Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
providence
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote

is this possible?
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

1 center block on top
then below
2 blocks beside each other?

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote

There may be a few ways to do it. The only that immediately come to mind is as follows:

1) Create your own theme which places the "left blocks" on the right and then you control that right-hand column through blocks.

2) Use a standard "Center Up" block for the top block.

3) The bottom part can be a little trickier. You may have to write a module to place the content that you want and then make that module be your default Home page module instead of News.

Definitely some work, but doable.

providence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:05 am Reply with quote

ahh
thanks, any existing themes that does this?

I want to create my own but I dont know how to do that yet

montego

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote

Quote:

thanks, any existing themes that does this?

Unfortunately, I am not a theme person either. I can now code one, now that I have been through some modifications to one, but it is just to "creative" for me... Laughing

Jaded is excellent with themes.... [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

providence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote

cool thanks

jaded
Theme Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:40 am Reply with quote

If I were you and didnt want to spend the considerable cash that it would most likely take to get this done as you wanted. I would do this

I would use a theme and only use the left blocks. I would simply invert the sides used in the example site from right to left.

Then I would do as montego said and use the center up block for the top block.

Then I would use html and create another center block or module that would show the information as you want. You can use tables to set it up to look like it does with the double colum of games that are clickable to the next url. That would not be hard to do and would achieve the same look that you want for a lot less money. More time on your part but a lot less cash. Module would be my choice for this and then set that module to be in home instead of news. Wink

I would of course pay me to make you a very cool theme to make your site special and stand out from the rest Embarassed Dance-Y ROTFL

Ghost Stories & More [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] 
providence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote

hehe cool

but no money right now cant pay..
but I will eventually have to learn, what are the odds, my site is about skinning for palm pda, but cant skin phpnuke? LOL

i need to learn skinning for phpnuke as well..

thanks though

jaded

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:09 am Reply with quote

lol, well as I said, you should be able to do what you want for free. The time will be a bit long but you can do it I am sure.

providence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:19 am Reply with quote

i hope so, now I only need an idea where to start, and how to start heh

gregexp
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:25 am Reply with quote

if it was me....id do a search on not showing left blocks...raven has made a few posts
then id edit it to not show left blocks...in the theme.php...id then set everything i want on display to right blocks in admin and use the center blocks function

ill search for the post about not showing left blocks...and edit this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:28 am Reply with quote

He could do that of course but it would not be a big deal to use the left blocks and no right blocks either. Its all a personal choice. I was just trying to give him the option with the least amount of code change since he is unsure of code at this point.

gregexp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:40 am Reply with quote

i know...i was doin the same...tryin to give him the simplest answer possible. Cool

jaded

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:44 am Reply with quote

well, with all this help, he should not have any trouble doing it!

gregexp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote

im sorry jaded...i now think i know what u meant....in the admin/blocks panel...did u mean not to have any at all set to left?..this is possible and would do the same thing...they would only need to code somethin in the event of wanting left blocks somewhere but not everywhere.

jaded

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:51 am Reply with quote

yes that would be simplest for a beginner. it would require no code changes.

gregexp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:52 am Reply with quote

Dance-Y ...way too much coffee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic