Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Other - Discussion
Nelson
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am developing a nuke module from a standalone chess server application.

The front end is done, and I am currently working on the admin stuff for it.

I have the front end up and running on my site for testing, if you are interested in taking a look.. After registering, simply click on the "Play Chess Beta" link in the main menu.

My question is for those of you who have developed modules under GNU/GPL.

Do I need to do anything special to offer it (when it is ready) to the Nuke Community from a legal standpoint, and if so, what?

I am very ignorant in this area, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nelson
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote

If it requires phpnuke to run, then it must be GNU/GPL.

That's it Wink

Nelson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
If it requires phpnuke to run, then it must be GNU/GPL.

That's it Wink

Thanks, Raven.. I thought as much, but I thought it would be best to check with the MAN to be sure. Smile

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote

I am a bit confused. All of Bob's scripts on NukeScripts are CPL, not GPL, so is there really more to it than just "if it requires phpnuke to run, then it must be GNU/GPL"?

Are you saying that if you have to distribute a modified version of an existing phpnuke file that it requires that your ENTIRE script must also be GPL? Or, are you saying that Bob's scripts cannot be legally provided as CPL?

Not being a pain here. I really want to know because was thinking of using CPL on a few scripts for Nuke.

Much ablidged,
montego

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote

I have checked this out with the Lawyers at the OSF and they say if it requires phpnuke to run, then it must be GPL. Bob can distribute his scripts under the CPL license but it is not valid in phpnuke. I have made him aware of it a long time ago. I think I may even have some older scripts with a different license. They are invalidated also. Great, isn't it ROTFL

BobMarion
Former Admin in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
I have checked this out with the Lawyers at the OSF and they say if it requires phpnuke to run, then it must be GPL. Bob can distribute his scripts under the CPL license but it is not valid in phpnuke. I have made him aware of it a long time ago. I think I may even have some older scripts with a different license. They are invalidated also. Great, isn't it ROTFL

The scripts are not truely CPLed. More of a screw FB license in that it isn't true CPL nor true GPL but somewhere inbetween. And please make no mistakes, Raven and I are not at odds on this, I just feel like being a pain in the a** to mr. burzi since PHP-Nuke hasn't been truely valid GPL since he stole it from thatware Wink

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote

Speaking of "Thatware", I downloaded the original code that FB used and have been going over it. When you look at what functionality was there when development stopped and what functionality is in phpnuke now, it hasn't advanced much Laughing. Yes, methods have changed and some structuring has been added, but not much innovation at all.

montego

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:25 am Reply with quote

Very interesting! Had no idea on any of this. Thanks guys for expounding. Sorry to keep asking questions, but do you know if it is required to place FB's copyright notice at the top of all NEWLY written scripts just because it must run in Nuke? I had noticed that Bob didn't in his, so I was figuring it was ok to not, but now I am not so sure.

Just want to do the right thing. I don't feel the need to be a "pain in the a__ to mr. burzi" ROTFL

TIA,
montego

64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote

So little innovation in fact that I can't help but wonder how PHP-Nuke could hold a copyright given that from what I have seen, Nuke modules should run under thatware. If that is the case, I would only have one question for FB. How much money does the author of thatware get if FB manages to sell Nuke for $1,000,000.00 (or $10,000.00) a more realistic value?

Now, in another direction as a heads-up, I just spent a fair amount of lawyer money on dealing with this issue as well as communicating with the the Software Freedom Law Center at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and according to them it breaks down (roughly translated) as follows:

If the module in question can run as a "stand-alone application" but yet inside a nuke "wrapper" (Wrapper being a nuke look in using nuke's headers and footers, but doesn't require the use of nuke functions... "Internal functions" being the use of the mainfile or calls to other nuke "function"(s)), or if the solutions can exist as a "linked-to", stand-alone application (doesn't use nuke functions, headers or footers at all) you do not have to make it GNU/GPL. You can make the license whatever you want.

Now there are conditions, as an example if you used any script inside your code by anyone else, then you would be required to use whatever license they used to distribute that script, as well as to include their credits.

For example, let's say that your chess-board movements used a "Dynamic Drive" jabascript function. In that case, you would be required to leave the entire script GPL because of the existing license of that function. You would also be required to include "Dynamic Drive" credits in your code.

But if you write everything yourself, again, you don't necessarily have to make anything GPL if you can avoid those "GPL inherited" situations.

Now... On one last note. If you can make your solution compatible with 2 or more CMS solutions of different platforms (meaning, doesn't require PHP-Nuke, but it will WORK with PHP-Nuke as well as (let's say E-107)... then you are NOT required to use GNU/GPL because you are not an "Exclusivity" license based script). The Exclusivity is the last hurdle (after dealing with the other above issues) that would require the GNU/GPL license. While this requires a great deal of additional coding to accomodate function call environments, it let's you off the GNU hook as you could demonstrate use with another platform and thus not "requiring" the use of PHP-Nuke.

Hope this helps.
Steph

montego

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote

Steph,
As always, very complete and well-written. Thank you so much and I am sure form others as well in future reads.

Best regards,
montego

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Other - Discussion

View next topic
View previous topic