Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.00.00 - v2.02.00 Distro
themadhacker
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote

Just as the subject says. I would like to know the easiest way to not have the Fake Email field show up for a user to register.

I realize that this doesnt even work very well to start with...and I dont want anyone being able to use a fake email since this site is not open to the public...but an entirely private site.

I thought I could just remove the code...but was afraid it would be tied deeper into other areas that it might break my site.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote

It shouldn't break your site, but you'll never know until you try it.

Make sure you have a backup of any files you change and give it a go.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote

The fake email field shows up on the your info area of your account as well as in a couple of admin screens. Specifically it's in index.php of your_account and in the edituser function of that program. The form it is shown on has this code for it:

Code:
 ."<tr><td bgcolor='$bgcolor2'><b>"._UFAKEMAIL.":</b><br />"._OPTIONAL."</td>"

."<td bgcolor='$bgcolor3'><input type=\"text\" name=\"femail\" value=\"".$userinfo['femail']."\" size=\"50\" maxlength=\"255\"><br />"._EMAILPUBLIC."</td></tr>"

The the value of the form variable femail is used in SQL statements to update the corresponding field in the users table. You might be able to eliminate the entire line from the form but then $femail would have no value in the SQL. Probably it would be better to make it a hidden field. One thing you'd have to consider is that if present users have values in that field they'd have no way to change them. You could also change the text associated with the constant _EMAILPUBLIC to say something about "we don't use this on our site". That would be in the language file for your_account I believe.

Anyway the advise Jakec gave about backing things up is good and you might also want to run thru the administration screens for adding and changing users when you have made your changes and make sure nothing is broken there.

themadhacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the input!

I was, and still am, worried that disabling femail variable would break the system. I will do some playing around on a test system with this before I try it on a production system.

Actually on my ravennuke7.6 2.x install...it doesnt even work...meaning it doesnt matter what is put in the fake email field...it shows the real email anyway. Its just that I would, for this one particular site, like to remove it all together since its a totally private site and SPAM wouldnt be an issue.

Thanks for the comments...and if anyone else has removed this and has any input....its greatly appreciated.

Very Happy

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

Actually on my ravennuke7.6 2.x install...it doesnt even work...meaning it doesnt matter what is put in the fake email field...it shows the real email anyway.

It would help us greatly if you could elaborate as to where you are seeing the real email vs. the fake email as well as whether you are logged in as Admin at the time.

Very much appreciated.

themadhacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Well I can hover the email link in the Members List module as well as from the email button on a forums post and see the real email address.

You make a good point....since this is a totally private website. The forums are not even accessable nor is the Members List module unless you are logged in. Of course I only have 2 logons....Admin and my moderator permissioned user account...both of which would probably show me the real email addy.

I guess I should create a 2nd test user account (I already created one test user to see if this worked)...so I can actually log on and see the Members List module and forums...then check the links again and see what they display.

I will update this thread as soon as I get the time to do just that.

Thanks! Very Happy

montego

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

I will update this thread as soon as I get the time to do just that.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.00.00 - v2.02.00 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic