactly like the Contents Module. Problem is, I have no clue what to do to get it to work. Thus my trip to Nukers Heaven - these forums...

kguske

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote

What fits the bill better: modifying code and tables to make content do what news does or modifying the theme file to remove right blocks (news has special right blocks) and the theme css file to allow fonts?

ohiodarter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote

No, All I want to do is add comments to Contents. I do not want modify news and have to remove code for the top "Posted By Portion", The Category Icon at the top right of a story, the "Related Links", the "Ratings Portion" and the Printer Options. Only to then go modify the theme style to allow the fonts. For some strange reason, it just seems that it would be easier to add one field to the page and a table to the database. I am not trying to make the Content do what the News does - I want it to work exactly as Content does, only adding one feature.

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Well you certainly could add comments to content, but it isn't anything I can really explain how to do in a forum post. It would probably take an afternoon or more of custom coding.

ohiodarter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote

Gremmie wrote:
Well you certainly could add comments to content, but it isn't anything I can really explain how to do in a forum post. It would probably take an afternoon or more of custom coding.

If you get a spare minute, PM me your price to do this and I will forward it to the client. I am going to PM you the site address so you can see what I have done. not sure I'd be wise to post it in the open, as it is IP-based until it goes live. Thanks for the reply.
Mike

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't mean to imply I wanted to do the work. Smile

Perhaps someone else would take you up on it though.

Loki
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote

Have you thought about using the Universal Module?

ohiodarter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote

Loki wrote:
Have you thought about using the Universal Module?

Where would one find this mate???

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

View next topic
View previous topic