Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)
azbat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote

Sorry to start a new topic for this, but didn't want to barge in on somebody else's thread. Anyway, here goes.

A friend of mine inherited a site from a company he works for that was already setup to use PHP-Nuke. It's pretty old. Hasn't been updated since prob 2004 or later. So I don't know which version he has, but he does have NukeSentinel 2.2.0. He doesn't really understand much of the system. That's why I'm posting on his behalf.

Anyway, I just changed ISPs recently and noticed I can't get into his site anymore. I get the dreaded "You are using an Invalid IP to access this site!" error message. My friend thought it was my ISP, but I knew better. After searching on Google I determined he needed to update the IP2Country data. I did a check and my IP address range is one of those that was originally reserved by IANA and now released. Sorry to make the story so long. Smile

So, now I'm here asking if he can just use the data files downloaded here...
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

The problem I have with this is that the download(IP2Country 2007-04-06 Full) says it's for "NukeSentinel 2.5.00 and up users". Will this version still work on NS 2.2.0? I assume it will, but I want to make sure.

The instructions in the file are little cryptic. That file has 2 sub-directories: HTML and SQL. I take it both are required and they should both be uploaded via FTP to the "/root/import/" directory? Once the upload is finish then I'm required to go into NukeSentinel and do the import right? Where is this located? I don't have access to the system, but I need to explain it to my friend. Is there a IP2Country Import wizard? How do you get to it? If anybody can help me out here I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Tommy McClain

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote

yes...normaly it will..
but its easier to delete the sentinel database tables and do a new install instead of upgrading that oldie.
do check the install file for changes....and naturally the required patched nuke version that you must have for all of this...

azbat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quote

hitwalker wrote:
yes...normaly it will..
but its easier to delete the sentinel database tables and do a new install instead of upgrading that oldie.
do check the install file for changes....and naturally the required patched nuke version that you must have for all of this...

Thanks for the reply. His employer does not want him to upgrade or replace the PHP-Nuke or NukeSentinel. He has to keep the versions he currently has. As for checking the install file and patched version, I'm not sure how to do that or even how to explain it to my friend. I could send you the site in PM and maybe you could look and find out for me? Like I said, I no longer can view the site.

Tommy McClain

hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote

well that doesnt make any sense...
and its not recommended to use that old stuff....
sentinel had some important changes as well..
this isnt a case of simply updating the ip2country..
and from looking at a site i cant tell whatever version or patch it is..

azbat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote

hitwalker wrote:
well that doesnt make any sense...
and its not recommended to use that old stuff....
sentinel had some important changes as well..
this isnt a case of simply updating the ip2country..
and from looking at a site i cant tell whatever version or patch it is..

So you're saying that without upgrading NukeSentinel to a newer version the IP2Country tables can't be updated? Can the PHP code be patched to fix it? I've seen some messages on some board that bypasses the IP check altogether.

Tommy McClain

hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote

well i can remember some changes but this sounds a bit weird dont you think?
Why would anyone refuse to upgrade or do a new install when security is concerned ?
this is support....and its not my intention to give any false howto directions..
i cant keep up with all the changes but i can rember some where the ip2country was involved...
problem is,that version is way behind on the current..

azbat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote

hitwalker wrote:
well i can remember some changes but this sounds a bit weird dont you think?
Why would anyone refuse to upgrade or do a new install when security is concerned ?
this is support....and its not my intention to give any false howto directions..
i cant keep up with all the changes but i can rember some where the ip2country was involved...
problem is,that version is way behind on the current..

I can't get into the details here, but suffice it to say the web site has worked fine with no problems the past couple of years or so. I don't think they are worried about security. In fact, if it wasn't for me they wouldn't even know this problem existed. Anyway, I just need to know if the IP2Country tables can be fixed without upgrading NukeSentinel. If so, what are the steps involved.

Tommy McClain

hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote

like i explained in your pm.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote

ok i understand,but an answer..?
no...in order to update it all you need access to the site or by phpmyadmin...
but i think its changed...or im mistaken....but if so the ip2country upgrade wont work...that will result in errors.

azbat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote

I guess I'll have to wait to talk to my friend. He does have access to the admin program. Not sure if it is phpmyadmin. I take it before he uploads the latest IP2Country tables, he'll want to make a back-up of the current ones and then delete them? What if he gets there and there is no tables in the IP2Country database?

Tommy McClain

hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote

you never know.....
if he can get in he can try to import it all...
but making a backup is a good idea...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)

View next topic
View previous topic