Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.6
spottedhog
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote

I am not sure where else to put this, but I have a question concerning my attempt at removing phpbb and integrating SMF into 7.6.

My desired outcome would be to fully eliminate the nuke_users table and use the smf_members table. This would mean having all authentication by SMF. By doing that, it would eliminate Your_Account, etc. Also, by using SMF I can eliminate News and related modules, and Survey.

So much for the background.... By eliminating all those other modules, I think the only items needed in a "cookie" would be username, password, and nukethemeName.

To that end, I think the only parts of Nuke I may need to modify would be function is_user and function get_theme.

SMF uses SSI to do most of the work. A part of that code includes $context['user'] which is actually part of the cookie system.

One question is: If I can get the SMF code to work in function is_user and function get_theme, are those the only places needed to make all the other user functions in Nuke operational?

For now, I plan on keeping the Admin section as is, well, except I had to change is_admin to is_nukeadmin in all the 7.6 files.

Can anyone think of any potential problems in the outlined approach?

I have SMF working well as a nuke module and I currently have the registration system set up to register using SMF then a piece of code adds that initial info into the nuke users table. This works, but I guess I want to take it to the next step before fully releasing it to the public.

thanks in advance.........

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote

When you say "and related modules" what do you mean?

Without looking at this in depth I would think this would be a tall order. If your editor supports it do a global search from your top Nuke directory for the string:

$user_prefix."_users

The will show up whenever there is a query against the users table. So, in every case where a program does that query you are going to need to do a modification and replace that query and the functions that it supports with something else. I suspect that if you look at this in detail it will seem pretty daunting. My experience is that the Nuke code is pretty intertwined and untwining it is pretty difficult.

Let us know how you make out.

spottedhog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote

I do realize I may need to replace those items with the terms used for SMF. Not that big a deal really..... especially after going thru all the code to make it W3C compliant, etc. and in also removing all $bgcolor and moving that to the themes. Replacing nuke_users will seem like a cakewalk..... Wink

Related modules..... News, Topics, Survey, Private_Messages, Members_List, Submit_News, Your_Account, and the phpbb Forums would be eliminated. All can be done by the SMF forums.

spottedhog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote

I just did a quick look-see and only found $user_prefix in the mainfile.php function paid(); and in the Reviews. All the others in mainfile.php would be deleted with my approach and I had already deleted function public_message (); anyway.

When you take away the above mentioned modules, there are not so many places left where a user has inputs into a Nuke module, nor where Nuke looks for user info.

Thanks for your posting...... it made me go take a good look at "things".

spottedhog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote

Smile Before it is said, I do realize nearly all other Nuke addons would have to be possibly modified, but that is OK with me. I prefer to review them and ensure they are W3C compliant before letting the public use them with my "Nuke Fork". I guess in my own way I am going to do what I can to keep code complying to standards.

Lot of work? Yes.... but sometime, some day, someone will need to address deprecated html code. I am just trying to address it now and move on....

Susann

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote

I used for a short time the SMF forum and found it really good. At that time I thought about to integrate another forum in my Nuke. The problem was always the user table and of course endless work and no time.
Smile What version is yuor forum ? They had some security problems.

spottedhog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote

I have been working with SMF 1.1 RC2

Susann

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote

I used an earlier version can´t remember I did´t one upgrade afterthat I deleted the site but I know that my webpartner with the same version was hacked I believe through the sessions.So security updates are always important.
But SMF is more and more popular. Laughing

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] perhaps

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
spottedhog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:40 am Reply with quote

Wink That is me....... Wink

About the previous security issue with sessions..... That was about the same time phpBB started with basically the same problems. SMF quickly came out with a session patch. It may even have been the same fix as phpbb....

Here is why I like SMF to replace phpBB.....
1. Loads fast
2. Designed to comply with XHTML standards
3. Has SSI for the ability to bring out info from the database without reprogramming.
4. We can replace bunches of Nuke modules.
5. News entries, etc. uses the built-in bbcode editor.
6. Installation thru an install file which also creates the config file.
7. Updates done via a Package Manager thus bypassing manual updates.
8. Admin can create a new theme in the admin panel by modifying the default theme CSS file.
9. Works very well with a modified NSN Groups, giving SMF expiring group memberships.
10. There just are not any basic issues compared to what is seen about phpbb on the NukeCops forums.

Susann

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote

There is no doubt about it good reasons to give SMF a chance.

fkelly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote

You have me curious ... you are going to replace the Forums. You aren't going to use the users table. and
Quote:
Related modules..... News, Topics, Survey, Private_Messages, Members_List, Submit_News, Your_Account, and the phpbb Forums would be eliminated. All can be done by the SMF forums
are all going away. What do you even need Nuke for at all?

I really am just curious. You might have a good idea that we all could follow with.

evaders99

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote

If SMF has its own CMS portal system, I don't see the point in running phpNuke. We could just make a converter to go to SMF Smile

Susann

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't see the point in running phpNuke.
Maybe because of NukeSentinel ??

exciting
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote

is there any news with smf in nuke?

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote

Don´t know what in Nuke 10.0 will be as forums module but you can get a version with Splatt. Smile
Check our forum [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.6

View next topic
View previous topic