Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.4.x
wimpyskins

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote

I use custom forms on my site that allow uploads to offsite folders. This also does not go to or connect to my db either. However, sometimes when someone submits something it blocks them from returning to site. It hasnt done it for everyone, but it has about 8 out of 10.
Any idea's how to circumvent this issue, or if it's even something that im going to be able to continue doing?
Thanks
DAMIAN
ps heres a link to the html form for any test...
www.wimpyskins.com/submitaskin.html

gregexp
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote

Please post the string sentinel has banned them with (can be found in either e-mail or admin panel of banned ips).

Basically your telling us that this form is not blocked by normal entried so it must be with what they put into it. To test every form of input, IT will bann us on many types of inputs we put in so we couldnt be specific to the form. Do you understand what I mean?

Theme Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote

it could be the title of the file that they are uploading. If it has certain charactors, Sentinel can ban. " or ( or ) sometimes trigger Sentinel.

If you could offer some of the ifno on what got banned. You should have Sentinel ban notices as darklord said.

Ghost Stories & More [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] 
fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote

I get a queasy feeling about this whole idea although maybe it's the holiday weekend. The problem is hackers. If you let people upload to your site or to anywhere on your server how do you filter out malicious material? Sentinel looks for all kinds of indicators that the material might be malicious and maybe, in some cases, it could be overly aggressive but what would you rather have? A user banned or your whole site disabled by a hacker?

I'm not sure what the whole purpose of wimpy skins is or what kind of volume you are dealing with but you might be better off having people email them to you and checking them over first. As for "off-site" or "on-site", if they can get a script onto your server they can do a lot of damage before you even know it.

fkelly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote

Looking further at your site ... it looks like you are running some version of PHPnuke with the copyright suppressed. That won't get you a lot of support when you post problems here.

wimpyskins

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote

Ive been doing some more research and also lots of reading along with your post and the emails it sent notifying about the ban. It appears to only happen to those that chose to upload .rar files. All the ones that uploaded .zip files it didnt seem to have no problem with.
Thanks for the input, and your right it is safer to have a few banned than to leave the whole site open. And about the site, Wimpy is a streaming mp3 player for websites that can be custom skinned to match any site.
As for what im running its nuke platinum package , nothing is supressed, just because I use a theme that doesnt have a lot congested garbage all over the bottom of my site doesnt mean any copywrites are removed. You more than welcome to view my source files and see all copywrites are intact. You are also more than welcome to notice that this is my custom theme and therefore doesnt need to show any copywrites unless I choose to show them. Futhermore, if you would like to read up on it, phpnuke is free to do with as you please. If you feel this is an issue or a problem then take it up with the proper people and dont waste everyones time with your issues your hung up on. If more people have the same type of attitude that you do fkelly, then there probably wouldnt be a lot of people coming to ask your opinions anyway. In fact, I doubt that ill be back. Its a fine site here, and a lot of nice people and great information.....only to be ruined by someone whom tries to think their better than others.

GOOD DAY and Goodbye
DAMIAN

fkelly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote

Starting from the end, no one here, including me, said they are better than anyone. And no one is hung up on anything. There are plenty of people who know a lot more about the copywright than I do and I've never been all that interested in legal issues anyway except to make sure I comply in what I do. That said, I don't think you can just drop all the "congested garbage" all over the bottom of your site freely, but at the same time I have no interest in being the POLICE for that. I doubt that having it in view source complies.

I looked up Wimpy, it looks cool. I just hope hackers don't figure out how to exploit it and bypass Sentinel. It's too bad but allowing anyone to upload onto a web site comes with a lot of risks these days and that's just a fact of life.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.4.x

View next topic
View previous topic