Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke
Argus
Client

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Applied the chatserv fix and am now unable to post news. I click post and it disappears. No entry into the db at all for it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Arg

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:18 pm Reply with quote

How about more details? Nuke version patch release (I assume you got the right one for your nuke version).

Argus

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:21 pm Reply with quote

Nuke 6.5, chatserv patch version 6.5

I just got around to creating a new superuser account and in addition to not being able to post news, I can't log in as the superuser. I just sends me back to the login screen again. I checked the db and it at least recorded the new superuser properly.

-Arg

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:26 pm Reply with quote

This is an existing site that was working not a fresh install?

Argus

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote

existing site. I got hacked. I caught them right as they started it. They changed the name and password of my superuser account, created another new superuser account and were starting to go to town. So, I applied the chatserv fix, emptied the nuke_authors table and created a new superuser.

Some stuff that has changed since I did it:

My info block no longer has a logout link
Can't post news, doesn't save news
Can't login as new superuser

EDIT: Could it possibly have something to do with theme.php? I noticed that the patch included new theme.php files for the standard themes, but of course I don't use a standard (incl.) theme.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:34 pm Reply with quote

Try replacing back the old admin.php and see if that resolves the login issue.

Just take it one issue at a time get that straight then the news unless someone else has had the same problem thats the easiest way to proceed.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:38 pm Reply with quote

Ok that puts things into a new light. I'd assume you either restored your original admin or deleted them all and are attempting to recreate a new one?

Also I'd consider completely wiping out the files on the site as in deleting them all at least in the main directory because chances are they wrote some files or to some default ones. Then uploading the files and with the new patched files at the same time.

I really think if its the patch files causing the problem someone else would have experienced it too.

Argus

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:42 pm Reply with quote

Well, the thing is, I'm sure it was just kiddies. They created two accts, you could see they were just starting to deface stuff. That aside, after I deleted the new acct and renamed the original acct once again, I had another user, still a superuser bump up another login of mine. At that point everything was working fine. It wasn't until I patched and then emptied the author table that it stopped working

Argus

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote

I'm looking around and seeing other things changed since I patched also. My scrolling forum block has changed as well. It doesn't scroll anymore and has different graphics in it.

Argus

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote

You know, I backed up the site about two hours before this happened. I wonder if I should just re-install from back up and then manually apply the chatserv fix?

EDIT: btw - changing back to the raven fix admin.php file had no effect either.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:50 pm Reply with quote

Ok do you happen to have a recent backup of the authors table you could restore just that table from? That should put everything in synch. But there is a real good chance they used a script that wrote their own "config" file which would bypass your defaults.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote

Hey great yes I'd give that a go then we won't be wondering if its a db issue.

Argus

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:52 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean with the script comment.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:09 pm Reply with quote

Just humour me and delete all the files for which you have backups. Some write stuff to the theme.php some to index.htm some a config that bypasses mainfile.php. Its worth while to take the extra step.

Argus

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:11 pm Reply with quote

Hmm when I said backed up, I meant the db - it's been some time since I backed up the files.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:17 pm Reply with quote

Ok that brings up another issue do you have any mods that require hacks to the system files? If not you can just upload from the distibution and the patch files.

If so did you apply those changes to the patch files before uploading them?

Argus

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:20 pm Reply with quote

I think so yes. I apologize but I'm a bit new where it comes to this. I did have to edit mainfile.php a couple of times. Chatserv's instructions say to manually change any corefiles and I really think that might be my problem.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:25 pm Reply with quote

Ok here is a tool that (for windows) makes doing just that much easier. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
It will compare both files side by side and allow you to merge left or right lines of code from your files. Makes those updates hugely easier.

Argus

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote

Thanks much for your help. Makes it easier when there's someone to help you muddle through it.

-Arg

Argus

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:33 am Reply with quote

Hey there...

Needing to revive this topic as I am finally getting around to installing all my files. I deleted all the files and uploaded the backed up files I had. I started to upload the fix one file at a time. Recall I was having a problem with posting news stories. So everything was fine, I tested a story a file at a time, until I got to admin/modules/stories.php. All of a sudden, I hit post and the story just disappears. Now in comparing it using WinMerge (tx much for that), there are 92 differences. Unfortunately, being a bit of a Bean when it comes to this code, that does me no good. Any ideas? (They are big files): Here's two lines that I wonder about:

Chatserv line:
Code:

case "PostAdminStory":
    postAdminStory($automated, $year, $day, $month, $hour, $min, $subject, $hometext, $bodytext, $topic, $catid, $ihome, $alanguage, $acomm, $pollTitle, $optionText);
    break;

Old Line:
Code:

case "PostAdminStory":
    postAdminStory($automated, $year, $day, $month, $hour, $min, $subject, $hometext, $bodytext, $topic, $catid, $ihome, $alanguage, $acomm, $pollTitle, $optionText, $assotop);
    break;

Curious about what $assotop is and how it relates.

Thx,

-Arg

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:15 am Reply with quote

thats for the associated topics

Argus

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:58 pm Reply with quote

I guess it's not pertinent to why I can't post news then. Curious it wouldn't be included in the line though.

-Arg

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quote

Yeah I'm not sure on that one but I think there has been some that have been removed where it was not needed for better security.

Don't forget to check out the Admin Stories files too. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke

View next topic
View previous topic