Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x
Misha
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:46 am Reply with quote

Hi guys, I skimmed through the forums and looks like things changed a lot since my last visit here. I certainly remember way more active times. Shocked

Have a question to those who are still around. I am still running a heavily customized version of 2.02.02. Being forced by PHP changes I was able to modify it to run properly under 5.6.4. Now, given that 5.6.4 is basically obsolete, too, I am contemplating my options. Providing I want to minimize site support efforts and still keep it running more or less as it is, should I:

- keep updating it to fit PHP7 standards?
- migrate to the latest ravennuke?
- migrate to something totally unrelated like joomla or wordpress?

To give you some background, I am not a stranger to programming and few years of my life I was doing the coding professionally, but my knowledge of PHP is very limited, and javascript - basically non-existent.

Any input you can give on this will be much appreciated. Smile

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:42 am Reply with quote

Hi Misha, it's not impossible to patch it manually for PHP7 but it will costs a lot of time. I would suggest you to use WAMP (I prefer this on Windows) or XAMPP on your local computer to test an backup of your current installation with enabled error reporting to find the errors/warnings on PHP7. On Github you will find the current build in the master-branch, which is already patched. You can use it to compare it with your own code. You could also try a fresh installation or an upgrade on your localhost to the latest build, to check what happens and which code-changes you have to made to get back your own modifications.

Wordpress is not bad for a simple news-blog or portfolio website, because it's a blog system with a lot plugins and themes but it needs also much love when you are coding your own shizzle. If you don't need a Forums-module it can be a real option. Joomla sucks - but this is only my personal opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Neralex. I'll keep thinking...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x

View next topic
View previous topic