Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Blocks
wiz
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote

Ok in this area i am a complete novice, and for those that have set up gaming sites, i would appreciate some intel..

I have game server query blocks lined up for a site, and a Teamspeak block.

Ok, my question is (not specific numbers) but what do i need to ask my host ( Rolling Eyes ) to open for me?
For those that cry "PORTS", give yourselves a gold star Wink
The question is... There is the port you have to join the actual server. You have the Query port, you have the listen port, you have TCP, UDP,TCP/UDP...and to perfect the issue In and Out on every single one.

So what do i need to actually request from Rav...ermmm my host?
Laughing

Cheers
WIZ

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote

Well....it depends on the block and the specific service it is trying to get to. Try the blocks and maybe it will work right away. If not you need to talk to your host about it. In many cases the block will try to open a socket to the remote host. And that can be disabled by hosts.

E.g. in the case of TeamSpeak, a lot of blocks use fsockopen() to get to the server's query port (default 51234).

wiz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Yeh, i know i got to get the ports opened.

But there are sooo many permuatations of what needs to be opened, i dont want to throw a pile of numbers at Raven and say "open all of these options" Because he WILL laugh at me.

I do have a list of numbers from all of my servers: Listen ports, query ports, join ports etc.
Just havent a clue where to start with it all, and i would rather just say to Raven "i need this, this and this".

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote

What servers? I doubt very much your blocks are going to need the actual listen or join ports of the games themselves. Only the game clients need those.

Just look through the docs for the blocks (if any), or look at the code or module configuration / admin sections and see what ports they are going to open.

Better yet, just try your blocks. They may just work. And if not, you go from there.

wiz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote

hehe. If they worked off the bat, i wouldnt be asking would I Wink

Documentation?, jeez its not RN Smile

Inbound/Outbound are the biggest confusers of my tiny mind.

Does the block contact the game server? or does the game server contact the block?
You see my confusion point?
Cheers
WIZ

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote

The blocks contact remote servers.

You are being very vague Laughing it would help if you would be more specific about what blocks.

Let's take TeamSpeak for example. I know about that one. A typical teamspeak block will contact a teamspeak server's query port via a socket. It will then read and parse the info from the socket to display some kind of status.

In the case of gaming servers, most gaming servers have ports called query port or status port. These are not the same ports as what you use to actually play the game. Blocks will open a socket to the remote gaming server's query port and read from them. The format of the data is in a well known published format. They then build block content based on what they find.

Does that help? Wink

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Blocks don't typically have documentation, I know. But they may have an admin area (if they are part of a module) or you may have to edit the block file itself. Look in there to see what the remote server address and port they are trying to contact.

wiz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote

umm kind of.

I have..
1 teamspeak
1 RavenShield
1 SWAT4
1 SWAT4 Tss

So i require both inbound and outbound ports opened on my webserver?

Lots of nice Teamspeak blocks use Webpost (like Ubertek's), im not to sure about why i need that application, or what it exactly does for the running of a php-nuke block.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote

I would not think you would need inbound ports enabled on your web server.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Blocks

View next topic
View previous topic