Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums
 

 

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues
Author Message
aseitz
Regular
Regular


Joined: Mar 08, 2005
Posts: 57
Location: Portland, Oregon USA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote

I have never had to ban a user before, but now -- well I need to. The problem is that I can't find a "ban user" option anywhere.

I banned their IP using sentinel. The only account options i have under "user administration" are "modify" and "delete".

Any ideas?

_________________
if (video) {
die ( "Radio_Star");
} 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jakec
Site Admin


Joined: Feb 06, 2006
Posts: 3048
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote

There isn't a ban option, but you can change the password and email address to something different and they will not be able to use that username.

...or you could delete the user and then add the username to the Sentinel string blocker to prevent them re-registering. You could also add their email address to the string blocker.

Of course unfortunately this isn't going to stop them registering under a different username and email address.
 
View user's profile Send private message
aseitz
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote

jakec wrote:
There isn't a ban option, but you can change the password and email address to something different and they will not be able to use that username.

...or you could delete the user and then add the username to the Sentinel string blocker to prevent them re-registering. You could also add their email address to the string blocker.

Of course unfortunately this isn't going to stop them registering under a different username and email address.


Disbaling/Banning Accounts would be a huge added value in the RN distro -- Or better yet, integrated into sentinel.

I will begin the process of changing email addresses and password... Thanks.

-- edit --

It really would be nice to ban an account by name, and have that IP added to the block list and the account would be disabled. if that user attempts to login again using the same account -- the Ip address would be added as well and the user would fail the login by being forwarded to a sentinel blocker page.

-- that would be so nice.
 
phearfactor
New Member
New Member


Joined: Mar 06, 2008
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote

Couldn't it also track the cookie stored, so even if he had a Dynamic IP, it could still pick him up as soon as he went on the website and blocked him? Obviously if he wiped his cookies and had a Dynamic IP it would be hard to track him.

Aseitz, not sure exactly what the guy did but you could contact his ISP quoting the times of the abuse and what he did, and also quote his IP address asking them to do something about it. Not sure whether they will do something or not, but if they just sent him a warning email it may be enough for him to stay away. They usually have an email address where you can contact them for matters like this, usually Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!.

You could also contact his email provider (Yahoo or Hotmail etc) telling them he is registering to forums using that address and causing abuse or whatever. Same as above though, whether they do something or not is up to them, but to be honest all it takes is for one of those to email him and he will likely get spooked and stay well away from your website.

Good luck!
 
View user's profile Send private message
aseitz
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote

phearfactor wrote:
Couldn't it also track the cookie stored, so even if he had a Dynamic IP, it could still pick him up as soon as he went on the website and blocked him? Obviously if he wiped his cookies and had a Dynamic IP it would be hard to track him.

Aseitz, not sure exactly what the guy did but you could contact his ISP quoting the times of the abuse and what he did, and also quote his IP address asking them to do something about it. Not sure whether they will do something or not, but if they just sent him a warning email it may be enough for him to stay away. They usually have an email address where you can contact them for matters like this, usually Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!.

You could also contact his email provider (Yahoo or Hotmail etc) telling them he is registering to forums using that address and causing abuse or whatever. Same as above though, whether they do something or not is up to them, but to be honest all it takes is for one of those to email him and he will likely get spooked and stay well away from your website.

Good luck!


Cookies FTW! I like that idea...

Basically what happened was about 30 users (or atleast 30 accounts) were created on my site over a few monthes time to post advertisments for porn in forums. It's really nothing that I feel like taking the time to report. I just deleted all the posts, accounts, and blocked all the IP's and most of the referring domains.

Gotta love spammers... by love I mean hate. Smile

One more thought ... it would be nice if the current user manager had a split view. So the fields that you edit and drop down box that has the options of "modify" and "delete" was on the left half of the screen -- while the right portion would have a sortable list of all your current accounts.

Account Managment is just lacking in Nuke. I had thought that with the integration of groups, account management would mature and instead it seems to have been forgotten.
 
Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing


Joined: Apr 06, 2006
Posts: 2415
Location: Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote

Many of us have been thinking about how to improve Your_Account. Many people opt to install the CNBYA module which has nicer user management. Unfortunately it isn't maintained anymore.

But if you think about it, it is hard to "ban" someone. You get a new IP address from your ISP every few hours if you are like most folks. You can always register with a different username/email. Not a lot you can do except be vigilant.

I have hacked my Your_Account module to include a bad email list. You could also add emails to Sentinel's string blocker.

_________________
Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! - An Event Calendar for PHP-Nuke
Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! - A Google Maps Nuke Module 
View user's profile Send private message
aseitz
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote

Gremmie wrote:
Many of us have been thinking about how to improve Your_Account. Many people opt to install the CNBYA module which has nicer user management. Unfortunately it isn't maintained anymore.

But if you think about it, it is hard to "ban" someone. You get a new IP address from your ISP every few hours if you are like most folks. You can always register with a different username/email. Not a lot you can do except be vigilant.

I have hacked my Your_Account module to include a bad email list. You could also add emails to Sentinel's string blocker.


I realize that in it's current configuration I would require CNBYA and I could (and do) use Strings in Sentinel... I was really just wishing more than anything for a change, that's all.

Cheers.
 
fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing


Joined: Aug 30, 2005
Posts: 3312
Location: near Albany NY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote

You might want to look into Approve Membership. It's sort of the other side of the coin from banning people because you get to approve them before they can join. See this thread:

Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:       
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues

View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2007 phpBB Group
All times are GMT - 6 Hours
 
Forums ©