Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums
 

 

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> BB2Nuke
Author Message
ricktido
Worker
Worker


Joined: Nov 09, 2012
Posts: 125

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote

I don't know if anybody is willing to do this for me, but I'd like a "custom username color" mod that I found for phpbb that lets a user choose their own username color in their UserCP, to be ported for use with phpnuke/ravennuke?
Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!
 
View user's profile Send private message
kguske
Site Admin


Joined: Jun 04, 2004
Posts: 6383

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote

I deleted the duplicate post - please don't double post.

This is tricky because the user's color would need to be either a modification to the user table, a custom attribute (user field), or "repurposing" an existing user field (e.g. location, occupation, interests) to store this.

Modifying the user table is not recommended because it prevents future updates.

Using a custom attribute would address this, but this mod involves allowing the user to select a custom color (i.e. it's not just an input field or a drop-down selection). This could possibly be done with some jQuery magic (i.e. a color section field) attached to the specific custom attribute. The custom logic to select a color would be tied to the custom attribute (i.e. it would be additional effort to "package" as a mod for use on other sites, because the custom attribute could vary).

This "packaging" issue would also affect the option of changing the purpose (mainly the text description) of an existing user attribute (e.g. the location, interests, or occupation) to store the color. As with the custom attribute (user field), you would have to link the color selection (presumably javascript) to the repurposed attribute. This would make it easier to package, but only slightly since every user would have to agree to using the selected attribute for storing the color (or make code changes to switch to another existing attribute). And, the webmaster would need to consider the language file override in future updates.

Finally, validation of the user's color selection is necessary to prevent the entry of a malicious "color."

In short, this is a pretty complex change anyway you look at it. What is the benefit of having this?

_________________
I google, therefore I exist...
Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!
 
View user's profile Send private message
Guardian2003
Site Admin


Joined: Aug 28, 2003
Posts: 6792
Location: Ha Noi, Viet Nam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote

Assuming someone could provide something like this and you were willing to put up with the extra hassle during upgrades, please also keep in mind that if you are using a number of different themes, some of the usernames might not even be visible if the color matches closely to the theme color.
 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ricktido
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
I deleted the duplicate post - please don't double post.

This is tricky because the user's color would need to be either a modification to the user table, a custom attribute (user field), or "repurposing" an existing user field (e.g. location, occupation, interests) to store this.

Modifying the user table is not recommended because it prevents future updates.

Using a custom attribute would address this, but this mod involves allowing the user to select a custom color (i.e. it's not just an input field or a drop-down selection). This could possibly be done with some jQuery magic (i.e. a color section field) attached to the specific custom attribute. The custom logic to select a color would be tied to the custom attribute (i.e. it would be additional effort to "package" as a mod for use on other sites, because the custom attribute could vary).

This "packaging" issue would also affect the option of changing the purpose (mainly the text description) of an existing user attribute (e.g. the location, interests, or occupation) to store the color. As with the custom attribute (user field), you would have to link the color selection (presumably javascript) to the repurposed attribute. This would make it easier to package, but only slightly since every user would have to agree to using the selected attribute for storing the color (or make code changes to switch to another existing attribute). And, the webmaster would need to consider the language file override in future updates.

Finally, validation of the user's color selection is necessary to prevent the entry of a malicious "color."

In short, this is a pretty complex change anyway you look at it. What is the benefit of having this?

You are going into way too much detail, and you are wrong. The mod is located here: Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! for phpnuke/ravennuke. It is the same mod, but somebody already ported it. I'm not willing to donate to that site to unlock the "club downloads" for just one month, therefore, that's why I masking if somebody can help me. The benefit of this mod to my site is that all of my premium members will have the option to select a custom username color, which is a GREAT feature. If anybody, or you, can help me get this mod, it would be much appreciated.
 
kguske
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote

Do you define premium as having "a specified number of posts" (or is that too much detail)? If so, this mod might "function."

I'd suggest contacting the site owner for options or one of the members who has a subscription. I have an account there, but do not have a subscription.
 
nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team


Joined: Mar 11, 2007
Posts: 2024
Location: North Carolina

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote

Just looking at the description of the mod, I don't think it would work with RN without a lot of changes since it uses the forum profile to change the username color. We have made many changes to the forums file structure, group permissions and code.

_________________
Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
nuken
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote

I made a few changes to it to fit better with the RN forum. I installed it on a localhost and it seems to work correctly. Give it a try and see what happens. Make sure you do not try it on a production site without backing up your entire site just in case something gets boogered up.
Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!
 
ricktido
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote

nuken wrote:
I made a few changes to it to fit better with the RN forum. I installed it on a localhost and it seems to work correctly. Give it a try and see what happens. Make sure you do not try it on a production site without backing up your entire site just in case something gets boogered up.
Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!
When running this query:

Code:
ALTER TABLE nuke_users ADD user_color_gc VARCHAR(6) DEFAULT '';

ALTER TABLE nuke_users ADD user_color_gi TEXT DEFAULT NULL;


I get this error:

Code:
SQL query:


ALTER TABLE nuke_users ADD user_color_gc VARCHAR( 6 ) DEFAULT  '';


MySQL said:

#1146 - Table 'ttl_db.nuke_users' doesn't exist


I know how to create a table, and I tried to create a 'nuke_users' table, but i don't know what to do after that. I don't know what to fill in for the columns... Should I just skip this step considering I don't even have a 'nuke-users' table?
 
nuken
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote

did you change the nuke prefix in the config.php when you installed RavenNuke?
 
ricktido
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote

nuken wrote:
did you change the nuke prefix in the config.php when you installed RavenNuke?
Everything worked fine on my site. I've been running it for about 6 months now, it's just that I don't have a nuke_users table at all.
 
ricktido
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote

This is the error I got after adding all code modifications:

Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!
 
nuken
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote

you have a users table, we need to find out what prefix you are using. Look in your config.php file and look for 2 lines that look like this

Code:


$prefix = 'nuke';
$user_prefix = 'nuke';


Do your prefix and user_prefix match or are they different?
 
ricktido
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote

nuken wrote:
you have a users table, we need to find out what prefix you are using. Look in your config.php file and look for 2 lines that look like this


$prefix = 'nuke';
$user_prefix = 'nuke';


Do your prefix and user_prefix match or are they different?

Yes, they match.

Image
 
nuken
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote

You need to change the prefix in the query to match your prefix

Code:


CREATE TABLE `ttl_bbadvanced_username_color` (
  `group_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `group_name` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  `group_color` varchar(6) NOT NULL ,
  `group_weight` smallint(2) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`group_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM ;

ALTER TABLE ttl_users ADD user_color_gc VARCHAR(6) DEFAULT '';
ALTER TABLE ttl_users ADD user_color_gi TEXT DEFAULT NULL;
 
ricktido
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote

nuken wrote:
You need to change the prefix in the query to match your prefix

Code:


CREATE TABLE `ttl_bbadvanced_username_color` (
  `group_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `group_name` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  `group_color` varchar(6) NOT NULL ,
  `group_weight` smallint(2) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`group_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM ;

ALTER TABLE ttl_users ADD user_color_gc VARCHAR(6) DEFAULT '';
ALTER TABLE ttl_users ADD user_color_gi TEXT DEFAULT NULL;
Thanks, that worked. I still have a few code edits before I'm done installing the mod. i'll get back to you in a few minutes.
 
ricktido
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote

This mod is not what I was looking for. Sorry. What I was looking for is a mod like this: Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!



Where users can choose their own username color from their UCP.
Image
 
nuken
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote

That is a phpbb3 mod. RavenNuke uses a modified version of phpbb2. The only username color mod for the RN forum is the one above.
 
ricktido
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote

nuken wrote:
That is a phpbb3 mod. RavenNuke uses a modified version of phpbb2. The only username color mod for the RN forum is the one above.
If it is not possible, how it this possible: Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!

And Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! uses phpnuke / RavenNuke and they have that mod I listed above^ installed.
 
nuken
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote

That site does not use RavenNuke and the mod from clanthemes is the same mod I posted. I never said it was impossible. I just said the mod you want is for a different forum than the one we use.
 
ricktido
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote

nuken wrote:
That site does not use RavenNuke and the mod from clanthemes is the same mod I posted. I never said it was impossible. I just said the mod you want is for a different forum than the one we use.
TheTechGame.com uses phpnuke. Isn't RavenNuke just a patched, modified phpnuke..?

And where it says in the mod description on ClanThemes, that "users after a specified number of posts to choose their own color for their name in their posts.", where can they do this? In the UCP? And where do I configure the post counts and stuff so that they can choose their name color?
 
nuken
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote

What makes you think TheTechGame.com uses phpnuke? If that site uses any *nuke variant, there is no sign of it in the source code or the site itself. I'm not trying to mislead you about the mod. The one you want is for phpbb3 which is a completely different forum rewrite from phpbb2. The two are not compatible. Something like that could be done in theory for the RN forums, it would just be a PITA and take months of work and testing. I could not imagine anyone would have that kind of free time to be able to take on such a project.
 
nuken
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote

ricktido wrote:
And where it says in the mod description on ClanThemes, that "users after a specified number of posts to choose their own color for their name in their posts.", where can they do this? In the UCP? And where do I configure the post counts and stuff so that they can choose their name color?


The one I linked to is the same one from clanthemes. I have never used the mod on a site so I have no idea how it is supposed to work. I do know we have done some modifications to the forum groups system that may cause some issues with this mod. Again, I have never used it and have no idea what it is supposed to do.
 
ricktido
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote

nuken wrote:
What makes you think TheTechGame.com uses phpnuke? If that site uses any *nuke variant, there is no sign of it in the source code or the site itself. I'm not trying to mislead you about the mod. The one you want is for phpbb3 which is a completely different forum rewrite from phpbb2. The two are not compatible. Something like that could be done in theory for the RN forums, it would just be a PITA and take months of work and testing. I could not imagine anyone would have that kind of free time to be able to take on such a project.
The developer of that site is Telli. Maybe you've heard of him. He is one of the greatest devs for phpnuke mods and themes. I KNOW they use phpnuke. Several reasons here:

1. THEY USE THE YOUR_ACCOUNT MODULE: Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!

2. Same exact file structure as phpnuke

3. File: Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! used to be accessible, until I told Sean (the owner of TTG, that Telli made the site for), and he then put a 403 on it so nobody can access it. The file said <phpbb2.x configuration file for theme fisubtext>. FIsubtext is a phpnuke theme.

4. Also, Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! was deleted, but it also said things and had some phpnuke source code left over. Telli has rewritten most of the phpnuke files on TheTechGame, that's why it seems "custom coded".
 
kguske
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:05 am Reply with quote

Maybe the assumption that TTG uses Nuke and PHPBB2 is incorrect.

It's possible to use a Nuke variant with PHPBB3. If you do, and PHPBB3 is not significantly modified (e.g. by using a "bridge" between Nuke and PHPBB3 to share users), you can use many (but not all) PHPBB3 add-ons directly from PHPBB3 (i.e. since PHPBB3 isn't "nuked," you don't need a "nuke" version of the addon). However, since this modification affects user maintenance, you would need to do one of the following:
- use the PHPBB3 user maintenance
- (as I mentioned in my earlier, "too detailed" post) modify the Nuke user maintenance

Either one makes future upgrades (of Nuke or PHPBB3) more difficult since the modifications would have to be reapplied. You might think it's wrong be concerned with this, but others might not.

I haven't reviewed the different approaches for bridging Nuke and PHPBB3, but the user maintenance function (i.e. whether it's done via the Nuke or PHPBB3 functions, or both) should be considered. Older versions of Nuke used both PHPBB2 and Nuke Your Account modules functions for user maintenance, but this isn't a good user experience IMO.

Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! suggests that the TTG site is using a bridge between a heavily modified version of Nuke and PHPBB3 (since no bridge is required to use PHPBB2 and since the mod you want is PHPBB3). Unfortunately, the major features that could be used to confirm PHPBB3 have been removed (e.g. copyright, help, etc.), though there are some features that suggest it's PHPBB3 (e.g. ability to specify a page number instead of clicking through all the pages on a topic with many replies). You can confirm this with Sean and / or Telli, of course. And since Telli has already done this, maybe he can help you.
 
ricktido
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
Maybe the assumption that TTG uses Nuke and PHPBB2 is incorrect.

It's possible to use a Nuke variant with PHPBB3. If you do, and PHPBB3 is not significantly modified (e.g. by using a "bridge" between Nuke and PHPBB3 to share users), you can use many (but not all) PHPBB3 add-ons directly from PHPBB3 (i.e. since PHPBB3 isn't "nuked," you don't need a "nuke" version of the addon). However, since this modification affects user maintenance, you would need to do one of the following:
- use the PHPBB3 user maintenance
- (as I mentioned in my earlier, "too detailed" post) modify the Nuke user maintenance

Either one makes future upgrades (of Nuke or PHPBB3) more difficult since the modifications would have to be reapplied. You might think it's wrong be concerned with this, but others might not.

I haven't reviewed the different approaches for bridging Nuke and PHPBB3, but the user maintenance function (i.e. whether it's done via the Nuke or PHPBB3 functions, or both) should be considered. Older versions of Nuke used both PHPBB2 and Nuke Your Account modules functions for user maintenance, but this isn't a good user experience IMO.

Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! suggests that the TTG site is using a bridge between a heavily modified version of Nuke and PHPBB3 (since no bridge is required to use PHPBB2 and since the mod you want is PHPBB3). Unfortunately, the major features that could be used to confirm PHPBB3 have been removed (e.g. copyright, help, etc.), though there are some features that suggest it's PHPBB3 (e.g. ability to specify a page number instead of clicking through all the pages on a topic with many replies). You can confirm this with Sean and / or Telli, of course. And since Telli has already done this, maybe he can help you.
I have spoken with Sean last week. This was his post on twitter:
Image

Shortly after having that conversation with me, he deleted his Twitter. It was hard to get him to admit this, because at first he was telling me it was custom coded, and then I showed him proof by linking him to those .cfg files, and then a few minutes later, he deleted one and blocked access (403) to another one of them, probably because that one is essential and the deleted one isn't. I got banned from TheTechGame.com because I asked Telli if he could help me solve how to fix an error on my RavenNuke site and he messaged me this, I still have it saved in a text file:
Quote:

Hello.
First of all, we do not use ravennuke, we use TTGnuke. We used the PHPNUKE CMS, originally. We forked it and completely rewrote the code and used some PHPBB mods that could be implented with our "Custom Code". Please do not mention of PHPNUKE and ttg again, as we forked it and it is our coding. Although much of it remains intact, I modified it heavily. I cannot help you with your Website, as I'm done with nuke except for ttg. That is why Codezwiz is locked. I do not do custom service anymore.


Shortly after receiving this message I was IP banned from that site. The only way for me to surf it and find similarities and files relating to nuke is thru proxy. Also, I am not that worried about upgrading, as I keep updated by using the latest patches needed to be applied.
Is there a download or a file you can link me to that have RavenNuke and phpBB 3 bridged? And how would I go about converting the custom username color mod to work with it? Could AutoMod be used if I edited the paths from the files for AutoMod to work with RavenNuke?[/img]
 
Display posts from previous:       
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> BB2Nuke

View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2007 phpBB Group
All times are GMT - 6 Hours
 
Forums ©