Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues
nextgen
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Not really a working issue because it is working but atleast in my browser it takes 2 refreshes to see any changes like when i activate or deactivate a block. I am not sure if it is my machine (most likely could be).

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote

When I activate I see a confirmation message. If I choose yes (activate it) it shows up on the next page load. On deactivate I don't see any confirmation and it deactivates immediately on the next page load. Are you seeing the confirmation message?

We did do a lot of fiddling with the blocks.php program and thus it's possible there could be a loose end or two, so please get back to us.

nextgen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote

I think everything actually is working its just the cache in my browser not showing the changes. When i activate a block i do get a confirmation and when i deactivate i need to refresh to see it as deactivated. I am just not sure if it is just my browser or what i can do. It is not a big issue i just am not sure if any member features are doing the same thing and they will need to refresh to see their changes.

Brujo
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote

@nextgen

have you in your .htaccess the stuff with <IfModule mod_expires.c> ? for a test comment this section out and try again.

nextgen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote

Will try that my friend and post back the events.

nextgen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote

That did take away the need to refresh my friend.

Brujo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote

i think the best is if some of the RN Team take a look again into the mod_expire Stuff.

i have modified this section for myself and it seems to work for me...

Quote:
<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
# ExpiresDefault A86400
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access plus 5 minutes"
ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 5 minutes"
ExpiresByType text/plain "access plus 15 minutes"
ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType video/x-flv "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/pdf "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 5 minutes"
ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access plus 5 minutes"
<FilesMatch "\.(php)$">
ExpiresByType text/html "now"
</FilesMatch>
</IfModule>

nextgen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:40 am Reply with quote

Do you mind if i try that code you have shown my friend ?

Brujo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote

it is up to you, but if you try it please post the result.

the difference to the original Code is small and does "no expiry for dynamic php content" that all...

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote

The mod_expires was added as a template and is meant to be adjusted by each webmaster (as you have done). I never intended it to be a one size fits all. This is the code that I tested for several weeks and found to work for me. I use it on all my sites and I don't experience the issue that nextgen is describing so I am curious as to why he has to use the extra ExpiresByType text/html "now" for .php files. Also, it would seem that everyone would be having that same issue.

In any event the real issue in adding that code is that you will be forcing content that could/should/would be cached to not be. All php content is not meant to produce dynamic (changing) code as I'm sure you will agree. All php content ultimately ends up as html so if the generated html does not need to change then your code forces it not to cache. So, in essence, you are not caching any html code ( <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" /> ) at all as far as I can tell. Also, many people force all html code through the php process for different reasons. Here again, this would not allow caching of any output.

The bottom line is the same as with any code - there are usually pro's and con's to even little tweaks Wink

CodyG
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote

Fascinating. Wink

I don't understand much of which you all speak... (i need a real-time cache tutorial. I've read many websites on the subject, but it's still all woowoo to me.)

I think I understand that to cache html is a good thing. Unfortunately, on some servers, doing so via .htaccess plays games with the php output in the browser, and to see the proper output, requires sending all that html again...

I've commented out the caching RN 2.2 in .htaccess. Page output is now nominal, browser refresh not required.

I'm still confuddled, but happy.

Dance-Stick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues

View next topic
View previous topic