Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Blocks
steve_lemaster
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote

Is it possible to place a hit counter inside a specific block to count hits within it?

I have a YouTube video embedded in a block that I would like to track the amount of times it has been viewed.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote

If you want the counter to be "persistent" and cumulative, I think you'd need to store it in a MYSQL table. I don't know if there is an existing table for you to use, probably best to define your own with an integer field, read the value in it, increment it by one and store it each time the video is accessed.

But yes that logic could be contained in a block.

steve_lemaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote

I figured as much. I am a bit skittish on goofing with my database and was hoping I could place the code within the block.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote

steve_lemaster, PHP is not "persistent", so you have to figure out other ways to cache the data. A database or a file are really your only options and my vote would be for database as it is ready made to do exactly this (plus it handles all the record locking for you).

fkelly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote

For what it's worth: if you use a separate (new) database table for this and embed the logic in a new block, the chances of doing damage are minimal. You can even use NSNgroups + the admin screens to make the block only visible to a group that includes only you. I'd also recommend having a PHPmyadmin window open as you develop it so you can see exactly what happens to the tables. And there's my mysql.php hack (search for it) that allows you to capture any database errors.

Of course having a localhost test system to start with is the ne plus ultra.

steve_lemaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote

fkelly wrote:
For what it's worth: if you use a separate (new) database table for this and embed the logic in a new block, the chances of doing damage are minimal. You can even use NSNgroups + the admin screens to make the block only visible to a group that includes only you. I'd also recommend having a PHPmyadmin window open as you develop it so you can see exactly what happens to the tables. And there's my mysql.php hack (search for it) that allows you to capture any database errors.

Of course having a localhost test system to start with is the ne plus ultra.

Ah! I never thought of that. This seems to be the logical approach.

Just to make sure I am understanding you correctly, you are saying create a separate database for the block in which I am going to place the hit counter in.

Now if I only understood how to write code for MySQL Laughing

montego

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote

steve_lemaster, no, just another table within your existing database. Seriously, just use phpMyAdmin to "Add Table" and you are off and running.... well, ok, so you still have to code it. Wink

fkelly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quote

Hey! I thought I had a three hour time advantage on you M. but you were here ahead of me anyway. But what M. said Steve.

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:25 am Reply with quote

You can create a seperate PHP page to track the hits.. and just load the page in a block using an iframe
Of course, this won't track anyone who views it through Youtube's site directly

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
steve_lemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea how to code something like this?

The YouTube clip is using the embedding feature and I don't know if that would be relevant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Blocks

View next topic
View previous topic