Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...
twelves
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote

I have collected most of the URL’s because, I frankly cant make a module that can convert the tables in the Nuke Links Sql. (Using Excel)

What I want is to extract the Open Directory [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] with many of the commercial software out there. (See links below)

Then Import the links directly in to Php-Nuke and avoid using the many commercial Costly software’s out there!

I have collected several links and examples for someone who may know about this kind of stuff.

As well as my current running Dmoz portal at my Nuke page.
(Does not use the Links Nuke SQL data) DANG!!!

Hear are the links and examples:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] Extreme DMOZ Extractor 1.1

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] (Commercial Index Software) INDEXU v.3.1 $300!!! OUCHIE!

Dmoz Link Extractor
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

DMOZ and Links Suite 4 (DMOZ Extractor) I actually purchased this! Data tables are not available for import into Nuke but can be converted to ASCII. ??? Out of my skill set. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

URL, Meta Tag Extractor Module: (Not Nuke Module) DANG! [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Ok, this would all be great! I could down load the DMOZ Guitar links section only:
(I run a guitar web page) and instantly!!! Have 100,000 Hand edited Web links!
Like Guitar, 567
Effects 432 (Links)
Banjo 321 (links)
Acoustic 4321 (Links)
Hard Rock (387,982 Links)
Midi and Synth (4435 links)

Hear is my working Examples so far: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] (This is the ENTIRE DMOZ links on my page) the Data File is hosted directly from [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] So Its got links to toilet paper manufacturing and junk. I want it all guitar! And this is NON Nuke! So members would need several accounts to submit to both my page and this separate portal.
Hear is one that is operating as a Nuke Module but the data file is STILL hosted at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and you get 4432 links to paper products! RATS!
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] (Music only DMOZ Dumps) and this file can be downloaded and installed in the Personal DMOZ portal [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] “Pod” available from [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] (Installed at my page above)

I have sent emails to several of the DMOZ authors to get the Dumps installed in my POD link above, sure easy….I visited the Forums and I am working on it…

But it’s not going to be Nuke-Php! And that’s what I want!

So, If any one knows of this as a Nuke resource to mass populate the nuke web links,
I think the nuke community would greatly benefit and Id even my self buy this from the author for say $15 if it was a pay module.

Thanks, Ill keep looking this week for a Nuke option and it should be easy to make a SQL file from the Links Extractor software and import into Excel and then change tables and then import the data into Nuke SQL data and if someone can make a template for this that would also be cool.

Peace.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:01 pm Reply with quote

Well, my G 9/6 chord just became a D+ ! You have me so totally confused I just tried to play Take Five in 3/4 instead of 5/4 Laughing Can you try this all again and just state, for my tired old brain, bottom line, what you need?

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote

BTW, just sent you a PRIVATE link to enjoy some good guitar by Johnny Smith. let me know what you think.

twelves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:24 pm Reply with quote

OOPS, it appears I snipped off the first part of the post.

My apologies. Some times I am not very clear.

Is there a way to convert the DMOZ directory Extractions to a nuke data base?
I purchased software that will down load thousands of links and categories from Yahoo or DMOZ And out put the entire category as an ASCII or Excel data base.

So far it is only compatible with the commercial software like Gossamer threads.
(Like yahoo)

Then some how convert those categories and thousands of URL and links and then import it all into Nukes Built in Web Links?
Mr. Green

twelves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:11 pm Reply with quote

Ok, I have a Dump from [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and its in Microsoft Excel.

I can make it in any other format. But this one looked good for my limited skills with data base work.

What I want to know if their is a way to make this data work with the nuke web links?

Very Happy
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Any how, I will continue my research and post my results.

Wink

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Does it have to be in Web Links? Why not just make it a block/module of its own?

twelves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:02 pm Reply with quote

Ok, sure. But will it still be a Web links collection?

I don't know for sure.

I was thinking that I have only about 20 links in my web page and their has to be some way to extract the links and include them in Nuke.

Hand editing the links is way to hard for human hands.

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote

It would be relatively simple to convert the xls into links and wrap it in a block or a module.

twelves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:20 pm Reply with quote

Well, I was thinking if it was a donation share ware Module like some out that cost $10 to download and it was really good....

I would be intrested in purchasing it.

I think this kind of thing is lacking with nuke.

I dont know of any out there that can use DMOZ dumps.

You know, I converted it from Links to XLS and I can get it in XML also. Mr. Green

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:24 pm Reply with quote

Send me the dump in xml, txt, and csv. I'll whip up a prototype and if you're interested we can discuss kaching!$

twelves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:02 pm Reply with quote

Ok, the author wants to take a look at the Nuke Links_Links SQL data.

I was wondering what kind of data to send him?

He thought he might make software to convert this.

Wink

karakas
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:14 am Reply with quote

twelves wrote:

Is there a way to convert the DMOZ directory Extractions to a nuke data base?

Yes: Read the PHP-Nuke HOWTO, especially the section on How to enter thousands of web links, in the chapter Miscellaneous, where you will find more examples of this kind.

Download the PHP-Nuke HOWTO in the format of your choice from the Formats section. Notice that there is a module version of it too, i.e. you can install the PHP-Nuke HOWTO as a PHP-Nuke module on your site.

(Note: move your mouse above the text to see the links, in the default theme of this site links are hard to tell apart from normal text, unless I'm getting colour-blind...).

karakas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:21 am Reply with quote

You may also want to have a look at the ODP module for PHP-Nuke.

BTW, Raven, what happened to the PHP-Nuke HOWTO module on your site? Is there any problem with the new version? I will be glad to help if there is.

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:13 am Reply with quote

It's there under Nuke Manual Smile - I think it went inactive when I updated it, but I reactivated it now. Thanks for a GREAT work!

karakas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:41 pm Reply with quote

Ah...that's good to know, that it works O.K. on some other site - not only on my local installations! Wink

I always tell people "look at Raven's Website at this link here, if you want to see how it looks like" in my own forum, so it's alleviating that everything is O.K.

Now that you have the new version on your site, you can always tell people "look in that chapter first and ask again if it does not help". And you don't need to link to my site, but only to yours.

Then send me the link to the forum thread that discusses a solution that the HOWTO did NOT treat, or did not treat very well. I then can include the solution in the next version (and the forum thread gets a link as a credit, of course).

If you imagine that the HOWTO will eventually be copied in servers all around the world (some Linux distributions even include the HOWTO's in their CD's), then this is the best advertising for your forum's quality and your site.

If a few forum owners do this, we'll get the most unbeatable resource on PHP-Nuke! The forum owners will get some links, the users will get THE resource for their needs, everybody is happy! Cool

I think we are still underusing Internet's potential on this.

...but I digress from the topic of this thread:

twelves, did my method from the HOWTO solve your problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...

View next topic
View previous topic