Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Converting/Creating Blocks
gator81
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote

can a block be edited or created to have level restriction, a browse feature for choosing the file to upload, and the choice to set the folder to upload to? no downloads, no votes and if restrictions are set then most people wont see anyway.

why you may ask.
I use the wimpy player for the church site and I am trying to make it easier to upload the sunday message that has been recorded. So if I am not there the person that helps me will have access and can upload the message to the folder that wimpy will see and place in the player list. So by having a browse they could easily select the new recording that was saved and upload it to the correct folder.

I have been testing with the download mod with setting the permissions where nobody else would even see and I have not had very good results. I know there would be other methods but I would really like to keep it confined to the site if all possible.

If someone would want to try this, great, if not and you would have some suggestions or places where I may look I will try the best i can to get something to work.

thank you.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote

Is there a reason it needs to be a block? If you make it a module, you'll have restriction levels built in (create a group). By "keep it confined to the site" do you mean avoid linking to files hosted on other sites?

Setting the permissions on download module impacts the URL to access the file through the downloads module. I'm not sure how the player works, but if you then specify the URL to the file in wimpy, you could instead use the direct path to the file.

A quick alternative I've used is a great script called File Thingie. You configure this (i.e. secure it), then put it in the folder where you want to upload the files. It handles the upload and gives you a link, which could be used in your player.

You could also make the person an administrator with access to a module that uses the WYSIWYG editor, which would allow them to upload file to the uploads folder. This might require changes to your player to retrieve the files from that folder, depending on how it is configured.

Just some ideas off the top of my head...

gator81

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote

I would be open to a module if that would be easier.

I have looked into just using the upload folder through the editor and have found that with the new wimpy and trying to use an automatic mode it kinda goes crazy Smile
If i was going to use xml playlist then i could put the files anywhere, but because it is automatic (loads mp3s automatically in folder) I dont have to update the xml every time and it would be easier to teach and delegate the upload to my helpers in the church Smile

I am kinda thinking out loud here Smile but if a "simple upload only" module is created with the ability to admin where you want the upload could create diversity. Most people you have help on a site has some skills and alot could be done with a ftp program, but it is not always the case as I have someone helping me because they want a purpose, to show they are still needed and can help. She is a stand up lady and she calls me her adopted son Smile so for me to have a simple upload would give me peace of mind Smile she also wants to help by having the ability to upload the sunday message that was recorded and something like this would be great for her.

I am sorry for the long post, I just want to try and let you know also my reason for trying to do something like this.
I have went researching with google to find something that could be used as a simple upload, I have looked at code for a couple but they all seem to be setup for uploading pictures and small flash videos with a limit on alot of them for size. there is even one that can be paid for. Other then that I have not had any luck.

I will contiune to look and learn...who knows I keep this up and finally learn to code myself i could be dangerous, or I will never have any time to myself anymore :/

thank you for any help and continued suggestions

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote

It sounds like File Thingie might be a good solution for you. It's a really elegant script - works well, easy to configure, secure and use. It isn't a module, but it does what you need...

gator81

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote

I have been looking at that also, plus the upload module that is connected to the nuke docs that are on here but that info is outdated...if you want to see it is located here
http://www.ravenphpscripts.com/nukemanual-php-nuke-upload-module.html

I also sent a message to montego to get some additional information about the submit downloads mod that he has continued working with. In a way it would work, but I am looking hard to find a way to utilize it just for an upload to a specific folder without and the limit of the file type that can be used. It is simple and easy to upload just getting the settings or path in the catagory config is confusing. The mod uses the download admin and I can remove most of the extensions but the one that I want to use give me an error :/ "mp3" I tried to add that as an extension and also recieved an error.

I have seen post where others have inquired about something like this but i couldnt ever find any results.

So all i can do is continue to try Smile

again thanks for help and suggestions Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Converting/Creating Blocks

View next topic
View previous topic