Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Other - Discussion
kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote

After the success of it's recent free-license-for-a-day giveaway, in celebration of it's anniversary, Opera Software announced today that it will no longer display ads or require a license for its Opera browser.

This browser is FAST, and a great way to quickly test your site to make sure it displays correctly in all browsers.

More info here.

grantb
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote

That is great news! I totally agree with you. I tried it out because of the free-day that was posted by Raven. It is definatly as fast as any other browser and personally I think it is faster than FireFox, and that leaves IE in the dust.... It also has a very smooth, sleek, functional interface that even the most hardcore IE users will love.

Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote

How is it standards compliance-wise? FF is at the top, I believe, with compliance.

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote

Having used Mozilla and now Firefox for some time, I found Opera's interface to be a little quirky. Those who have done the reverse (ie, used Opera then used Firefox) believe Firefox is quirky...

Opera claims that it fully supports web standards (Steph will LOVE the ability to validate a page within the browser!):

Quote:
Opera prides itself in supporting all major Web standards currently in use, including CSS 2.1, XHTML 1.1, HTML 4.01, WML 2.0, ECMAScript, DOM 2 and SVG 1.1 tiny.

Validate code - You can validate the HTML code of any Web page by pressing Ctrl+Alt+v.

grantb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Definately an great addition to the browser familly. I do like the advanced webmaster tools add-on for FF tho... But I will bet that Opera will be up to par. When I first tried Opera several years ago, I found it to be very bulky, but now, seems very light-weight and system-usage friendly.

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Isn't freedom great? There's no reason you can't use them both.

djmaze
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:35 pm Reply with quote

If you really wanna try Opera's W3C compliances then try to browse to [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

That's my new PHP5 CMS and it uses "full" XHTML and CSS 2/3 and the correct Content-Type header "application/xhtml+xml" IF the header shows "text/html" it means that Opera doesn't accept xhtml+xml (like IE)

If you visit that website with Firefox you will notice it is xhtml+xml Wink

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Smile is everybody goig to the opera....ha....ha
Okay here's the developers toolbar. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

grantb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Hitwalker!! Very nice addition.. you allways find so many cool things.. thank you And Djmaze your CMS is definately one of the greatest.

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Opera claims that it fully supports web standards (Steph will LOVE the ability to validate a page within the browser!):
Sorry Smile FF has had that for quite a while ROTFL - Plus, it also will repair it if you want it to.

djmaze

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote

grantb wrote:
Djmaze your CMS is definately one of the greatest.

Ehm MOO CMS is way not ready as you can see the CVS contains zero to nothing :p
I'm still designing, writing on paper and designing in UML.
Also i had some hard time with some structural decisions and coding a XMI reader for an easy documentation system.

But this is not about Opera so i will leave it by this off-topic post and if peeps are interested just post a new topic with the question.

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:46 pm Reply with quote

I've enjoyed Opera for quite a while but yeah it seems like once in a while ya come accross pages that just won't render properly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Other - Discussion

View next topic
View previous topic