Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
Susann

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Time changes fast. A few years ago there wasn´t any problem to find a good support forum for nuke in my country.
A lot of users patched here and there because someone was so kind and published and translated the changes. Thats all over.
Today the most of this forums are gone.Closed for ever.
warp-speed.de is one of the oldest and latest Nuke contact point which is still online but most of the time I never saw more than 5 guys from 70.000 online.
The trend isn´t Nuke anymore I believe.Its over.
Wordpress and Joomla is popular.
RavenNuke is not unknown. That`s good. Smile
I personally don´t like Wordpress so much and I never felt in the past that this software is very secure.
However, they don´t talk much about security.

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote

The trend is to social networking engines like Myspace, Facebook, etc. Most other web sites are tailored to specific areas and may use a wide variety of CMSs. If you want a blog, you get Wordpress. If you want a forum, phpBB or something else. I don't think there's any one particular software anymore.

As for Nuke, I see it just has lasting power because of its age. Once ingrained, its hard to change (myself included). I don't see any particular advances coming to phpNuke unless FB removes himself from individual control and let's it thrive as a real open-source project.

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
Susann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote

evaders99 wrote:
The trend is to social networking engines like Myspace, Facebook, etc. Most other web sites are tailored to specific areas and may use a wide variety of CMSs. If you want a blog, you get Wordpress. If you want a forum, phpBB or something else. I don't think there's any one particular software anymore.

As for Nuke, I see it just has lasting power because of its age. Once ingrained, its hard to change (myself included). I don't see any particular advances coming to phpNuke unless FB removes himself from individual control and let's it thrive as a real open-source project.

Well, it appears correct what you said.
However, I don´t run a support site for Nuke I only try to watch and analyze whats going on currently and of course I´m interested in future trends.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Sorry for the long diatribe, but...

I think projects like RavenNuke and Nuke Evo (and even CPG-Nuke -> Dragonfly) make the stated issues with PHP-Nuke trivial. We aren't waiting for anyone to tell us what the official direction is - we're defining it ourselves, and even working together across many boundaries and even projects to make a better CMS.

It's interesting that many gaming clans use PHP-Nuke for their communities (although others focus on different communities and even corporate uses). Hopefully, that will translate into another generation of developers who want to make Nuke better by providing enhancements in many areas.

Chatserv, Raven and others provided core improvements and additional security. Evaders, technocrat and others have joined to carry on in that regard. 64bitus has almost single-handedly forced better compliance.

Bob Marion provided many of the enhanced modules we know and love, including NukeSentinel - which allowed many of us to get a full night's sleep for the first time in a LONG time around mid-2004. Montego, Guardian, Gremmie and others have joined to add new modules, tweaks, etc.

Many of the moderators here (and on other sites) provide great support for all things Nuke, as well as testing, documentation, and suggestions for making it better.

Although I agree with evaders' assessment of using the right tool for the job, I have enough gray hair to know that requirements change over time - and few applications have the adaptability and staying power of Nuke. Nuke is a great blog, forum, basic content, download, link, etc. system. It can host photos or be a wiki, too. Sure, Joomla has a lot of these features and may have become more popular. But it's also a lot more commercial, maybe because it's simplicity requires more complex development. It also makes support more difficult, especially in an open source environment.

I'm sure many could "enhance" this mini-history of Nuke, and there are many I didn't mention who have contributed in significant ways. But the point is that Nuke continues to grow and evolve in every corner of the globe, and even the founder, in spite of many blunders, can't limit that...

As for future trends, I think social bookmarking is a fad, but it could have an impact on search engines. Syndication is a bigger deal (ever wonder why Google bought Feedburner, but not Digg, Del.icio.us, etc.?). I played it safe by adding social bookmarking to Nuke, and (soon) nukeFEED for syndication. Software services are definitely becoming more popular. For example, what if NukeScripts provided a security service - NukeSentinel Online? - for Nuke sites that is constantly updated without having to install anything on a Nuke site. What if Code-Authors offered a spam-blocking service that could be integrated with Nuke? Or, RavenPHPScripts provided an automatic upgrade service for RavenNuke? It would certainly be a great way to increase revenue...

Who knows what the future holds? It sure is fun thinking about it!

Nuke On!

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:27 am Reply with quote

:clap:

Well said amigo!

Susann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Well we `ll see what the future brings.

Joomla was the winner of 2006 at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

PHPNuke was not mentioned last year.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote

Kguske should have listed himself because his work on incorporating wysiwyg into Ravennuke has substantially improved the user experience. And administrator's I might add.

The way I look at it there is still a lot of "low hanging fruit" available in moving forward with Ravennuke from the PHPnuke base that it originated from. There are some great concepts in PHPnuke including auto-recognition of new modules and themes and blocks that comply with somewhat loose and undocumented "standards" but there are a lot of areas where the programming needs to be tightened up. Ravennuke 2.02 and 2.10 were giant steps in that direction but there are at least a few more giant steps needed.

Susann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Yes, he should listed himself but Amigos is that a topic about names or who did what, why, when and how often ?
Then you should also list here all the NukeSites wich closed their doors, wich closed their forums lately and gave up.
You should also publish interviews of the owner of these websites with the reasons why they closed their doors. That would be really interesting.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote

I agree this isn't about who did what, when, etc. My point was to show that there are definitely people willing to continue improving and expanding Nuke. For that reason, I'm not as interested in dwelling on the sites that closed. Some reasons are known (cost, ownership, no more time, etc.). I don't think I've heard anything other than personal reasons for closing sites, so I don't think we would get much of a response by asking people to relive their issues...

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote

Would have been nice if you had posted a link to the actual article. Without that , you post is almost classic spam.

evaders99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote

Anything linking to Widecircles is definitely a spammer Smile
Post was clipped and moved

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote

evaders99 wrote:
Anything linking to Widecircles is definitely a spammer Smile
Post was clipped and moved

Thanks! One of these days I'll find the time to figure out how to do that without the use of a high velocity projectile.

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote

So a year later whats the trend now ?
What happened with Nuke Evolution the most promising open source CMS ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic