Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues
adaykin
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote

Hello, I have RN 2.20 installed on my site, and I just downloaded 2.20.01, and I can't figure out where the update script is. If I just want to install the updates, what script should I run?

virtualwar
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote

The best thing to do is:

Make sure you have no hacks with custom modified code (that would be included in the Raven distribution itself)--if you do, then use WinMerge (or a similar program) to compare the differences and take note/update accordingly.

Upload everything (except the config, rnconfig, .staccess, .htaccess, etc etc) in the 2.20.1 html folder to your website directory.

At this point (because I'm not sure if it matters or not... though I have a feeling it matters for the upgrade script [but I could be wrong Rolling Eyes ]), modify this code your rnconfig.php file:

Code:
/ Version define added by montego - can be used by scripts to identify RN CMS and version

// Do not change this for your site as it might mess up future features and add-ons
define('RAVENNUKE_VERSION', '022000');

//Inspired by phoenix-cms at website-portals.net
//Enhanced by Raven at ravenphpscripts.com

To

Code:
/ Version define added by montego - can be used by scripts to identify RN CMS and version

// Do not change this for your site as it might mess up future features and add-ons
define('RAVENNUKE_VERSION', '022001');

//Inspired by phoenix-cms at website-portals.net
//Enhanced by Raven at ravenphpscripts.com

(or you could just upload the included rnconfig file and update accordingly =P )

Go to [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

In the upgrade section it will tell you to go to: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Run the script.

Then delete the INSTALLATION folder (or rename it) pronto!!

Hope that helps!

Regardless, Raven and his Team have done a great job laying it out step by step in the HowToInstall files.

~VirtualWar

EDIT: If you are using the Attachment Mod, make sure you reupload the Modded files folder. (If you want to be safe in case there were more changes made to the Attachment Mod itself, then upload all the actual Attachment Mod files [except the install file] as well.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote

So I have to upload all the files in html except the ones you mentioned all over again? I have a slow connection so I am wondering did all of the files change, or can I get by with only uploading certain ones?

Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Like virtualwar said, use a comparison tool like winmerge (I use beyond compare). Download a backup of your site, and compare the files between what you have and the upgrade package. It should show you all the files that are the same between the 2. You can just remove those from the files you'll have to upload.

virtualwar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote

I honestly do not know how many files did or did not change in this distribution. There are so d*** many that I just play it safe and upload pretty much everthing.

Another alternative is to .zip the files to be uploaded to the site, upload that .zip file, then extract the .zip file on the server side (saying yes to overwrite).

Though, this only works if you have access to a file manager in a control panel of some sort. I use this method most the time because the time difference of uploading files by themselves vs. uploading only the .zip file is huge.

For example (keep in mind I'm on a screaming fast connection... even on a fast connection, ftp takes forever because of the thousand of stop starts that the ftp program has to do from SO many files):

To upload the RN distribution package via ftp it takes about 30 min.

To upload the .zip RN distribution package via ftp, extract the files, and overwrite the old ones... it takes about 3 min max.

It takes only 10% of the time to do it the second way!

If you are using a good host, you will most likely have access to some sort of file manager on the server side.

Anyways, that's just an idea. I believe that Raven and his Team mention something about that in the HowToInstall instruction (though I could be mistaken).

Hope that helps =/

neralex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:09 am Reply with quote

hello!

i find a extra update pack form 2.20.00 to 2.20.01 was perfekt. winmerge is cool. a little info with all changes helps better. but i cant find a post here. i have checked all files self, but this is not the best solution.

greetz

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote

neralex, ideally we would provide just a fix pack, but unfortunately, we just plain do not have the time. Most of us have families and day jobs, so we do rely on you all to sort out the changed files piece. Glad the database upgrade script worked well for you. We tend to like that piece too for our own sites... Wink

phearfactor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's input on this thread, it really helped me out with my update!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues

View next topic
View previous topic