Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro
CanPanther

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Since you are considering adding eSolutions to your package, here's an idea that might worth thinking about.

Instead of making eSolutions or any other extra module mandatory when installing, why not include a page where users can pick and choose which extra modules to install? No other CMS has this. They all assume that no matter what, the user will want and use them. So give your users a choice instead. Have a list of things like eSolutions, Gallery, Sommaire Parametrable, Fancy Newsletter, OSCommerce, etc., all pre-configured, but only installed if the user checks the option.

Just an idea I thought I'd throw your way.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:51 am Reply with quote

Actually, there are some CMSes that have web-based module installation (Mambo / Joomla, for one). But the reason why it's better to pre-install it is because Nuke isn't sufficiently architected to support flexible installation, at least not very easily. That's why so many of the modules require modifications to core files. It's easy, however, to turn off modules you don't need or turn on pre-installed modules you do need. We could provide that functionality in the installation script, but it makes sense to focus on other areas because it's so easy to do in the admin function after installation.

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote

I like the modularity installations, if you've seen Gallery v2's one, its pretty slick. But unfortunately it would take some rewriting of phpNuke to get that to work... PHP Portal project anyone? Smile

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, pick a version, it takes you to an application that lists the
"core," which is required and all available modules. Also what languages and themes do you want to install. With each module there is a description and possibly even a link to a demo site to see it in action. There is dependency checking so if modulex requires moduley you can't install x without also installing y. And someone has figured out which modules are "core" to start with. Click around a bit and get presented with a confirmation screen listing what will be downloaded. Confirm, download and install.

Only problems are: (1) as mentioned the architecture of Nuke makes this a p.i.t.a to do. (2) It's a lot of work and no one is really queued up waiting to do it (3) oh I'm sure there's a 3 but I don't remember what it is.

You could probably achieve the same thing by just deleting unwanted modules from your downloaded distribution (as well as unwanted language files and themes) but you'd be running the risk of dependency problems surfacing, some of which might not be obvious.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic