Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
drmike
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote

OK, so I'm reading 64bitguy's post about people stealing his code and I go and take a look at his site.

...and I'm stratching my head...

Um, where's his required copyright info for PHPNuke?

And I don't see any mention of where he's complained about this sites or complained to their hosts.

Um....

Am I missing something here?

I'm all for copyright and all that and I'm not trying to get on anyone's bad side or anything. The two sites who ripped my work off without proper credit got taought a lesson by their hosts I'm happy to say. I won't stand for stuff like that.

-drmike

Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote

drmike wrote:
And I don't see any mention of where he's complained about this sites or complained to their hosts.

Are you saying that my site is an issue also?

64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote

As mentioned in my reply to your comments, all copyrights for my site ARE displayed. In fact, I go out of my way to make sure that all authors get credit, even the ones that are dead (yeah, actually dead) or that have left the community.

My login block is a good example. While I have recoded that thing from top to bottom, clicking Dashe's "NXP" copyright will take you to a nasty, advertisement filled page.

There is nothing there BUT advertising as Dashe left the Nuke community and is now turning a buck from his Copyright links... nevertheless, it wouldn't be right for me to remove it, regardless.

Every author and contributor of code to 64BIT domains gets full credit for everything as is the case here at Raven's.... Even though that code may have been completely rewritten, copyrights are copyrights.

As for my PHP-Nuke copyright. You'll find the required PHP-Nuke Platinum link at the bottom of every screen and the PHP-Nuke (phpnuke.org) Copyrights and credits in the page-source of every single page.

I may despise FB for his coding problems, but I've never deprived even him of his Copyrights.

drmike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:59 am Reply with quote

64bitguy wrote:
As mentioned in my reply to your comments, all copyrights for my site ARE displayed. In fact, I go out of my way to make sure that all authors get credit, even the ones that are dead (yeah, actually dead) or that have left the community.

As for my PHP-Nuke copyright. You'll find the required PHP-Nuke Platinum link at the bottom of every screen and the PHP-Nuke (phpnuke.org) Copyrights and credits in the page-source of every single page.

I may despise FB for his coding problems, but I've never deprived even him of his Copyrights.

Nope. Sorry. This got covered with the GNU a few months ago. The copyright for PHPNuke has to be displayed as well.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

And, no, I'm not a big FB fan either.

drmike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:05 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
drmike wrote:

Are you saying that my site is an issue also?

No, I'm saying I went to his site and saw no mention of this issue. (ie like a rant or a list of "evil" users or something along those lines.) If this issue had been "building" (and I'm sure it has. I'm a published author and coder as well.) I would have expected something along those lines. Also when I meant host, I meant the box owners or the people providing the space to the websites incorrectly using his code. Like GNAX for your site.

As to your site, I actually can't say for sure. I'm going by this:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

It gives a specific phrase that has to be in the footer of each displayed page. Yours is different. But at least you have one. (For some reason I can't see your source code so I couldn't tell you on that.) 64bitguy does not.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote

Just to be clear, that applies to versions 7.6 and up (a major reason why I'm using 7.5). And it could not require derivative works to display that in the footer, though the copyrights must remain in any source that is derived from PHP-Nuke, which I believe PHP-Nuke Platinum is, though admittedly, I am not certain and did not participate in the development. That's why PHP-Nuke isn't required to display Thatware copyrights in the footer (though it's interesting that there are no references to Thatware in the PHP-Nuke source).

64bitguy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:12 am Reply with quote

Well, that's all fine and dandy; however, my site does not use PHP-Nuke. As I already stated, I'm using PHP-Nuke Platinum and you will see those credits and extra credits on my site regarding this. This software is NOT released by FB (phpnuke.org) it is distributed by TechGFX.

Please read the GNU rules regarding modification and redistribution.

While FB must get credit inside the code; as this is NOT PHP-Nuke, he does not need to get credit in my footers. In fact, he does not need to get credit in my page generated source-code either, but I give it to him as the engine (though modified) is PHP-Nuke based. He does not get credit in my Backend generator, because I rewrote that code myself. (Hence why mine says Generated by Syndicated News and my "Powered" Meta says PHP-Nuke with the full copyright notice).

If I were using PHP-Nuke distributed by FB (or anyone else as regular PHP-Nuke), yes, you would be correct; however, I am not. If your assumptions were correct (which they are not) then CPG-Nuke, Dragonfly, PostNuke, PCnuke and every other nuke based/forked solutions would need to publically display FB's Copyrights in their footers. I think you'll find that this is not the case, because FB did not release those versions.

I don't think the folks over at E107 would be too wild about putting FB's footer back into the code... do you?

Just thought you should know.
Steph

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:36 am Reply with quote

drmike wrote:
(For some reason I can't see your source code so I couldn't tell you on that.)
What source code? You mean view my page source in your browser?

drmike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
drmike wrote:
(For some reason I can't see your source code so I couldn't tell you on that.)
What source code? You mean view my page source in your browser?

Yes, the page source. The html. I am unable to view it with Notepad when I use IE to visit your site. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

-drmike

drmike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote

64bitguy wrote:
While FB must get credit inside the code; as this is NOT PHP-Nuke, he does not need to get credit in my footers. In fact, he does not need to get credit in my page generated source-code either, but I give it to him as the engine (though modified) is PHP-Nuke based. He does not get credit in my Backend generator, because I rewrote that code myself. (Hence why mine says Generated by Syndicated News and my "Powered" Meta says PHP-Nuke with the full copyright notice).

You don't see it, do you?

When you use the code of others, modify it to your own use, it's cool not to include the required copyright.

When someone else uses your code, modify it for their use, and they don't use your copyright, it's not cool.

You, sir, are a hypocrite.

I'm done with this discussion. I have customers and clients to support.

-drmike

64bitguy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote

I have to laugh. I won't go back and forth with you anymore other than to point out one last time THAT I AM NOT USING PHP-NUKE! I am using Platinum and have not altered the required Platinum Credits in any way, shape or form other than to add the credits of OTHERS that have been responsible for any of my code.

When I did use PHP-Nuke, I had the default PHP-Nuke copyrights in my footer. BUT, as I am using Platinum now, I have TechGFX's copyright and link in my footer. If you have a complaint about Platinum copyrights or credits, bring it up with TechGFX, not with me.

As for my backend, IT TOO is not PHP-Nuke. It is mine. I wrote it from scratch. Thus, I don't need to give ANYONE credit for it. It's mine. Do you propose that I give credit to someone else for my code?

As for my files and all files I distribute, they all have FB's credits in them as well as anyone else that contributed to anything I have, so your comments are simply wrong.

Call me "Bob Hope" if you want, it doesn't change the fact that I give FB credit in serveral places on my site including in the source of every one of my pages and I go out of my way to give others credit for their work too and unlike your nuke domain, my Downloads, Weblinks and other modules give credit to the actual authors, versus having no copyright popups at all or ones where FB takes credit for someone else's work.

Nuff said.
drmike wrote:
64bitguy wrote:

You don't see it, do you?

When you use the code of others, modify it to your own use, it's cool not to include the required copyright.

When someone else uses your code, modify it for their use, and they don't use your copyright, it's not cool.

You, sir, are a hypocrite.

I'm done with this discussion. I have customers and clients to support.

-drmike

dar63
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

There is nothing there BUT advertising as Dashe left the Nuke community and is now turning a buck from his Copyright links... nevertheless, it wouldn't be right for me to remove it, regardless.

I believe the domain just lapsed and it wasn't renewed, he isn't making money off that, it's just the standard page for that registrar with elapsed domains.

If you want it to point somewhere maybe point it to his private domain [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] or maybe even [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] who was working on an updated version.

dean
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic to me, despite the obvious antagonism between some of the most notable coders in the nuke community. I have modified my phpnuke copyright footer of some of my site with a download I saw thru this site so that it now reads: PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 with a link to phpnuke.org. Was I wrong to do that?

I also got a copy of Stephs wonderful syndicated news v1 and have it proudly displayed on three of my sites. However, I must confess to shortening the copyright from three lines to one on one site and to two lines on another site. Each modification included the link back to Stephs site. Was I wrong to do that?

Personally, whether nuke or module, if I modify (not delete) the display of the copyright without actually violating the copyright itself, have I done wrong?

64bitguy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote

I dunno about that, it says it's a parked page.

I do know it's loaded with ads, but I haven't touched the link because that's the way Dashe left it (it did used to go to a simply splash page like his other site).

The DNS shows the nxproject.com domain expired on Jun 5, 2005, so you are probably right about the deal, but I won't change it without Dashe's consent regardless. I'll send him an email and ask him if he wants me to point it to someplace else.

Thanks for the heads up though... I probably wouldn't have known where to find him without it. Smile

Steph

dar63 wrote:
Quote:

I believe the domain just lapsed and it wasn't renewed, he isn't making money off that, it's just the standard page for that registrar with elapsed domains.

If you want it to point somewhere maybe point it to his private domain [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] or maybe even [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] who was working on an updated version.

Dean... To address your Copyright information, if you are using PHP-Nuke (not a fork, but PHP-Nuke) that was dated after November 01, 2004 I think you need to leave the footer alone.

As for your Syndicated News 1.0 builds, don't worry about it. The Copyrights and links back are there, so that's fine.

I'm generally not a jerk about it as I know some others have cut it back a tad in the BETA and Version 1.0 builds, but what I do care about is when people remove the copyrights completely and worse yet, on top of that they redistribute the code not only without my Copyrights inside the files (meaning the opening credits) but with someone else's name where mine should be. I think you've gotta have huge cobunga's to claim to have written something that was actually written by someone else.

blith
Client

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote

What did I miss? Where does all this stem from? I want to understand how the footer got to besucha big issue... thanks for bringing me up to speed if you can. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic