Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums
 

 

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel™ v2.6.x
Author Message
triple7
Hangin' Around


Joined: Jul 28, 2008
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, moving this to NS forums.

Ok, so I have follwed the steps to setup the admin auth.

My site is using the auth CGI.

So,

I scanned for new admins, ensured they all had passwords, built my .staccess file, then copied in information to .htaccess.

I set the permissions on both file to 666.

Now, when I try to open admin.php, I am prompted for credentials, but when I enter them, it does not authenticate.

I have verified that .staccess was popluated with usernames and the hashed passwords.

Any ideas at all?


Last edited by triple7 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total 
View user's profile Send private message
jakec
Site Admin


Joined: Feb 06, 2006
Posts: 3048
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Try clearing your browser cache and try again.
 
View user's profile Send private message
Susann
Moderator


Joined: Dec 19, 2004
Posts: 3191
Location: Germany:Moderator German NukeSentinel Support

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote

You missed a step or two possible your path or your password isn´t correct because this function works always.
Use the forums search because many had this problem before.


Also you can always start fresh.
 
View user's profile Send private message
jakec
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote

I'm going to move this to the other forum and we can continue to use this thread, as you have already received a response on this post.
 
triple7
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Susann wrote:
You missed a step or two possible your path or your password isn´t correct because this function works always.
Use the forums search because many had this problem before.


Also you can always start fresh.


The paths seem to be correct, because the .staccess file was written...

I tried my password and the passwords of all the other users as well.

it is not authenticating...
 
triple7
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote

jakec wrote:
Try clearing your browser cache and try again.


No Dice.
 
Susann
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote

You can start fresh with an empty staccess and Http Auth protection set to 0 in nuke_ nsnst_config.
Check also your table nuke_nsnst_admins for your passwords.
I quess you have an other password in the database stored or in the .staccess and therefore it will not work.
 
triple7
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Susann wrote:
You can start fresh with an empty staccess and Http Auth protection set to 0 in nuke_ nsnst_config.
Check also your table nuke_nsnst_admins for your passwords.
I quess you have an other password in the database stored or in the .staccess and therefore it will not work.


Started from scratch, still totally not letting me in.

This is going to drive me bonkers.

Where in the DB would passwords be stored?
 
Susann
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote

Nuke Sentinel passwords in your database there nuke_ nsnst_admins.
Check also this mayme it helps: Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!
 
triple7
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote

Susann wrote:
Nuke Sentinel passwords in your database there nuke_ nsnst_admins.
Check also this mayme it helps: Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!


Yeah, I had already read that thread. I did everything in the thread, and still nothing.

By way of deduction, there is a problem with the way the http AUTH is tryin gto read or look for the .staccess file.

I'll say it agan, The paths are all correct in NSACP, as evidenced by the fact when I click "Build .staccess file" the file is populated with the usernames, and the hashed passwords.

Unfortunately, when I try to log in, it does not accept the passwords. so either

1) it is looking for the wrong .staccess file at THAT POINT
2) there is something wrong with the encryption (what is the encryption salt in the CP and what should it be?)

I am leaning more towards it is looking in the wrong place for the .staccess file (at the time of authentication)


If anyone can share some further insight, I 'd be greatly appreciative...
 
Susann
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote

If you are unsure just use the standard crypt salt N$ from the nukesentinel administration also there is a help icon for more information.
At any time you can start fresh but you need to know from the NS readme:
"ONLY ADD the CGIAuth sample
.htaccess code after setting up the rest of NukeSentinel(tm), otherwise you will be
locked out of your sites admin section."
 
triple7
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote

Susann wrote:
If you are unsure just use the standard crypt salt N$ from the nukesentinel administration also there is a help icon for more information.
At any time you can start fresh but you need to know from the NS readme:
"ONLY ADD the CGIAuth sample
.htaccess code after setting up the rest of NukeSentinel(tm), otherwise you will be
locked out of your sites admin section."


Would you know if there is an issue with having the .staccess file in the root directory?
 
triple7
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote

OK, so, I tried this again, on a different site, brandy-new install of raven nuke.

The install went fine, no hitches.

However, the same issue arose with the httpauth as on theother site.

I configured the httpauth, and get prompted for a PW, and no dice. It doesn't auithenticate.

The only things I can think of are

1) there is an issue with having the .staccess file in the root
2) there is an issue with the way the host confugred their server. For the record, the host I am using for both sites is 1and1.com

Anyone have any ideas?
 
Susann
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote

Don´t know exactly about your hoster but I´m quite sure you did something wrong.
I can take a look at your brand-new site PM your passwords.
 
Raven
Site Admin/Owner


Joined: Aug 27, 2002
Posts: 17086

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote

When you say .staccess is in root, do you mean /root as the root folder on your server? If so, that would be a very wrong place to put it. .staccess MUST be in a folder/partition that Apache has read/write access to. But since you say the user/pass hashes are written then that means Apache has r/w access. Please clarify exactly what your setup is. Are .staccess and .htaccess in the same folder as mainfile.php? If not, you should put them there.
 
View user's profile Send private message
triple7
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
When you say .staccess is in root, do you mean /root as the root folder on your server? If so, that would be a very wrong place to put it. .staccess MUST be in a folder/partition that Apache has read/write access to. But since you say the user/pass hashes are written then that means Apache has r/w access. Please clarify exactly what your setup is. Are .staccess and .htaccess in the same folder as mainfile.php? If not, you should put them there.


Sorry for not being clear.

This is a shared hosting account, so when I say root I mean the root of this directory not root on the machine.

Yes, .staccess and .htaccess are both in the same directory as mainfile.php.
 
triple7
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote

Susann wrote:
Don´t know exactly about your hoster but I´m quite sure you did something wrong.
I can take a look at your brand-new site PM your passwords.


I am going to do another re-install with some changes, I will PM you details to that account later tonight, thanks!
 
Susann
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote

Everything works like it should but the problem was there wasn´t a path to the .staccess within the .htaccess file the code for CGI Auth and you didn´t copy the path to these files in the fields of the NS administration.
Jus use this site and the settings as example for your other site and everything should work.
Wink
 
triple7
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks for all the help from everyone, especially Susann,

I was doing something incorrectly, I feel like a horses rear end.

Thanks again.
 
Raven
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi all, thanks for all the help from everyone, especially Susann


She's great, for sure! I just wish she'd relent and let me make her an OFFICIAL Moderator Wink
 
Susann
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:16 am Reply with quote

Well, if you still need a moderator why not but it will not change my life or my behavior. Wink
 
Raven
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:38 am Reply with quote

I've worked with you long enough to know that change is not something that you accept easily, if at all. One has to drag you; kicking and screaming. killing me

I just think that you deserve a title (recognition) more related to your commitment Wink
 
Susann
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote

Sometimes its indeed better for recognition.
 
triple7
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote

Er, Ok, hate to rear my ugly head again, but there is still an issue now...

On my live site, after making the changes suggested by Susann (thank you kindly)
I can log in to the cgi Auth with my username and password, but another one of the users cannot.

I have gone ahead and reset his password for CGI Auth, and rebuilt the .stacces file, with my password and his new password, but it still doesn't let him in?
 
Raven
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote

You have to rebuild the .staccess filr through the NukeSentinel(tm) admin panel. You can't just copy it.
 
Display posts from previous:       
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel™ v2.6.x

View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2007 phpBB Group
All times are GMT - 6 Hours
 
Forums ©