Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Other - Movie Reviews
JediStryker
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote

I've read all five books of the Hitchhiker's Trilogy. I thought they were all, for the most part, hilarious; getting past the atheistic philosophies isn't hard when you look at it for what it is: mindless comedy.

The book's humor lay less in the adventure contained therein than the observations about Earth and human life made through the ridiculousness of the galaxy that Arthur Dent suddenly finds himself thrust into. Babel fish, improbability drives, a galactic president with two heads; they're all just facets of a spoof on mankind. What makes the books so funny and relevant is the wordplay, not the images. And this, I believe, is why the movie fails in such a basic way.

This movie does include most of the events that take place in Hitchhiker's, but it's at such a break-neck pace that you don't have time to develop sympathy for any of the characters. This is made even worse by the fact that new and pointless plot elements are added to the movie that pull it completely off-course and take away time that should be spent delving into the original story.

I find this particularly disappointing when the movie looks so fantastic. It's a beautiful film, with great CGI and some wonderful actors (though Mos Def plays Ford Prefect with such monotony that you get the idea that he has no idea how the play the character so he doesn't play him at all).

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a disappointing and ultimately boring outing, particularly if you've never read the books. My wife fell asleep next to me, and I only chuckled a few times myself.

Mesum
Useless

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote

I saw that movie last night and did not like a bit.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:37 am Reply with quote

oh, thats no good. i've never read the books (though I want to) but i've got it read aloud on record and cd, which is hilarious. I was looking foward to the movie.

Dauthus
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Geez, I must be crazy. I took four of my kids and we all laughed our butts off! I enjoyed the movie thoroughly. I also read all the books before the movie. It does help understand it a little.

What people should understand is the movie was to have fun with. Just like one of the old Monty Python movies. Great for laughs, just don't take it too seriously.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Other - Movie Reviews

View next topic
View previous topic