Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's Customized Distribution Packs
Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:41 pm Reply with quote

Well, by right or might, rightly or not, needed or not, I guess, I caved and I am going to release another 'custom' distro! My customizations are more pre-loaded distros with patches (thanks to Chatserv and others including myself). I need testers just like last time. And, if there are popular, needed addons that you would like me to entertain, post those too. However, as with the last pack, I will only include addons and modifications that DO NOT alter the standard nuke database tables. I do not want to try to make sure that all the addons provided as well as any you might want to add work and play well with others Laughing! I will be working on this as diligently as possible but I am not inclined right now to put an ETA, but it will be before the end of April Wink

sharlein
Member Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote

Count on me if I can help. I would test on my site. I am still running 6.5 Steve

Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:06 pm Reply with quote

Hi Raven: Id be more than happy to beta test for you.

Regards

Joe Robertson
Porcupine PC
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Nukeum66
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:29 pm Reply with quote

You know I'm in!! Smile

Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:38 pm Reply with quote

This Southerner (as in Hemisphere) as well. Smile

Nelson
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:17 am Reply with quote

I would like to help out as well. This time, tho, I would like to test it on my Windows box. Very Happy

--Nelson

diabluntd
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:22 am Reply with quote

I'd love to participate. I run a site with over 7,000 members so i'd love to test out the new version before i go to it.

raven rules!

CodyG
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:31 am Reply with quote

Hi Raven ... I'll be there for you too. I've got a couple of domains that need working.

Just to be clear ... You won't be adding Event Calendar, Groups, or Protector? I get to add those myself, again. Rolling Eyes Wink

On Apr 14 I begin a new SIG at my local computer club ... it's all about php-nuke/cms/portal! I'm no expert, but it seems I'm more expert than the rest of them and they were impressed with my presentation last fall, so now I get hardware and software and a lot of newbies, all in real time, and we are going to nuke until we drop or until we have a new portal for the members.

I've been angsting about what version to start with. Things will be flexible enough for long enough that I'm hoping we will end up with Nuke-OP (or is that Nuke Portal?) sometime in the future.

I think I'll start them off with 6.9 and fixes and then upgrade to your new distro and then install those pesky table altering modules.

Thanks for sharing your passion for nuke. So many of us benefit in so many ways.

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:35 am Reply with quote

CodyG wrote:
Hi Raven ... I'll be there for you too. I've got a couple of domains that need working.

Just to be clear ... You won't be adding Event Calendar, Groups, or Protector? I get to add those myself, again. Rolling Eyes Wink
Correct. The problem is that if someone wants to remove those apps then they have to muck with the tables and that is never fun! I guess if I receive enough encouragement, requests, kaching!$ Embarassed Laughing I might reconsider Wink

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:38 am Reply with quote

CodyG wrote:
On Apr 14 I begin a new SIG at my local computer club ... it's all about php-nuke/cms/portal! I'm no expert, but it seems I'm more expert than the rest of them and they were impressed with my presentation last fall, so now I get hardware and software and a lot of newbies, all in real time, and we are going to nuke until we drop or until we have a new portal for the members.

I've been angsting about what version to start with. Things will be flexible enough for long enough that I'm hoping we will end up with Nuke-OP (or is that Nuke Portal?) sometime in the future.

I think I'll start them off with 6.9 and fixes and then upgrade to your new distro and then install those pesky table altering modules.
I'd use 7.2 if it were me. And congratulations on being asked back!
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your passion for nuke. So many of us benefit in so many ways.
And thank you Cody for your encouragement! Seems we've been together for a while in these endeavors Wink

CodyG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:31 am Reply with quote

You're right, of course. I'll start with 7.2.

Removing those modules?? Why would anyone want to do that? Nuke is so much better with a decent calendar, groups, and that protector thingy. I suppose you could provide virgin core files without the addons and an sql statement to clean up the db. But for me the issue is getting those mods into nuke in the first place.

I don't mind adding those modules by hand, except that it is crazy work and I'm bound to miss something even if I do line by line comparision and copy/paste from a mod file to my online files.

Ya... it's been a couple of years... I love my nuke, Raven. It's my PCBoard in the 21st century. And where there are others loving their nukes... I'm going to be there.

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:59 am Reply with quote

Well, not only removing them but adding new ones. If you haven't had the pleasure of installing those you may end up screwing them up when adding new addons.

koun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:09 pm Reply with quote

Could test 2!

Salieri
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:00 pm Reply with quote

just brainstorming here so don't hurt me because they're db altering add ons: I would say that a huge percentage of people would want a googletap and protector... just my opinion. Thanks Raven. Very Happy

Also for some strange reason looking at your forums, a Advanced quick reply hack would be cool... Smile

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Salieri wrote:
just brainstorming here so don't hurt me because they're db altering add ons: I would say that a huge percentage of people would want a googletap and protector... just my opinion. Thanks Raven. Very Happy

Also for some strange reason looking at your forums, a Advanced quick reply hack would be cool... Smile
Thanks for the suggestions. GT is definitely out because it really is a site specific addon, imo. I say that because if you are running IIS you can't use .htaccess. I want to try to only install universal addons.

Salieri

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:01 am Reply with quote

ahh I see, well I just had an idea, two bundles:

One which is universal for all servers etc etc.

Another with googletap and some other essentials...?

I don't know if this will cause more trouble then it's worth though.

Thanks Raven. Smile

jpirvin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote

Count me in, I would love to test a new version.

antinportugal
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:46 am Reply with quote

I would be happy to help test to

and how about adding spchat as a module Smile

Adrian

MickP
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:14 pm Reply with quote

can test as a clean install if needed, now have plenty of room on my servers, and after the next little upgrade, even more Shocked

CodyG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:13 am Reply with quote

I think universal means Protector for sure, and likely Groups too.

I don't understand that point system in 7.2 ... it says it's User Groups, but it's like nothing I've ever seen before. I want groups like NSN Groups, where I can set modules and blocks to be visible to whatever I group I choose to create and an easy interface to add members to a group. I don't know why this feature wasn't built into Nuke ver 2.

Yes Raven, I've added Protector, Groups, and Event Calender to my main site. It all works but the installation process wasn't pretty. However, I just can't run my site without those modules.

Salieri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:41 am Reply with quote

Any comments on my two bundle idea? Or is it worthless? Surprised

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:50 am Reply with quote

Salieri wrote:
Any comments on my two bundle idea? Or is it worthless? Surprised
Of course it's worthless, er, I mean NOT worthless Laughing The main problem is that it is more work for me which I don't need Wink However, it sounds like a great project for you Smile

Salieri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:00 am Reply with quote

The only thing I don't know who to install well is GT, but I'll give it a try.. Wink

So yeah that idea was for self gain, so sue me. Very Happy Surprised Laughing

MickP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:08 am Reply with quote

I could add the " some other essentials" to the distro when out, but will not do the GT, had bad server loads with that in the past, and do not want again, tho I guess I could on one of the old servers I use.

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:12 am Reply with quote

The main reason why I will not add GT is that mod_rewrite is only available if you are running Apache. And, believe it or not, not everyone does. We're still working on converting them but not all have seen the light Laughing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's Customized Distribution Packs

View next topic
View previous topic